New Torque Arm Bushing Installed 65 Corsa

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
GasDaddy140

New Torque Arm Bushing Installed 65 Corsa

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hello,

These torque arm bushings were a real pain to remove. I used a press and an air chisel, an air chisel! The outer band stayed behind. The new bushings pressed in like butter, like easy butter! I'm almost ready to finish polyester priming the body, and after that, I'm going to get after the engine again. These Corvairs are very unique cars, lots of nooks and crannies, and interesting solutions to problems. I was a little down, but I'm back up again!

I'm also bending all new brake lines, the rears were a mess. The rear hubs look like a pain too. One day I shall rule the road!
Attachments
IMG_0899.JPG
IMG_1199.JPG
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
cad-kid

Re: New Torque Arm Bushing Installed 65 Corsa

Post by cad-kid »

Looks good :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

very nice!
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

I've done a few of those on west coast cars and the bushing removal/install pressure was about the same.

A few folks have reported the arm can "slide" on the new bushing after awhile. I've never had the problem, but others report they "tack" a spot weld on the bushing collar to keep them in place.

BTW - remember to torque the bolt through the bushing AFTER the torque arm is in the normal sitting position. If the tire is in the way then find the normal rest position of the arm and remove the tire and jack up the arm to the "rest" position and tighten the torque arm bolt.
BobWitt
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by BobWitt »

Alan - thanks for the post and pictures - all of the rubber in the rear is on my list for this coming winter. Did you need any special tools to keep from crushing anything - like on the upper and lower front control arms? If you are doing any of the other rear bushings, be sure to post about those as well!

Thanks again and good luck with your project...
BobWitt - South East Michigan
Member: Corsa and DACC

1966 Corsa 140
Follow my build at: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9082"
pernrory

Post by pernrory »

You're a man of initiative.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

66vairguy wrote:A few folks have reported the arm can "slide" on the new bushing after awhile. I've never had the problem, but others report they "tack" a spot weld on the bushing collar to keep them in place.
I have seen a number of slipped bushings and highly recommend tack welding the bushing flange to the arm.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

terribleted wrote:
66vairguy wrote:A few folks have reported the arm can "slide" on the new bushing after awhile. I've never had the problem, but others report they "tack" a spot weld on the bushing collar to keep them in place.
I have seen a number of slipped bushings and highly recommend tack welding the bushing flange to the arm.

I replaced the bushings on my '65 a couple months back. Yep, an air chisel makes it pretty easy. Where do you tack weld it? Just the collar to the control arm?

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”