66 corsa convertible a/c car

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
srb1961

66 corsa convertible a/c car

Post by srb1961 »

i just acquired a 66 Corsa convertible A/c project. The body plate has no options listed, none! What I don’t know is at the top on the plat about halfway over is an “E” it above and slightly right of the WRN. The car was built in June of 66 the second week. It is chateau slate all black interior. Sequence is 2711. The engine code is RR. Is no options listed normal? The engine date is February 7 and the VIN last five is 87,906. I got the car disassembled and I have lots of optional stuff to put on it. Can someone help?
Attachments
DF7DE42F-4B68-4DD8-8720-7368163F2E2E.jpeg
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: 66 corsa convertible a/c car

Post by azdave »

The RR engine code is correct for a 66 A/C Corsa but the engine build date not matching the chassis build date is a problem if you are into correct pure stock. The body tag you posted should show "2E" in the options line if it had factory A/C installed. The body tag appears to have been re-attached with incorrect rivets so it may have been moved from another Corsa chassis by a previous owner. What does the VIN tag look like? Does it have the correct roset rivets? Does the VIN show it was built at Willow Run? Have you tried to find the hidden VIN to see if it matches the VIN tag next to the battery?

That single "E" indicates a black interior trim paint color. The "758" indicates black colored vinyl bucket seats, door panels and plastic interior pieces. I would say it is unusual for a Corsa to have no trim codes in the accessory line but not unheard of. Certainly the missing A/C code is a problem if you were told it was a factory A/C car. A 66 Corsa convertible with factory A/C would be an extremely rare find and I am suspicious based upon what you have shared so far.

Here is where I found info about the interior paint and trim codes.
http://www.corvairkid.com/66codes.htm
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Dave makes a point - the body tag does not appear to be attached with the factory rivets.

The dealer accessory manual does show "dealer installed" A/C that was like the factory unit, but then your engine block code would have been for a NON - A/C car.

Does your car have tinted glass? There is some debate that it was a mandatory option with A/C. I've never seen a factory A/C car without tinted glass and that should also be on the body tag.

It would have been a rarity indeed if it was a Corsa convertible A/C car (only available on 66 models). Many Corvairs have been converted to A/C and there is nothing wrong with that as long as it is honestly presented as such.

After all these years you even find cars that are re-bodied (VIN and body tags moved) using solid Western bodies.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Can you post a picture of the VIN tag? (Next to the battery — riveted to the engine compartment perimeter frame?
"06B" on the body tag would indicate a body production in the second week of June 1966 — near the end of the 1966 model year production.

The correct body tag on a 1966 Air Conditioned Corvair should include an Accessory Code: 2E.

1966 ACC Codes
The Letters are listed in groups. Letters following a number is in that group. The code letters are listed in the order they would appear. Some letters are in more than one group
Most 1965 codes carried over to 1966 unchanged. (New std equip eliminated some codes)

First Group ( no numeric indicator)
E = RPO A01 Tinted Glass ( Soft Ray glass in all windows)
D = RPO C06 Power Top (Manual top standard, no indicator)
W = RPO A02 Tinted Windshield only
O = Two tone paint trimpiece ( sedans only)
L = folding rear seat (500 series only)

2 = Second Group
M = RPO M35 Powerglide Automatic
E = RPO C64 Air Conditioning
R = RPO U80 Rear speaker
S = RPO U73 Rear ant.
T = RPO U75 Power Rear antenna
H = Heater delete

3 = Third Group
A = Rear armrest (500 series sedans)

4 = Fourth Group
O = RPO L87 Turbo engine
F = Remote outside mirror / updated CC group (lighting grp, door guards)

5 = Fifth Group
Y = RPO A49 Deluxe Seatbelts ( Stainless Steel Push-button Buckles)
O = Seatbelt delete? ( No cars found with this code, but may carry over from 65)
? = Shoulder harness
*Standard seatbelts, old CC group and padded dash are now standard. So C in group three, P in group four and W in group five no longer listed. Also 4spd transmission no longer listed, with the introduction of the new Saginaw transmission. Rear seatbelts are also now STD. Willow Run cars had the ACC codes all on one line.
AirVair Group wrote:...the C-64 option became available on the top of the line Corsa model in its final year.

But time was working against our wonder car - no amount of glowing reports in the motoring press would turn the tide. Just 103,743 Corvairs were built in what many believe to be Corvairs finest year, but again A/C percentage was up - this time to 4.61% - adding another 4,780 air 'Vairs. This brings up the subject of Rare Corvairs - The Air 'Vair fan has one of the rarest - only about 150 were Corsas...
:link: https://www.corvair.org/chapters/airvairs/

Based on the information you provided, the VIN should be 107676W187906
VIN - LM Corvair Passenger Car VIN Tag Decoding.jpg
There are body stamped hidden VIN numbers on the car body that should match your VIN tag in the engine compartment. The following link will show you how to find the hidden VIN...

Hidden vin locations!
:link: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=3000

Below is your engine serial number…-

T0207RR
T = Tonawanda, New York (GM Tonawanda Engine Plant)
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/comp ... wanda.html
0207 = Engine manufacturing date (month and date). February 7th.
RR = 1966 Only — 140 hp 164 CID with Manual Transmission and Air Conditioning (Corvair Corsa Only)

With an engine production date in early February and a body production date (based on the questionable body tag) in early June, you might question an engine sitting in the warehouse most of February, March, April and May until it was needed. However, the engine serial number is a very rare 1966 only Corsa only engine for an air conditioned optioned 1966 Corsa. Those months might have passed in 1966 before a customer placed an order for an air conditioned 140 hp 1966 Corsa convertible!

You could have a Corsa clone with the correct Corsa instrument panel, trim, and engine mated to a LM convertible body to reproduce a 1966 air conditioned Corsa. Since LM convertible bodies can rust out beyond salvation it is conceivable that an owner wanted to save the life of a rare A/C Corsa by transplanting all of the interior, engine, and trim components to another body. The hidden VIN may tell the tale.

:chevy:
CORSA Corvair Technical Guide 1+2 - Corvair Code Numbers.PDF
CORSA Corvair Technical Guide 1+2 - Corvair Code Numbers
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 33 times
1966-Chevrolet-Corvair - GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1966-Chevrolet-Corvair - GM Heritage Center Specs
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 31 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Trip

Post by Trip »

I'll be interested to hear what you find as far as the VIN plate rivets and the hidden VIN if you go after it.

I once went to look at a Corsa for sale and on the VIN plate there was just one number that was stamped crooked, guess which one? You gussed it, the "7" in the spot that denotes it's a Corsa. The trim tag looked ok, rivets were correct, and the guy had a title that matched the (possibly altered) VIN, but I was definitely a bit suspicious.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Hopefully, the VIN you have is 107676W187906. It could be 107676L187906 but that would not match the body tag. If you need help finding the hidden VIN please ask. It's tough to see but I can usually read them with the help of my smartphone camera. I've posted some helpful photos here for the LM US built Corvairs.
viewtopic.php?t=3000
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
srb1961

Post by srb1961 »

Thanks for all this info, the data plate robots don’t look right. The car has had a lot of work on it it’s past, definitely not a survivor. It has a 65 differential unit and a 64 block with 140 heads. The RR code is on a bare block that came along with car and body has structural rust. I have lots of parts and will put it together as a driver. It does have the 140 mount for the compressor. A/C system is complete. I’ll look at vin plate and rivits and post again. Thanks
srb1961

Post by srb1961 »

The VIN on the title is 107676W187906. The car is stored a ways away from me and I’ll check the plate this weekend, thanks
srb1961

Post by srb1961 »

I checked the VIN plate on the car and it has regular pop rivits, so I pulled the 66 up condenser and the 65 heater was behind it. The the car is a 65 body that has the VIN switched. Oh well I’ve made mistakes before. I’ve had over 100 corvairs and my desire for a 66 vert that had A/C blinded me.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

ImageImage But you still have a Corvair... that's the important thing! ::-): :whoa: :neener:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
srb1961

Post by srb1961 »

I’ve got lots of corvairs, if I could find a minimal rust 66 vert body, that would ease the pain some
corsafan

Post by corsafan »

hello, i noticed you have an RR block. if you would like to sell or trad, im looking for one. or if some one out there has on i would be interested.
many thanks
srb1961

Post by srb1961 »

I’ve got a deal on it with a guy in Arizona, if he backs out I’ll let you know
perfectreign

Post by perfectreign »

azdave wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:29 pm I've posted some helpful photos here for the LM US built Corvairs.
viewtopic.php?t=3000
Not to hijack this thread, but many of those pics are showing as broken links. Can you fix that? I'm still investigating ours and would love to locate all the VIN's
Kai Ponte - www.perfectreign.com

Image2006 Chevy Avalanche WBH LS

Image 2016 Chevy Malibu Hybrid
corsafan

Post by corsafan »

Thanks, i appreciate you keeping me in mind
ral1963

Post by ral1963 »

In regards to your 66 Corsa Convertible body 2711...Just as an FYI, it is currently the "last" Corsa Convertible built. I have an extensive collection of Body tags and Body # 2711, which was built the last week of production in 1966 is the current holder of last known Corsa Convertible built.
Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL
Current Rides
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Return to “Body/VIN Tag Decoding”