RecessBilly's Worklog '63 Spyder project

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
recessbilly

RecessBilly's Worklog '63 Spyder project

Post by recessbilly »

Expanding on my intro: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

I am hopeful it isn't a Spyder clone. I cannot locate the Fisher body badge. If mine is not an actual Spyder, someone did a great job getting the Spyder parts; dash cluster, emblems, 4 speed manual, Glove box emblem, and correct shift knob. The turbo engine soon to be acquired in pieces. Current motor hasn't been started in over a year.
Spyder items:
The badge on the passenger side looks correct
FSB
The steering wheel is incorrect, but the factory cutout for the exhaust is there.
Driver side looks to be hacked to fit dual pipes.
Diagonal holes for the turbo emblem are there, no bondo or other hacks.
Strange setup here, I believe it is the fuel heater? Three grounds and a filthy filter.

I have ordered a harmonic balancer as per Brad's recommendation, and removed the starter for testing and rebuild. New battery wasn't able to crank it over. Got some nice wiring diagrams, and started to de-corrode the fuse block. I can't figure out where this tan wire goes coming from the turn signal switch loom. Edit: Actually I believe it is for the horn.
Nice diagram
Lots to go through
Also there are two wires disconnected coming out from under the car above the cables the actuate the heat vent doors. One looks white, one black. Are these for reverse lights? And there is one black wire coming from below the steering wheel. Where is that supposed to go? Thanks again!!
1963 Monza Spyder 900 powered by a 1964 110HP and 4-speed MTX
cad-kid

Re: RecessBilly's Worklog '63 Spyder project

Post by cad-kid »

Strange setup here, I believe it is the fuel heater? Three grounds and a filthy filter.
20150610_135703_zpswrf8kgc0.jpg
That is an electric fuel pump. I don't like those screw type hose clamps.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:link: http://www.facet-purolator.com/cube-fuel-pumps.php

ImageImage
Facet-Purolator Fuel Pump - Cube Flyer 2011.pdf
Facet-Purolator Fuel Pump - Cube Flyer 2011
(654.5 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
recessbilly

Post by recessbilly »

Thanks again!! Always grateful for the input.
Freshened up some parts.
Then installed a new electronic fuel pump and rebuilt starter and It fired right up!! I only let it run for a couple minutes, as I want to add this harmonic balancer and new mount. I started removing engine components for paint and pulley removal.
Also learning to use a death wheel. Cleaning rust of of parts is dangerous. Long pants, shoes, gloves safety goggles and a mask are a must, as I found out today.
Also drove nearly 600 miles round trip to meet Lon and buy some stuff at Corvair Underground. I know I'm late in the game, but I am grateful for vendors that still offer parts and knowledge for this platform. Clark's is great, they have everything you'd need. But to me, Lon is local, and it was fun to put a face with a name and talk Corvairs with someone who knows a thing or two. I got FSB bushings, front control arm urethane bushings, some gaskets and seals, brake hardware kits, and a dome light assembly. Also found some stainless pipes on craigslist!!
They need modification to fit, but boy howdy!!! I already love this car and hope it reflects in my work. More to come soon.
Shop life!!

P.S. Anyone interested a NEW '64 rear grill? Just removed from decaying GM box. I've been seeing them for $150!! Is this going rate? Pics tomorrow.
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

I don't think it's a real Spyder. It looks like someone cut out the Spyder exhaust outlet from the rear skirt. I don't see the flange. It should have a flange like the photo below. Also the "Spyder" emblem is placed too close to the Monza cross. The factory placed them further apart, again see the pic below.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
recessbilly

Post by recessbilly »

Nickshu wrote:I don't think it's a real Spyder. It looks like someone cut out the Spyder exhaust outlet from the rear skirt. I don't see the flange. It should have a flange like the photo below. Also the "Spyder" emblem is placed too close to the Monza cross. The factory placed them further apart, again see the pic below.

I've now heard both that the "spyder" emblem should almost touch it and what Nick says, that it should be farther from it:
Spyder4speed wrote:
...The "Spyder" script is too far from the Monza emblem on the lower front fender, the 'S" should nearly touch it...
Which is correct? Driver side is further than passenger:

And there is definitely a factory flange there. It's not hacked and is bent very clean unlike the other side, which was hacked for dual mufflers.

Spyder4speed

Post by Spyder4speed »

recessbilly,

Howdy, I sent you a pic of my "64" Spyder script that is in the correct position from the Willow Run factory as a reference. As you may know, "64" Spyder's are unmistakable because they are a separate model according to the VIN #, they are either a 627 (Coupe) or a 667 (Convertible). This is reliable guide for the script placement. Did you locate the head temp warning buzzer that I photographed for you as well? Another common Spyder feature is the spare tire support has a prominent boss on the end to raise the tire a tad further away from the turbo heat shield. These support brackets are missing sometimes though. You could also look for the thermister (looks like a very small spark plug with a wire attached) on the left head under the lower shroud, only Spyder's and Corsa's had cylinder heads to accommodate them. I hope this helps, too bad you cannot locate the body tag on the rear frame rail in the engine bay as this will have the Spyder option info.

Patrick
1964 Spyder Coupe
Detroit, MI
recessbilly

Post by recessbilly »

Head temp buzzer:
Correct holes for emblems:
There is no spare mount. Possible it was poached along with the fisher badge to make another more "valuable".
Still have faith it's real!!!
Also, Spyder4speed, you have this wheel and yours is a true spyder:
So mine, being earlier may have not gotten the updated wheel.
Spyder4speed

Post by Spyder4speed »

recessbilly,

It looks like you have a correct Spyder warning buzzer, very unlikely that someone mounted it and wired it after the fact. I am guessing that your left fender was replace or worked on at some point, that may account for the mislocated script. Your right side emblems look fine.

Oh, I didn't look at your wheel that closely so I am not sure on that. Mine is a stock (two tone) Monza wheel, which is correct for Spyder. As mentioned earlier the simulated wood wheel was an option beginning in 1964. Also, the books that were mentioned are a great resource and there is period sales literature out there too that may help identify stock items. The research can sometimes get to be quite a bit of detective work, but that is part of the fun for me.

Overall, I believe the most important thing is that you have a very cool car and the motivation to get involved in its revival. Enjoy your Corvair Monza Spyder!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYTEdmJ6mz4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patrick
1964 Spyder Coupe
Detroit, MI
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Like so many things I've seen on these cars the accuracy of fabrication at the factory was not very consistent. Certainly possible that the Spyder to Monza cross distance varied between cars and even between sides. I've found many production variations along the way. I agree on the buzzer, doubtful someone swapped that in.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
recessbilly

Post by recessbilly »

Thanks guys!! I got some work done yesterday.
Removed mount and pulley.
Cleaned up for new seal.
Tape and paint.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

:tu: lookin' good.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

very nice!!
CORSA Member #034095
65 Corvair Corsa "Field Find" 140-4, 4 speed, Hardtop, Telescoping wheel. Rear Speaker
65 Corvair Corsa Automatic 140-4, Coupe
Spyder4speed

Post by Spyder4speed »

recessbilly,

Looks really nice, something I want to do to mine too. I have to do the clutch and differential seals soon, perhaps next spring I will pull the whole driveline out and repair. For now though, I drive it and have a blast!

You gave me some ideas, what kind of paint did you use? how did you prep the surface?

Patrick
1964 Spyder Coupe
Detroit, MI
recessbilly

Post by recessbilly »

Spyder4speed wrote:recessbilly,
You gave me some ideas, what kind of paint did you use? how did you prep the surface?
Thanks!! I prepped with a grinder fitted with a wire brush. With a mask on, I got a lot of the rust off, and vacuumed out the bits. Also used a compressor to blow the little things out of the corners.
It wasn't very rusty, so I didn't do this to the engine compartment, but would recommend it:
I will use it when I do the underbelly for certain.
Then a can of Ace Satin Black Rust Stop. So much fun so far!!! I love this project. :guitar:
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Looks nice!!
Nick

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”