How low is too low?

All Models and Years
flat6_musik

Re: How low is too low?

Post by flat6_musik »

I cut one coil on my Corsa, but I could swear it did nothing! Then I cut another coil.....PERFECT! For me, that is. Since there's no weight up front, I don't feel there's a lot of crazy bouncing inertia (like 600 lbs. of engine) that's going to go on a bounce-a-thon and bang up and down off the bump stops. Seriously, I haven't found the ride to be ridiculous or unstreetable whatsoever!

I say chop 2!!
Motornoggin
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Motornoggin »

Yeah. Cutting two coils. One thing though is I'm not finding any bump stops that dampen on the compression end of things. Only one I can find is on the underside of the upper control arm. This dampens the unloaded end of things. Just making sure I'm not missing anything.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Motornoggin wrote:Yeah. Cutting two coils. One thing though is I'm not finding any bump stops that dampen on the compression end of things. Only one I can find is on the underside of the upper control arm. This dampens the unloaded end of things. Just making sure I'm not missing anything.
Bump stop on the down motion is handled by a rubber stopper that slides over the top of the shock shaft. Many people take them out or cut them in half when they ride really low to try to get some suspension travel back.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Motornoggin
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Motornoggin »

Ok, that's what I was thinking, no bump stops present any longer. The shocks look like factory GM shocks, maybe they have been out sometime in the past.

Thanks for the info!

I promised pics when it's done. If the weather improves, I'll try to get some this afternoon.
rjonec

Post by rjonec »

I do not want infringe on the forum policies. However, I am a suspension guy by trade so if anyone wants help with springs I have a wealth of knowledge on the subject. I have been in the high performance suspension industry for 23+ years. I know pretty much zero about Corvair suspensions though. I just recently acquired my first vair so I will be doing my own research, but why reinvent the wheel. If you guys know of spring rates that are a good starting point let me know. If you can provide front and rear motion ratios and if you have data for the stock springs that would be helpful. With most of us running on modern radials the spring rate can be adjusted to take advantage of modern tire technology. I also have great contacts with several shock and sway bar manufacturers so if there is an interest on that front let me know.

My 2 cents on stock suspensions being too low is a problem especially when it comes to reducing the usable suspension travel. Also the suspension geometry can be negatively affected when set too low. A good rule of thumb is to make sure the lower ball joint centerline should not be higher than the centerline of the lower inner pickup point. This will usually keep from having the roll center go below the ground level. Most double arm suspensions in a road going vehicle will experience adverse affects if the roll center is below ground level. The typical result is excessive understeer. Most people then try and take was the traction at the rear to compensate for the poor traction at the front. The same rulesapply for the rear suspensions as well. Make sure that your axle shafts are parallel with the ground. If the outer u-joint is higher than the inner you will experience adverse effects regarding to u-joint wear and unwanted friction. Most suspensions of this variety also suffer from adverse toe steer characteristics when working outside a narrow range. Although I am sure GM did their home work on the kinematic behavior of the 65 and later rear suspension having to overcome the deficiencies of the swing axle rear of the first generation Corvair and all the other associate political BS they had to deal with during that era.

If you guys want to pm me on this topic that is fine or post on this thread. Or direct me to previous threads.

Just here to learn and provide input if I can.

Richard Jonec
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

Coil spring specialties has all of the stock specifications. I'm not sure if anyone else does?
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
rjonec

Post by rjonec »

Our Company has a good relationship with them I'll inquire with them and see what data they have available.

I'll be dropping the suspension this weekend. Do the rebuild process and gathering data at that time.

Richard
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Sounds like an interesting project Richard. Keep us posted.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
rjonec

Post by rjonec »

I wanted to give you guys an update on my project. It has been going a little slower than anticipated. However, the spring package I came up with has been ready for a couple of months. I have not had the chance to get it installed as I have decided to completely rebuild the suspension and drive line after conducted the initial tear down.

My initial research on the stock suspension is the front springs are 250 lb./in and the rear are 200 lb./in. These are stock 1966 Turbo springs. The spring tags are 3875088HJ front and 3875090HL Rear.

The motion ratio near static ride height is about 1.6:1 front and 1.25:1 in the rear . After reviewing ride frequency and calculating the wheel rates I arrived at a revised spring selection of 325 lb./in front and 315 lb./in rear. The targeted drop is about 1" lower than stock ride height. I am looking at achieving a slight rake about 1/4" higher in the rear than the front. I have chosen to increase the rear rate more than the front rate as I plan to run a staggered tire set up and looking for more neutral handling characteristics as I plan to do some autocross events with the car.

I am also planning on increasing the front sway bar diameter to increase the roll rate hence the disproportionate rear rate increase relative to the front. I have not selected a front diameter yet, but most likely it will be less than 1” in diameter. I expect to have the suspension in the next few weeks and will provide an update and some pics at that time.

I will publish more details in the coming weeks. If you have any questions let me know.

Richard
freedo
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by freedo »

saw this on instagram today,

Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

THAT"S LOW!!! looks so cool :tu:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Yeah, but the camber looks real bad even in the picture! I'll bet the handling isn't too good, the tire wear is terrible, and watch out for those speed bumps! :nono:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :whoa:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
freedo
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by freedo »

bbodie52 wrote:Yeah, but the camber looks real bad even in the picture! I'll bet the handling isn't too good, the tire wear is terrible, and watch out for those speed bumps! :nono:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :whoa:
Cars probably rarely driven and only on smooth roads
Am-Iron
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Am-Iron »

I cut two coils out of the front of mine and will adjust once I have my tires and I am sure the front is settled in. I plan on 245 50 16 in the rear and 225 50 15 in the front. I also have to get some center caps and lug nuts when I get the wheels refinished.

Check out my FB Page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corvair-O ... 0804308827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Too high --
original.jpg
original.jpg (64.4 KiB) Viewed 1187 times

Too low ---
DSC07572Kustomike-vi.jpg
Just right ::-):
1008.jpg
dragginvair1.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Am-Iron
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Am-Iron »

Kevin what did you do to yours for the just right stance? You probably have HD springs correct?
Check out my FB Page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corvair-O ... 0804308827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”