Project: 1964 Corvair Monza 900 coupe in Hot Springs, AR

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
TexasUK
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Project: 1964 Corvair Monza 900 coupe in Hot Springs, A

Post by TexasUK »

I'm afraid I've got no answers for you, but I have just got a 64 convertible and I have just about all of the exact same questions to ask, and I've got just about exactly the same intentions. Not a concours, more a reliable daily driver.

If you get any answers I'd appreciate hearing them, and I'll do the same if I hear anything. Especially about getting to the heater box and fan, as we haven't had a summer over here this year, and I would like to keep as warm as can this winter.
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Wow!....that IS a bright yellow! That's cool, you're making some real progress there. You'll probably find that once you get the bugs worked out and every little thing repaired, daily driving it will just make that baby purrrrrr! :tu:
RedLightBrew

Post by RedLightBrew »

That is a crazy bright Suzuki yellow! The plan is to work everything else out and then drive for a while and then paint. That photo does make it look a little brighter that it actually is! And it was a cheap over spray by all the yellow in wheel wells, etc. I didn't notice it until I took that picture with the flash.
1964 Corvair Monza 900 Coupe (bought 2012)
1962 Corvair Monza Spyder Convertible (sold 2002)
RedLightBrew

Post by RedLightBrew »

I got out in the shop for a little bit tonight trying to get shocks and springs out. The front shocks are completely useless! Easily moveable top to bottom. Just riding on springs up there. Now I just need to figure out what to loosen and remove to get to the springs. I think on the rear all I need to remove is the leaf spring. Up front there appears to be several bolts to loosen and remove. Any pointers would be helpful. New KYB Gas a Just shocks arrived today. Springs should be here by weeks end. Hopefully get it all finished up this weekend. Drive for a while and decide how much to drop the front end. All is going well so far. Just slow with an hour in the shop here and there. But it's good therapy.
RedLightBrew

Post by RedLightBrew »

Got rear coil spring out no problem.
And lookey what was under that spring! Corn! Ha!
Attachments
image-356276324.jpg
image-145534857.jpg
Vaircooled

Post by Vaircooled »

Man that's corny....get it....uh....ahem.
Shane
1960 700 Sedan
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Or maybe that's the previous owner's teeth when the spring let loose.....LOL :drool:
RedLightBrew

Post by RedLightBrew »

Drivers side shock and spring DONE!!! Ordered springs from Clark's. These were over an inch taller than the ones currently on and was difficult to squeeze into place. But finally got it set. How much do I compress the bushings on top of the shock? Only rear drivers side done for now. More this weekend.
Attachments
image-2450534065.jpg
image-1318500831.jpg
RedLightBrew

Post by RedLightBrew »

Ok! I have front and rear driver's side shock and coil springs replaced! and Front passenger side is now complete. Just rear passenger side left. I went ahead and lowered the front end by cutting one rotation of coil off which ended up making the springs the same height as the old sagging springs that I removed so we will see how the car sits when I get it off the stands. Let's hope for just right! :fingerscrossed:

I am headed to the auto parts store now to see if they have some stabilizer bar bushings that will work, or I will have to order from clarks and wait until next weekend to finish up this part. No worries though! There is a lot more for me to do:

1. parking brake cable
2. front fuel line replacement (rubber one next to tank)
3. Driver's side floor replacement
4. Shifter shaft seal, linkage and bushing
5. etc.
6. etc.
7. etc.

This is the best therapy! I forgot how much I loved working on my '62 spyder vert back in the late '90s.

RedLightBrew

Post by RedLightBrew »

$81 for that stabilizer bar bushing set at local auto parts!!! I'll order from clarks and wait til next week to finish this part up. Geez!!!
RedLightBrew

Post by RedLightBrew »

OK! Shifter shaft seal is done. And the new transmission coupler is installed. Backup switch is in but not yet wired. I also got the 4th coil spring and shock installed this morning. Had to borrow a coil spring compressor for this one. Kind of weird, I didn't need it for any of the other springs. Anyway, it's a free tool to borrow from local auto parts. Tomorrow, I'll change the oil & filter, fill the gear box with oil and install the new parking brake front cable. I also made the adapter for the second air filter and installed it. We'll see if I have a tranny leak anywhere tomorrow. I did see a way to get to the heater blower motor with the right wheel off. It won't be easy, but it looks like it can be done from there. The wiring is there. I'll pull the blower and see if it works. I'll take more pictures when I get it off the jack stands to see how the front end lower turned out.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Thanks for the great photos and updates!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
RedLightBrew

Post by RedLightBrew »

The heater blower works!. But only on high from the switch in the car. I tried it before but I guess not on high. Probably just a switch problem, huh? After it blew a bunch of dust and old insulation out it ran fine. I did run the shop vac hose up in there to get anymore loose insulation out. The "air" and "heat" levers work and open the proper vents back there. The "defrost" lever is not conncected, but I saw that clarks has a fix kit for it. I have a few months before I need heat here so it's not on the priority list. So far no tranny leak! didn't get the oil changed yet. Maybe next weekend.
I'm getting a used "fresh air hose connector at firewall". Is there a special hose connector available that will connect to the engine cover/shroud? Couldn't find it at clarks. Or is there something easy to fabricate there? I have something in mind, but just wondering of others ideas. Thanks!
TexasUK
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TexasUK »

Your story seems to be an exact mirror of mine, except I have a misfire to deal with and not too bad suspension at the moment. I'd appreciate any detail on your method of getting the heater blower out, I also need to do this and don't have access to a lift.

I recently noticed a shiny gasket in my fresh air connector, which when I took it apart turned out to be a beer can side cut and used as a blocking piece. I can only think that it is too cold to need the fresh air over here, but I wondered if it would have any detrimental effect on the engine? Yours is an extreme version of that, at least the person who did mine made it reversible. Here is a pic of the associated sheet metal on the firewall. The blocking piece of can is on the engine end of the pipe.
IMG-20120828-00004.jpg
I've also got this extra pulley wheel on mine, would it have been for air conditioning? If so then I presume I have had a new engine in there at some point, from a different car.
IMG-20120828-00003.jpg
And you think corn was good, have a look at what I pulled out from underneath the rear windows. I noticed a little green leaf just behind the window, and when I reached down found a whole forest. Looks like it was an acorn that had fallen down there and germinated :)
1tree.jpg
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I have been told to block off that fresh air vent because it starves the air flow off of #5 cenlender
or jug, keeps from getting a hot spot in that area? Juat sayin what I heard, what do you guys think? Jimbo
RedLightBrew

Post by RedLightBrew »

I re-installed the rear leaf spring last night with all new rubber bits and bolts/nuts/cotter pins. There are 3 bolts on each side under the suspension arms that connect the leaf spring. Well, I broke one of them off on one side, so I need to drill it out and replace. I think I can just drill and cut threads in the hole and run a bolt up there. The metal is thick and strong there.

I filled the transmission and diff with gear oil. All seems to be holding tight right now. We'll see when I start driving it. Hopefully the shifter shaft seal was the only major leak. I'm in the middle of changing the oil, too. There were a couple of drips on some of the bolts holding on the oil pan, so I ordered a gasket. I'll replace that when it arrives and finish up the oil change.

I'm in the middle of fixing up the heater duct work. It's coming together nicely. The hard part is going to be replacing the ducts that go up to the windshield defrosters. Just some creative contorting will be required.

I found some wheels that I think will work as well! I'm waiting for an answer to a couple of questions in the wheel & tire forum before purchasing:

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”