my 65 Turbo

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Bobby65

Re: my 65 Turbo

Post by Bobby65 »

haha, that's why i didn't get mine media blasted
Drive it like you stole it
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
64 monza convertible 4 spd
Grand Ledge, Michigan
ncwitte
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by ncwitte »

Bobby, that's looking really good! Nice work.
Norm Witte
Lansing, Michigan
'65 Corsas: 140 coupe and 180 convertible
http://www.wittelaw.com/personal
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=4208
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

i went to buy a new airfilter for the setup that i had, and they gave me the wrong one, but it fits in the stock air cleaner housing and its $4 compared to $25 for the stock one, the inside diameter isn't as large as the stock one and this airfilter is about an inch shorter but it fits and looks almost completely stock, except it doesn't have the big sealing ring at one end, so it sucks air around the edge of the canister, but that doesn't hurt anything, and most places have this on the the shelf so you don't have to wait for it to be shipped
Attachments
these are all the numbers for this filter
these are all the numbers for this filter
IMG_3562.JPG
inside diameter is slightly smaller than stock
inside diameter is slightly smaller than stock
fits almost perfect
fits almost perfect
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

mart, you're not the only one to get burned, this was the one i bought first to fix up and drive a 1967 500, 110 PG, i got for $600 looks good in these pics, soon as i dig up some pics right before i scrapped, there was no a pillars inside and out you could see straight through the drivers side A pillar and into the interior and the doors sagged because there was nothing left at the bottom of the A pillar on either side, to hold them up, the driver side frame rail was completley gone, and you were worried about you floor pan being rivited in? this one had the driverside floor GLUED in! You could jack this car up and wach the door gaps change, you couldnt open the drivers door when it was jacked up either, IT WAS BAD! The motor had a rod knock but a spare engine came with it and I built one good 110 out of the two, this car was a great parts car though, everything was in good shape and worked interior and all, but the body, and it was complete so it wasn't a total loss, and i rebuilt my firs engine, (other than small engines) and learned how the cars go together, it made working on my 65 so much easier
Attachments
67 1.jpg
67 2.jpg
this was right before i scrapped it, removing drive train, i have some pics of how bad the rust was
this was right before i scrapped it, removing drive train, i have some pics of how bad the rust was
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
mart

Post by mart »

For $600 I dont think I would have minded too much, but I expected a decent , correctly restored car for $4500, thankfully my frame rails were OK but I havent looked close at my pillars yet. Im pretty sure the only reason mine was riveted , not glued, is the fact that rivets are cheaper. There are some strange people out there with strange ideas on car rep :dontknow: air arent there?
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

yeah, for $4500 i would've been pissed, yeah it amazes me people can think this is okay, i found a bill of sale for $1500 under the seat from 2001, i think that was when it was bondo'd up, i cant believe someone did this and thought it was alright to drive it, i mean if you hit a pothole or went over railroad tracks too fast it would've broken in half, here wasn't much holding it together, it first i wondered why the paint was dull, it didn't look too old? it was to hide the waves in the metal
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

been working on the passenger side pillar, its not as bad, worked on it for half a day and its almost done, i also found out the hard way why you wear safety glasses, i had to go to the eye doctor to get a tiny sliver of steel taken out of my left eye, i usually wear them and am pretty good about it, i just had to grind one little spot, and that was all it took! oh well you live and learn, i also got the 2 barrel Rochester rebuilt and am going to mount it on tomorrow and see how big of an improvement it is, i have a intake i built from scratch in my machine shop at school to fit this carb and i have the linkage too, its the biggest 2 barrel Rochester made it something like 308 ish CFM in 4 barrel terms and i want to say 435 in two barrel terms i stole #52 jets out of another carb and put them in because this carb had #59 and that seems to big, and i have jet drill so i can drill up a size or two if needed, i figure its a decent starting point
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Neat! I think those Rochester 2 barrels are simple and awesome! I wonder what kind of boost you'll be pushing with that carb installed. It would be cool to have an O2 sensor installed for the jetting changes.
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

yeah im just going to go by what the spark plugs tell me, im curious about the boost too, i may have to install a waste gate
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

NICE you did a lot of things already !! keep on going, like it :-)
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

well i tried the 2 barrel, i couldn't get it to idle correctly, i think because this engine has a performance cam and is only pulling 10 in of vacuume so this carb will have to wait until i put the stock cam back in
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

i fixed my shifter today, boy what a difference! its about a million times better, i used a section of copper pipe, there was nothing left of the plastic bushings that were supposed to be there, it practically shifts itself now!
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Bobby65 wrote:well i tried the 2 barrel, i couldn't get it to idle correctly, i think because this engine has a performance cam and is only pulling 10 in of vacuume so this carb will have to wait until i put the stock cam back in
Hmmmm.....I've always heard that turbos and hot cams don't go well together, unless it's designed for a turbo. The extra amount of valve overlap (intake and exhaust open at the same time) allows the boost to go out the exhaust, or so they say. Well, just saying.....see how it goes.
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

yeah thats what i herd too, and you dont need high valve lift either with the air being forced in, and not to mention the sluggish takeoffs even worse, i love the idle but thats all the good this cam is doing, i think it will make a world of difference with the stock cam
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

its starting to get cooler out so i decided to get my heater working, my parts car had all new hoses so that wasnt a problem, and my dad had a brand new blower motor sitting on a shelf that fit this, same rotation and everything, the old motor was locked up tight and full of mouse nest, the bottom of the fan actually rusted away, so i cleaned out the heater box and tunnels, i was wondering where the heater/fresh air vent cable is located on this box, my cable seized with it on fresh air, so i need to at least flip it so i get heat out of the heater, and maybe replace the cable too
Attachments
IMG_3738.JPG
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

so I'm cheating on my Corvair... I bought a 1975 Plymouth Valiant for $650, slant 6, 4 door, automatic, been sitting for a few years, I'm going to get it going, and use it as my winter car, and summer back up, i go to pick it up next week, I know its not a corvair, but i figured i would let you know
Attachments
valiant.jpg
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
Grand Ledge, Michigan

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”