How low is too low?

All Models and Years
Ira

How low is too low?

Post by Ira »

So as previously stated I want the car lowered but still want the thing driveable.

The springs will all be HD with one coil removed... however... is there a better way to lower these cars? I'm used to using dropped spindles in conjunction with lowering springs but this isn't a street rod so I thought I would ask the panel.

First should I cut coils? or is there a better way?

Secondly how much is too much for a non-dedicated street/race car?

Also remember I can't use an airbag system as that would break the limited budget I can allocate for this particular car.

Once again thanks for everyone's help here!

Ira
TonyL
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: How low is too low?

Post by TonyL »

So far as I know, there arent any drop spindles to fit these cars. So cutting coils is the only way. Using HD coils and wagon coils works better since they make up for the spring rate difference of the lost turn on the coil by cutting it off.

Mine are 1 3/4 cut off. About as low as can be done. And truthfully isn't safe. If i were to hit a big enough bump, and my suspension were to become unloaded, I'd have a real good chance of having the spring come loose. Since I drive on good roads, it's not too huge an issue.
I've had a few conversations with the guys at ridetech though. And If there's enough interest, we may be looking at having a bolt on air-ride system in the future for our cars. complete with tubular a-arms to combat bump steer and camber issues, as well as a host of other "wouldn't that be nice to have" features too.
Pro-touring 66 Corvair Monza
Got an FQuick account yet? Get one! it's like Facebook for your car!
Ira

Post by Ira »

Okay... that was pretty much what I thought the responses would be.

So the way I hear it a 1" chop off of the top of HD coils should get me about where I want... plus or minus.

Also I was asked for a couple of pictures... every forum differs. I assume I click the tab "upload attachment" at the bottom of the page and browse off of my hard drive if I don't have a URL for my photos... ie Photobucket.

IRa
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

TonyL wrote:

Mine are 1 3/4 cut off. About as low as can be done. And truthfully isn't safe. If i were to hit a big enough bump, and my suspension were to become unloaded, I'd have a real good chance of having the spring come loose. Since I drive on good roads, it's not too huge an issue.

I have new replacement 2 inch drop HD springs, about 3 inches shorter than stock. With the front of the car jacked up, there is no chance of the springs coming out, still lots of pressure holding them in. When installing, I still had to jack up on the lower control arm to mount the lower ball joint. I honestly don't think you have to worry about the springs flying out.

IIRC, someone on FastVairs had done some work with S-10 drop spindles and made them work. Not sure what had to be done.... And my memory could be off on this one.... :dontknow:

1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
mlevair

Post by mlevair »

I run S10 drop spindles on both of my race cars and it gives you disc brakes.
Michael LeVeque
LeVair Performance & Restoration
Anderson,IN
765-617-9307
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

Hate to say it but...I win again!! :cool:

Roof of the racecar is 47" off the deck.
Attachments
PhilsCar2.jpg
PhilsCar2.jpg (20.91 KiB) Viewed 6485 times
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
J.M

Post by J.M »

mlevair wrote:I run S10 drop spindles on both of my race cars and it gives you disc brakes.
what modifications does this require to do?
TonyL
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TonyL »

mlevair wrote:I run S10 drop spindles on both of my race cars and it gives you disc brakes.
I'd heard about this mod, but didn't know if it actually worked. Any pics of it? Or a "how to" article? Im very interested.
Since the speedo goes through the spindle, is having a working speedo just out of the question then?
Pro-touring 66 Corvair Monza
Got an FQuick account yet? Get one! it's like Facebook for your car!
Ira

Post by Ira »

Uhhh... Yeah... I agree... how to tips for dropped S-10 spindles would be great.

I have to go and get an S-10 steering column for our Model A.... so whilst I'm there.....

Ira :chevy:
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

To bad your not near me Ira, I have a extra column left over. And drop spindels are aftermarket.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
gwydionjhr

Post by gwydionjhr »

Two thoughts.

1: If the S10 spindle has the same geometry as the LM 'vair, ball joint to ball joint height, wouldn't it be possible to have a 'vair spindle put into the ball joint to ball joint piece? (need more coffee, can't come up with the correct word)

2: On EMs I'd be curious to see if the 55-57 chevy Shockwaves aren't a direct bolt in. The EM car might even get away with the Shockwaves intended for the rear of a tri-5.
Regards,
Joel
1961 Rampside w/Deluxe Scamper Camper
1966 Corsized Cdn Monza Coupe
1967 UV #292
"Kick the Hell out of the Status Quo" - Ed Cole
Ira

Post by Ira »

Vanman wrote:To bad your not near me Ira, I have a extra column left over. And drop spindels are aftermarket.
Yeah, Illinois is a bit of a haul from here.

The dropped spindles are aftermarket but I was referring to parting the calipers and hardware off of an S-10.

Ultimately I think I'm just going to cut the coils as I'm told the speedometer cable runs through the spindle... is this true?

Ira :chevy:
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Another way to run a speedo is to get a magnetic pickup, fab a mount for the magnet and run the speedo that way. The VW guys do it, mostly on rails and buggys where you cant run a cable. But of course, your talking about spending more $. You have to use a electronic speedo also, VDO has a whole set up, CIP1.com sells the whole setup, minus the brackets to mount the pickup and magnet. They are usualy the cheapest, sorta like shopping for VW parts at Walmart, they buy in bulk.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
mlevair

Post by mlevair »

The S10 spindle geometry is similar enough to work. I have drilled the spindle to accept the speedo cable and grafted the bearing dust cup to the S10 cup to run the speedo it will work lots of work no money. YOu have to make the S10 spindle the same dimensions as the corvair where the ball joint sit and you have to bush the lower part of the spindle to accept the corvair ball joint. Making the bushing takes a special reamer.
I do this conversion if anyone is interested.
Michael LeVeque
Anderson,IN
765-617-9307
mlevair

Post by mlevair »

heres a pic
Attachments
MVC-002S.JPG
Michael LeVeque
Anderson,IN
765-617-9307
mlevair

Post by mlevair »

Phill I think we may have a tie on height I just measured my yellow car.
Michael LeVeque
Anderson,IN
765-617-9307

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”