1961 Brake master replacement?

All Models and Years
Durdan

1961 Brake master replacement?

Post by Durdan »

I know that my 61's brake master also holds the brake medal pivot mount as well, and mounts unlike any other master from 1962+, but has anyone actually make a bolt-in replacement that is dual channel? I recently got mine back on the road after 2 years and already started experiencing brake issues again (most likely due to sitting since i replaced everything 3 years ago).

I've toyed with the idea of making a pedal bracket setup using tilton/wilwood parts, but curious if anyone out there has seen someone else do it already.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 1961 Brake master replacement?

Post by bbodie52 »

:dontknow: I've always heard that the 1960-61 master cylinder upgrade concept is not really workable. Here are some past comments on this subject from another Corvair website...

:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,12376,12382

==========================================================================

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=145
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Durdan

Post by Durdan »

yeah, i read that post in my search. i feel like a lot of people that reply, though, aren't looking at the big picture because they're clouded by being purists. not only that, but when you're focused on one way to do things, it closes off a lot. by trade, i build race cars, customs, etc. my car is CERTAINLY not an example of my talent, but moreso my efficiency in laziness.

some people might see my master cylinder as being so product specific, that nothing else will go in its place. i see it as a mounting surface for something to this effect:

obviously i would only need a single pedal unit with a dual master setup. this would be quite simple to build and set up, and need only a balance bar between the masters instead of a proportioning setup.

i was just wondering if someone's already done it so i dont have to engineer it all myself
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Based on some of the innovative fixes you had previously posted, I did not think you would accept "NO" for an answer. I would like to see a dual hydraulic pedal arrangement that would not only support a dual brake master cylinder, but would support a slave cylinder for the clutch as well! It would be good to see a better, more reliable form of clutch actuation than the economical cable/pulley arrangement originally put in place by GM!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Durdan

Post by Durdan »

ain't THAT the truth!

my car was so low before that a tiny plastic speedbump grabbed the clutch actuator rod at the transmission and yanked it, shattering all of my pulleys. UGH. that was a fun 25 mile drive back home without being able to disengage the clutch.

it wouldn't have been TOO bad had i not been running a lawn & garden battery HAHA

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”