The "Rolling Rape Shack!" (My 64 8 Door Panel Project)

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
DRTDEVL

The "Rolling Rape Shack!" (My 64 8 Door Panel Project)

Post by DRTDEVL »

I guess it would be better to merge all the posts into a build thread and add the pics here. The first few posts will be the merger, than I will update with today's revelations. This has now become a long-term project.

--------------------------------------------------

Yup... I had a 68 110 in High School and always vowed to return to the Corvair someday. The day has come; I found a 64 8-door in the desert behind some fence. It's about 99% complete, needs one air cleaner, a battery, tires and minor doodads throughout, like reupholstery for the bench and new rubber parts. Supposedly it was a DD until the rear axle bearings failed and it was parked in 1994.

The ultimate goal for this 8-door is to make it driver quality for my wife to use. She's smitten with the rolling "rape shack" in the driveway.

Too bad she won't let me paint "free candy" on the side...

I figure it's gonna be interesting to feel the flat-6 with more than 2 gears behind it. My 68 had the powerglide.

Oh, did I mention this body is pretty much rust-free? :neener:
IMG_0771.JPG
IMG_0772.JPG
IMG_0773.JPG
IMG_0774.JPG
IMG_0775.JPG
IMG_0776.JPG
IMG_0777.JPG
IMG_0780.JPG
IMG_0789.JPG
photo(4).JPG
The fuel tank inside does not belong, as this one's tank is still mounted. Not sure, but it may have come from one of the 2 rampsides he had sitting there, or maybe one of the 3 other Corvairs right next to this gem. Either way, I bought the van and the contents inside came with it.

Once I figure that out, I might have a nice desert-preserved fuel tank for the classifieds.
As for the van, so far I have put a set of used tires on it for rolling around, cleaned it up inside and out, put a battery in it, as well as a universal hold down and new positive cable (need to find a source for the negative ground strap), cleaned the carbs, fixed a leak at the fitting for an aftermarket oil pressure gauge, filled the master cylinder and bled the brakes, put 3 gallons of fuel in the tank, and got the old beast started.

It runs really crappy, but I am sure part of this is the gallon of 2-cycle mix I accidentally put in this morning. Oops.

I also ordered a new engine harness, tune up kit and 8mm Blue wires from California Corvairs. Can't wait for them to get here so I can continue the progress.

I also am pretty sure the tranny is toast. I need to hook up the L/S axle (find hardware for it) and see what's up when everything is installed. Possibly need new differential, tranny, or both. There is entirely too much play in the shifter, and when not in neutral, there is a horrendous amount of grinding from the rear when releasing the clutch.

Future plans:

Waiting to hear back from Giovanna Wheels about getting a set of 5 blue anodized 17x7.5 rims to wrap in 205/45R17s. These are common wheels from them, but the bolt pattern is not currently offered in anything below a 20" rim by the aftermarket. I guess that's the bane of sharing the bolt pattern with "donks". I will then straighten the body panels as much as possible, minimal filler, get it repainted; white with blue stripe again. Replace the crome with NOS and rebuilt (dash, bumpers, headlight bezels), new rubber for the doors, and then maybe swap for a 140 engine.

--------------------------------------------

So, went the the J/Y owned by the guy I got the 8 Door from today for some parts. I picked up the following for $100 + tax:

2 Carbs (the primary freshly rebuilt)
Air cleaner w/ crossover
taillight lenses
fuel tank
spare fuel pump
spare exhaust w/ muffler
push button AM radio with surround/enclosure
axle u-bolts
2 interior lights (1 broken but has the harness, 1 NOS in box)

I think that was about it... At least, what I remember off the top of my head. I also swung by O'Reilly's to pick up the 2 carb kits I ordered on Tuesday. Looks like a busy weekend ahead for me!

Oh, and some other goodies came in the mail today. Got the new 8mm blue silicone plug wires and the NOS van engine wiring harness in from California Corvairs. Still awaiting the tune up kit from them. Also got my Clark's catalog in the mail.

I should have a running, driving van by the end of the weekend. All it will "need" at that point is registration and insurance.

--------------------------------------------------------

Well, that was a less-than-stellar weekend. I replaced the u-joint on the left side, found the bearing shimmed up with large nuts (clearance for the half-present u-joint and rolling), rebuilt the secondary carb I got from the junkyard and other minute details like the plug wires and starting some interior stuff. Here's what I found out:

1. The van had 2 primary carbs installed. It runs a million times better with the fresh carbs, now I just need to master synching them.
2. The "bearing issue" on the left side was not the bearing, but the hardware coming apart for the u-joint. As noted above, homemade spacers were installed in order to roll the chassis around.
3. The clutch is either way out of adjustment or completely fried.
4. The shifter linkage is so worn out, I can't find neutral again.

Now, will my full tune-up kit ever arrive from California Corvairs? (as of the date of this new post, the kit still isn't here. It's been over a month now, so I will be calling them this week.)

---------------------------------------------------------------

The rims are in and installed. I had to trim some off the edge of the rear spring pocket and bump stop as well as remove the grease zerks on the front ball joints for them to fit. I need to have the hub holes bored slightly, as the ID and OD match exactly. I also need to figure out the center caps for the front. Pics to come soon!

…(T)hey are FWD style rims on a RWD. The hubs on the van are the exact size of the center hole on the rim. I have to kick the rims from behind to remove them once installed on the front.

I custom ordered them with the right bolt pattern. 5/4.75, IIRC. It's the hub that is too snug.

As for the rears, the swing arm design required the trimming of the spring buckets and bumpstops to prevent contact when the suspension droops.
photo(4).JPG
(The other pics of the rims installed are still inverted and I can't figure out how to flip them on this computer. I'll have to post them up again later when I remount them.)

Now, on to the continuing saga! :think:
Attachments
IMG_0770.JPG
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: The "Rolling Rape Shack!" (My 64 8 Door Panel Project)

Post by TikiRalf »

:coolphotos: and :goodpost:

enjoy working on it, and let the pictures roll :tu:
DRTDEVL

Post by DRTDEVL »

I am not sure how a couple of the pics in the last post are showing in the wrong spots, but it's too much trouble to fix. Onward ho!

I lifted the van up today on jack stands and pulled the power train. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be and I had it on the ground in less than an hour.
photo(10).JPG
photo(11).JPG
I originally was going to pull the cases off the bell housing to inspect the flywheel, but that plan quickly changed. I opened the transmission and differential covers and found that they were run dry. :eek: There were several gears broken or stripped in the transmission and the differential "input" bearing was toasty with black carbon flecks falling off and a warped and discolored bearing cage. It was so fried, I couldn't fully separate the cases, even after partially disassembling the transmission and differential. Luckily they can be pulled as a unit and I now have them off.

The carnage:
photo(14).JPG
photo(16).JPG
photo(17).JPG

I called Jimbo who happens to have a transmission and differential on hand. My wife was picking up a car from my sister in Minnesota next month, so she'll take the long way home and pick up the new (used) cases for me. I guess while I am waiting I will clean everything up and stop all the (normal) oil leaks while the engine is in my garage rolling around on a furniture dolly..
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Best title ever
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

Mike D wrote:Best title ever
I may have to concur with you on that one. Good lookin shoes for your new shaggin waggin :fro:
1966 Corsa Coupe
TweetieBird

Post by TweetieBird »

WORST title ever! You guys just don't get it. It is not funny.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

I agree with you Tweetiebird. I was not going to drawn attention to the name but since you brought it up. I do prefer a less violent title like rolling Shaggin waggin. Drtdvl's girl (wife or GF I don't recall) did come up with the name (doesn't make it better - just saying).

I hope everyone has a safe and happy easter.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
DRTDEVL

Post by DRTDEVL »

Hmm... Controversy.

Its a joke. Admittedly off-color. The reasoning is that something this ugly requires a molestache or a full beard with bird's nests inside to properly drive. Add in the doors on both sides, and its like it was made to capture prey from both sides of the street.

The name will change, once its running and I get around to doing the paint and body. Once it looks nice, it might be considered a scooby snack.

I got my transmission and differential from Jimbo 2 weeks ago, but I was entirely too sick to even think about working on anything. I finally assembled the drive train last night in my garage, and plan on getting the van running Sunday.
DRTDEVL

Post by DRTDEVL »

Quick update...

I *should* have pulled the clutch. In the air, the van cruises smoothly and quietly to 70 mph. As soon as it was on the ground, however, it wouldn't move. Just horrid sounds when releasing the clutch. As I am pending shoulder surgery now, I need to finish my 73 Buick first (it's the only automatic I own). The van is now on hold for a while.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”