Project: 1964 Corvair Monza 900 coupe in Hot Springs, AR

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
RedLightBrew

Project: 1964 Corvair Monza 900 coupe in Hot Springs, AR

Post by RedLightBrew »

Purchased 07/20/2012
Purpose is daily driver. Not really complete restoration.
Runs OK. Interior is not original or stock for any year, looks nice besides a rip in driver's seat lower upholstery.
Yellow exterior is much brighter than original. Like Suzuki yellow! Few rust bubble in paint.
All exterior lights work exc. backup. Dash lights don't work. 4 speed very loose and difficult to find gears, but can eventually find them all. Brakes work, but parking brake doesn't.

I'll post more pictures with updates as I make improvements.
1964 Corvair Monza 900 Coupe (bought 2012)
1962 Corvair Monza Spyder Convertible (sold 2002)
RedLightBrew

Re: Project: 1964 Corvair Monza 900 coupe in Hot Springs, A

Post by RedLightBrew »

Got it up on jack stands today. I seem to have a leak from where the shifter shaft enters the trans. Any way to repair that without pulling the whole engine/drivetrain? I haven't come up with another reason to pull the engine unless it is required to repair this. Here's a picture of what I'm seeing:

The driver's side floor is the only major rust repair that will need to be done.

RedLightBrew

Post by RedLightBrew »

TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

Allright, nice thatyou find the post, keep those pictures posted from the vair :-)

Good luck
Vaircooled

Post by Vaircooled »

And there you go. ::-):
Shane
1960 700 Sedan
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Since your shifter is "hunting", you should also get the shifter shaft bushing kit from Clark's... requires removing shifter shaft from vehicle and installing bronze bushings to replace the plastic ones that failed 35 or more years ago.
On page 115 of their online catalog, item #11, since you have an early model, they are nylon, not bronze like LM peeps get.
RedLightBrew

Post by RedLightBrew »

Gregory_Miller wrote:Since your shifter is "hunting", you should also get the shifter shaft bushing kit from Clark's... requires removing shifter shaft from vehicle and installing bronze bushings to replace the plastic ones that failed 35 or more years ago.
On page 115 of their online catalog, item #11, since you have an early model, they are nylon, not bronze like LM peeps get.
Yep! Great! Already ordered #11, 15, 16 & 18 and they should be here tomorrow. The coupler (#18) holes are HUGE, and oval shaped, compared to the pin, so I went ahead and ordered it all! Just have to get the shifter shaft seal on the way and hopefully that issue will be behind me.

What's the consensus on the finned oil pan and valve covers from Clarks or Otto? worth it? I do like the drain plug being on the back of the cover on the clarks version, but that alone isn't worth the $$ to me.
RedLightBrew

Post by RedLightBrew »

I found the old broken back up switch. Comes out easily, threads look good and wires for it are near by. So I've got that going for me.

Is there actually a drain plug for the transmission. My shop manual says there should be one on the lower rear of the trans. But it doesn't seem to be drilled for a plug. Just a blank space that could be drilled and tapped. The cover on the driver's side has a filler plug that I haven't messed with yet. i want to get the shifter seal installed before I drain and refill. Do I just need to get a hand pump to drain it? Also is the axle fluid separate from the transmission? I'm reading through the shop manuals.

It was a bugger, but I got the parking brake tightened up enough to work, finally.
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

i know that in 66 the fluid is shared between the trans and differential, i beleive that is true for all years
Drive it like you stole it
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
64 monza convertible 4 spd
Grand Ledge, Michigan
RedLightBrew

Post by RedLightBrew »

A few more pictures from today:

What's missing here?

While the tunnel covers were off today I descaled and painted them. I also descaled and painted the voltage regulator cover. Only nice shiny black thing in the engine compartment! Since I don't plan on having the spare tire in the engine compartment anymore, I removed the mount and surprisingly decluttered the area! A few things ordered: floor pan for driver's side, back up switch, shifter shaft seal, kick panels, front emerg brake cable (couldn't get quite tight enough due to corrosion in threads), brake and clutch pedal rubbers, front seat belts.

I have plenty to do for a month or so. I'll keep posting updates and pictures.
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Keep up the great work, good to see another one getting back on the road.
RedLightBrew

Post by RedLightBrew »

Got a box from Clark's today. Installed carbs and things seem to run very well. Seems to be a tiny fuel leak. I've tightened things and it's much better but still slightly there I think.
I also got weather stripping for the doors but haven't installed yet.
All interior is out.
Trying to figure out the best way to tackle the heat/defrost. Can I even get to the heater box and fan? So far I've just noticed the fresh air hose in the engine compartment is gone and plate bolted over openings. Would there be a reason for this?
Attachments
image-3696424847.jpg
image-3277665201.jpg
image-4045433838.jpg
image-3536832695.jpg
image-703090493.jpg
Vaircooled

Post by Vaircooled »

Not really sure why anyone would block the fresh air hose unless the car came from a really cold climate such as Canada or even up here in Alaska. Other than that I would think it would spell trouble. Did you see if they rerouted the fresh air intake or had it vent in from somewhere else? Not sure how that could go but anything else would have to come from underneath I would think.
Shane
1960 700 Sedan
RedLightBrew

Post by RedLightBrew »

Had a great family day today! But I did sneak into the garage after the kids went to bed and got one air filter on. The 2-1/4" ID exhaust adapter works like a charm. Other filter was on back order but should be here by the end if the week. I'll get it on there this weekend.
Attachments
image-35855441.jpg
RedLightBrew

Post by RedLightBrew »

Removing shocks to replace with kyb gas a just all around. Got the shocks on amazon for $34ea. With free shipping. Thats the best deal i could find. May replace springs while I'm at it and lower the front end a bit. Whats best source for springs? If anyone has tips for lowering or reason not to lower front end on EM please chime in. Are new springs really necessary if they're not broken? I guess they can get tired and saggy over time. I'm also going to open up the brakes and clean out and check shoes etc. and change if needed. Lots of dry rotted rubber piece in the suspension an steering linkages. Are this item common at local auto part store? Haven't looked into it yet.
Attachments
image-430160440.jpg
image-1300839621.jpg
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

You are making some great progress! Thanks for the photos and updates.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”