unknown engine data / specs

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
woodsy

unknown engine data / specs

Post by woodsy »

hi guy's , I am very , very new to corvairs . I live in Australia and have a 1960 karmann ghia , yesterday i purchased a flat 6 with the hope and intention of shoe horning it into my car . the motor came out of a split window kombie 30 something years ago and has laid in this guys shed since . having accessed your web site this morning to try and identify what I have purchased yesterday , I can only say it has the numbers T I I O 6 Z , no numbers are stamped on the heads but the distributor has the numbers I I I 0 2 7 2 followed by I L 2 7
it also has a riveted flywheel pulley , any help would be much appreciated ........ cheers
b74eqcm

Re: unknown engine data / specs

Post by b74eqcm »

The "Z" is a base model (80 hp) engine used 1962 - 1964 meant to be mated to a powerglide automatic transmission.
Jim Thomas
Bethel, VT
63 Monza Coupe
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

A picture or two of your engine might help to identify the year. Each of the model years utilized unique suffix codes that will help you to identify specifically what engine you have. Details such as the carburetor appearance (automatic choke in 1962-1969), cooling fan style, oil cooler design, crankshaft pulley design, distributor design, etc. provides clues to identify the specific engine and model year.
:chevy:
T1106Z
T = Tonawanda, New York (GM Tonawanda Engine Plant)
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/comp ... wanda.html
1106 = Engine manufacturing date (month and date). November 6th.
Z = Base Engine in 1960-1964 Corvairs (as listed below)
  • 1960 80 hp (140 CID) Automatic Transmission (Corvair 500/700/900 Monza)
  • 1961-1963 80 hp (145 CID) Automatic Transmission (Corvair 500/700/900 Monza)
  • 1964 95hp (164 CID) Automatic Transmission (Corvair 500/700/900 Monza)

Distributor 1110272 is from a 1962 Corvair

The original 1960-1961 distributor design was only seen in those two model years. This early style is easily identified because it has a cap that is held in-place by clips, rather than the screws seen on the 1962-1969 Corvair distributor. Internally the early distributor uses a large rotor that covers the centrifugal advance mechanism, which is positioned above the ignition points. In the later design, the centrifugal advance mechanism is positioned under the ignition points and breaker plate assembly, inside the main distributor housing.

Distributor Design...
1960-1961 Engines had an early distributor design (seen on right) with a clip-on distributor cap. 1962 and later engines had a new design (seen on left) with the centrifugal advance weights under the breaker plate and a screw-on distributor cap.

1960-1962 engines had a road draft tube, while 1963-1969 engines were fitted with a Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system.

Cylinder heads have a casting number on the end of the head, as shown in the example below...
Corvair Cylinder Head Numbers
Corvair Cylinder Head Numbers
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... age=TECH-3
Attachments
CORSA Corvair Technical Guide 1+2 - Corvair Code Numbers.PDF
CORSA Corvair Technical Guide 1+2 - Corvair Code Numbers
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 17 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
woodsy

Post by woodsy »

thanks for all your info guy's , it would appear as though I have a real mixture here as i do not have numbers on the head , the distributor cap is a screw on type , it does have the road draught tubes and at present , I am missing carbies
if as I am presuming it is a fairly stock old 80hp donk , I will not mind as the karmann it is going into is only a fly weight
the sound that comes out of these flat sixes just blows me away and that is what I am looking to hear a lot of I must have spent hours over the weekend youtubing these motors running in your cars over their
I have taken some pics of the motor and now just need to figure out how to attach them
thanks again ken
Attachments
P1050728.JPG
P1050729.JPG
P1050731.JPG
P1050732.JPG
P1050733.JPG
P1050734.JPG
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Strange that the heads don't have a casting number to ID them. Except for the 1964-69 magnesium blower, I would guess that the engine is a 145 CID 80 hp unit from 1961 or 1962. (1960 140 CID engines had drilled cooling fins on the cylinder barrels for the studs to pass through). The oil filter adaptor looks like a 1961-62, as it mounts a generator (not an alternator) and it has a plug where the oil pressure sending unit normally mounts. (Earlier cars had the oil pressure sending unit on the right side of the engine cases, near the oil pan).

If the heads lack choke coils (shown below), they are probably from a 1961 engine, which is the only year with a cable operated manual choke.
Alternator vs Generator Adaptor.jpg
HV Carburetor Choke Mechanism.jpg
HV Choke Mechanism.jpg

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Body/VIN Tag Decoding”