How can I get the trunk open on my 65 Monza?

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Going4joe

How can I get the trunk open on my 65 Monza?

Post by Going4joe »

I recently purchased a 65 Monza 4DR. Car needs nearly everything. Motor rebuilt and running (took quite awhile) finally. I am now assessing the rest of the vehicle. I need so much, Im a bit stressed about it. I need:

OUTSIDE: car needs all new stainless (both front and back windshield trim, the trim mouldings below the doors attached on the rockers, new headlight bezels), and chrome (front and rear bumpers, door handles, Monza fender logos etc) Need sill plates for the 4 drs. Need the rear body grille and a new engine deck (rusted pretty badly). Need the stainless trim around the tail lights. Need new tail light trim and lens, as well as lens on the front...I am not wanting to build a show car here, so Im not looking for show quality stuff - but I do want it to be somewhat nice. The handles on the doors are soooo pitted! I dont even know if they can be rechromed. I would prefer to get some better used ones, or NOS if possible. I am always looking for NOS - I know some of it is rather pricey.

INTERIOR: Needs everything! New carpets, door panels, dashboard, headliner, seat covers, the plastic grills under dash, the plastic pillars between the front/rear doors, new insulation/fuzzies set - EVERYTHING including new floor panels (rusted through). This car was not taken care of - which seems common with many of these Corvairs. I knew what I was getting into here.

I am dumping a boat load of money into this thing, I have $3500 into just the motor at this point and I still need stuff for it! UGH!! But this is what we do with these cars... right? Im at a point of no return. Motor is running, transmission is good. But if I sold it now, I would take a heavy $$$ loss. So I just keep...on...going..and..spending money.... :neener:

So per the title of this topic - the front hood emblem/chrome trim where you put the key in was filled with pits. I found a really nice used one on Ebay and purchased that along with correct GM keys (the key that will lock this is also the key for the glove box) FYI there were no keys when I purchased this car. Prior owner was touching wires together to start it and had a screwdriver he used to get into the trunk. I had to get new "correct" keys for the ignition which open the doors as well. I replaced the ignition switch and inserted the new key tumblar and it now works great. Doors now open and lock correctly. I had the car at my mechanic's a few weeks ago. I replaced the hood trim piece with the new one I just got. Looks great. Inserted the new tumblar into the insert in the new chrome piece. Then I realized I did not have the metal rod piece that you need to attach between the tumblar and the latch which allows the hood to open. I called my NAPA parts dealer and to my amazement, they had this piece! I ran down and picked it up. Came back to the shop and to my horror, saw the hood on the car was CLOSED! I freaked out! Some guy at the next door body shop next door (the mechanic and body shop share the lot out back - he thought my car was a body shop project) closed the hood by accident! I am freaking out about this! I know I can smack out the BRAND NEW TUMBLAR THAT SHARES THE KEY WITH THE GLOVE BOX and just have a new tumblar put in there.. but I want these locks to match! I was trying to pry the new chrome piece off thinking maybe those odd nuts on the studs, holding the piece to the body would pop off. No deal. ANY SUGGESTIONS? I really dont want to break the new lock... but Im not sure what else I can do here!?
PaulR

Re: How can I get the trunk open on my 65 Monza?

Post by PaulR »

Going4joe wrote:I recently purchased a 65 Monza 4DR. Car needs nearly everything. Motor rebuilt and running (took quite awhile) finally. I am now assessing the rest of the vehicle. I need so much, Im a bit stressed about it. I need:

OUTSIDE: car needs all new stainless (both front and back windshield trim, the trim mouldings below the doors attached on the rockers, new headlight bezels), and chrome (front and rear bumpers, door handles, Monza fender logos etc) Need sill plates for the 4 drs. Need the rear body grille and a new engine deck (rusted pretty badly). Need the stainless trim around the tail lights. Need new tail light trim and lens, as well as lens on the front...I am not wanting to build a show car here, so Im not looking for show quality stuff - but I do want it to be somewhat nice. The handles on the doors are soooo pitted! I dont even know if they can be rechromed. I would prefer to get some better used ones, or NOS if possible. I am always looking for NOS - I know some of it is rather pricey.

INTERIOR: Needs everything! New carpets, door panels, dashboard, headliner, seat covers, the plastic grills under dash, the plastic pillars between the front/rear doors, new insulation/fuzzies set - EVERYTHING including new floor panels (rusted through). This car was not taken care of - which seems common with many of these Corvairs. I knew what I was getting into here.

I am dumping a boat load of money into this thing, I have $3500 into just the motor at this point and I still need stuff for it! UGH!! But this is what we do with these cars... right? Im at a point of no return. Motor is running, transmission is good. But if I sold it now, I would take a heavy $$$ loss. So I just keep...on...going..and..spending money.... :neener:

So per the title of this topic - the front hood emblem/chrome trim where you put the key in was filled with pits. I found a really nice used one on Ebay and purchased that along with correct GM keys (the key that will lock this is also the key for the glove box) FYI there were no keys when I purchased this car. Prior owner was touching wires together to start it and had a screwdriver he used to get into the trunk. I had to get new "correct" keys for the ignition which open the doors as well. I replaced the ignition switch and inserted the new key tumblar and it now works great. Doors now open and lock correctly. I had the car at my mechanic's a few weeks ago. I replaced the hood trim piece with the new one I just got. Looks great. Inserted the new tumblar into the insert in the new chrome piece. Then I realized I did not have the metal rod piece that you need to attach between the tumblar and the latch which allows the hood to open. I called my NAPA parts dealer and to my amazement, they had this piece! I ran down and picked it up. Came back to the shop and to my horror, saw the hood on the car was CLOSED! I freaked out! Some guy at the next door body shop next door (the mechanic and body shop share the lot out back - he thought my car was a body shop project) closed the hood by accident! I am freaking out about this! I know I can smack out the BRAND NEW TUMBLAR THAT SHARES THE KEY WITH THE GLOVE BOX and just have a new tumblar put in there.. but I want these locks to match! I was trying to pry the new chrome piece off thinking maybe those odd nuts on the studs, holding the piece to the body would pop off. No deal. ANY SUGGESTIONS? I really dont want to break the new lock... but Im not sure what else I can do here!?
It has been a while since I have done this. Go in through the either side headlight bucket. Remove the aluminum headlight bezel, then the screws around the headlight bucket that attach it to the front body panel. Pull the unit out, disconnect the wiring, reach inside and turn the slot on the latch mounting bracket with a screw driver, and you are done. Provided the fasteners are not too rusty, it should be a snap.
1964 Monza convertible 110/PG
xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

And then buy a couple of parts cars.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Corvair Forum mobile app
Going4joe

Post by Going4joe »

Thank you PaulR - I will try the headlight removal idea. That sounds like it should work. I will keep you posted! - Bill

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”