Listen to that Turbo whine!

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
firstgencamarojunkie

Listen to that Turbo whine!

Post by firstgencamarojunkie »

There are many things that are milestones in life: Hearing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show, getting Married, hearing your newborn cry for the first time. Then, there's the event that brings a smile to any Corsa owner's lips: hearing your newly rebuilt Turbo spool up for the first time and feeling that rush of power! This just happened to me a few minutes ago. Thanks to Nick Williams for his patience in getting all the kinks worked out - he rebuilt my turbo for my '65 Corsa - and - suggested we put the "150" hot side on the thing - boy - was he right! Wasn't ready for it - but - pulling out onto the main road in 2ndI was already pulling 5lbs on the Autometer Boost Gauge - and the thing hadn't even really warmed up yet. There is a distinctive sound when the turbo begins to spool - and - you can't wipe the smile off your face as you watch the boost meter going clockwise. Thanks to all in this forum that have helped me thru the last 2 years to get this far. Next planning to add an EDIS ignition and seeing if we can't get a couple more horsies. :cool:
64powerglide

Re: Listen to that Turbo whine!

Post by 64powerglide »

Oh go ahead and brag about it while I drive my 110 powerglide. ::-): I'll bet that felt real good!!!! :goodpost:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
rburk123

Re: RE: Listen to that Turbo whine!

Post by rburk123 »

firstgencamarojunkie wrote:There are many things that are milestones in life: Hearing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show, getting Married, hearing your newborn cry for the first time. Then, there's the event that brings a smile to any Corsa owner's lips: hearing your newly rebuilt Turbo spool up for the first time and feeling that rush of power! This just happened to me a few minutes ago. Thanks to Nick Williams for his patience in getting all the kinks worked out - he rebuilt my turbo for my '65 Corsa - and - suggested we put the "150" hot side on the thing - boy - was he right! Wasn't ready for it - but - pulling out onto the main road in 2ndI was already pulling 5lbs on the Autometer Boost Gauge - and the thing hadn't even really warmed up yet. There is a distinctive sound when the turbo begins to spool - and - you can't wipe the smile off your face as you watch the boost meter going clockwise. Thanks to all in this forum that have helped me thru the last 2 years to get this far. Next planning to add an EDIS ignition and seeing if we can't get a couple more horsies. :cool:
[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Corvair Forum mobile app

toytron

Post by toytron »

[emoji2]

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
Dazanz

Post by Dazanz »

Could you tell me What got done to your turbo and define "the "150" hot side on the thing"
It's something I would like to do to my Corsa turbo. Did you change the jets in the carb to richen the mixture aswell.
Thx Daren
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Typically involves building a turbo using the 150 exhaust side turbine with a 180 intake side compressor. The 150 exhaust spools up faster / earlier. You need a 150 turbo then replace the intake side by swapping to a 180 compressor and housing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
firstgencamarojunkie

Post by firstgencamarojunkie »

I :goodpost: Correct, 180 "cold side", 150 "hot" side. As stated, spools up earlier. Also, added an autometer air to fuel ratio meter and am in the middle of playing with the metering rods .. the R1/r2/R32 Blackhawk engineering rods that Clarke's sells. Seems for me the r2 is the best fit.
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

firstgencamarojunkie wrote:I :goodpost: Correct, 180 "cold side", 150 "hot" side. As stated, spools up earlier. Also, added an autometer air to fuel ratio meter and am in the middle of playing with the metering rods .. the R1/r2/R32 Blackhawk engineering rods that Clarke's sells. Seems for me the r2 is the best fit.
They do like to be rich!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Glad it worked out.

Next after the hybrid joy wears off, you'll be begging me for an E-flow at 18psi... :assault:
Click it!

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”