my 65 Turbo

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Bobby65

Re: my 65 Turbo

Post by Bobby65 »

yeah i have a cousin with a 82 Datsun 280zx 2+2 T-top and he talks it up over my Corvair, and i was just wondering from someone who has owned both, i checked under the plymouth NO SWAY BAR, and yes it drives like it doesn't have one, this plymouth has been ridden hard and put up wet, everything is broken or worn out, nothing on the dash works, no speedo gas gauge temp gauge ammeter radio dash lights wipers the waterpump was bad and leaking and so was the radiator the front end is loose and needs balljonts and tie rod ends, mice have been in the interior and pissed on everything and the trunk floor is non existant, the weather stripping for the windows is gone, the block needs to be flushed out really bad, the heater core keeps getting plugged up, it leaked water in from eveywhere and just made the interior a mess they drove this thing until everything was broken and then the brakes went and it was parked, i should have walked away from this car its a turd, if it makes it through the winter its getting sold first thing in the spring to fund the corvair
Drive it like you stole it
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
64 monza convertible 4 spd
Grand Ledge, Michigan
JasonC
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by JasonC »

The plymouth isn't going to have a sway bar. Its a base car... The K member will be drilled for one, but the lower control arms will not have the tabs for the endlinks to attach to.
1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp 4spd
1992 BMW 325ic
1997 Jeep Cherokee SE 4x4
dawgfishx wrote:Pennsylvanians...Annoying the British since 1775 ! ;-)
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

well i just got a complete 65 drive train for free, 110, 3 speed manual, its all there, it was sitting upside down behind a barn for a while, i still have to clean it up but it might turn out to be not too bad once i scrape the dirt off and clean it up, i will post pics tomorrow
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

I am thinking about selling the valiant, and getting this http://lansing.craigslist.org/cto/3461508192.html i have always loved this body style, and the price is right, as long as it doesn't need to be rebuilt like the valiant did, and hey its got a V8, I'm going to give him a call and go check it out hopefully
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Bobby65 wrote:well i just got a complete 65 drive train for free, 110, 3 speed manual, its all there, it was sitting upside down behind a barn for a while, i still have to clean it up but it might turn out to be not too bad once i scrape the dirt off and clean it up, i will post pics tomorrow
Wow! How did you hear about the deal? Nice that the power pack is complete.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

i have always loved this body style, and the price is right, as long as it doesn't need to be rebuilt like the valiant did, and hey its got a V8, I'm going to give him a call and go check it out hopefully
Looks nice, and certainly an improvement over the Valiant. And what's a little body rust and a clogged fuel line to an experienced Corvair owner! Hope it checks out!!! :tu:

Be cautious with a non-running, non-drivable car with an owner-diagnosed "clogged fuel line". It is, after all, a 1969 and could have a rusty, contaminated fuel tank, fuel pump or carburetor problems, etc. Non-drivable means possibly a bargaining chip fo selling price negotiation. Perhaps a compression test on the engine might be in order for a mechanical "snapshot" of the piston rings, cylinders and valves, but that won't tell you the condition of the automatic transmission. A "sniff test" of the transmission fluid on the dipstick might tell you something about the condition of the transmission. Dirty fluid and/or a burned smell would be a bad sign.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

Be cautious with a non-running, non-drivable car with an owner-diagnosed "clogged fuel line". It is, after all, a 1969 and could have a rusty, contaminated fuel tank, fuel pump or carburetor problems, etc. Non-drivable means possibly a bargaining chip fo selling price negotiation. Perhaps a compression test on the engine might be in order for a mechanical "snapshot" of the piston rings, cylinders and valves, but that won't tell you the condition of the automatic transmission. A "sniff test" of the transmission fluid on the dipstick might tell you something about the condition of the transmission. Dirty fluid and/or a burned smell would be a bad sign.

i have yet to buy a car i can drive home! yeah gas tank, sending unit, fuel pump, and carb rebuild, are probbly the first things i would do, thats what i have done to my corvair and valiant even though neither had a bad fuel pump, and the valiant ran ok without rebuilding the carb, i replaced them just so Im not going to be on the side of the road because i didn't replace the fuel pump, or have a clogged fuel line, leave me stranded, i figure i will bring a lawn mower gastank and see if it will run off that, and i will check the tranny fluid like you said, and if that checks out and it has brakes, and there arent any other big issues it will definatly be an improvement, this valiant is just one thing after another, i have pratically rebuilt everything on the car, all new brakes, lines, wheel cyls, master cyl, fuel pump, sending unit, rebuilt carb, new waterpump, radiator has been repaired, all the rubber hoses have been replaced, new shock absorbers all the way around new balljoints, new front wheel bearings, it needs rear wheel bearings, it needs a new dash, and a radio, i put new carpet in it, the list goes on and on, and it really isnt anything special or cool, its just a four door, slant 6 beater, that 69 satellite is a 4 door but its something that would be worth fixing up
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

this engine i think is just going to be for the bell housing and flywheel, so i can put them on my other 110 to swap in my monza while i rebuild the turbo engine, the diff carrier i might keep as a spare because the pinion gears still turn, it looks 100 times worse than it is, il take some pics after i wiped all that rust/sludge off, the trans actually looks better and in the trans i can wipe the rust off with a rag and it is shiny metal underneath, so it might be salvageable, but i don't know
Attachments
IMG_4017[1].JPG
IMG_4019[1].JPG
IMG_4022[1].JPG
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

It looks like this Corvair power train was dredged up from the bottom of a lake!

But don't feel too bad...
Donor motor #1 toast! boat anchor?
Took the first donor motor chips brought me apart today! Not asking if it would be a good boat anchor,,GGG,Looks like it was a boat anchor 20,000 leagues under the sea!! busted piston,,and is that moss growing on the crank?? where is nemo?? Next Please!!
Corvair Junk Motor 1.jpg
Corvair Junk Motor 2.jpg
Corvair Junk Motor 3.jpg
From: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 360,399387
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

yeah i know! i didnt think it would be this bad, being upside down and all, but like i said the bell housing and flywheel are all i would really like to get, anything else can and probbly will be scrapped
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

That looks just like the inside of this motor!, minus the broken piston, i went to look at that satellite today, its more of a project that i want to take on right now, it needs floors, the panel between the rear window and trunk lid, the frame rail on the passenger side and the passenger side rocker, just to get it to not break in half, the front fenders have nothing left where they meet the hood, its been bumped and hammered back out in a place or two, interior is gone, ect, if it wasnt so rusty, it wouldnt be too bad
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

I got the trans off and powerwashed all the rusty sludge off the internals and oiled it all up and it spins nice and free and goes into and out of all the gears, now only if it was a 4 speed, then it might be worth something
Attachments
IMG_4023[1].JPG
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

thats not bad looking after the clean up, good job :-) hope the rust have nog damage to muts
Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Crazy George »

:sad5: that with good expectations, hopes and shattered.. Tiki noted that it looks better cleaned up (HI BUDDY) even if not to be used , there has got to be parts that may be savagable.... I dont throw nothing away...may be only if it is not recyclable for something, parts out your way is closer to finding something but in my neck of the woods,,,,,, its surely alot of misses........or being crushed due to the ecom. Most here are cleaning up garages barns farm back fields and woods for medal prices...... I feel your luck will turn around, time allows joys I say..... cg :pray: :pray:
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

its not really a letdown, i got all i really wanted off it, bellhousing, flywheel and input shaft, I am taking everything off the block, rear housing, distributor, heads, so its not all bad, ill see if i can sell some of it to make a little $$, the trans i will probbly take apart and put back together, just because thats the one thing i have yet to become firmilliar with in a car, idk what i am going to do with the diff, i have 1 and a half 110's already, so i don't really need another haha
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

You'd be surprised what you can salvage. I bought an 140 engine/trans assy for (I think) $250. engine had water in the combustion chambers, but not the crankcase. Trans was okay. So the 140 heads were "done", but hey, the cylinders were standard bore and the crank was beautiful. Spare parts is good.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”