Floor covering options?

All Models and Years
91blaze

Floor covering options?

Post by 91blaze »

I'm just curious as to what you guys have done for floor covering. I don't care for carpet and want something that will withstand abuse and clean up easily without the use of floor mats. I've been thinking about using a bed liner like Line-X but want something to reduce engine and road noise. I've also thought about using Dynamat but I'm not sure how it would hold up to being stepped on constantly. Any advice is appreciated.
'66 Monza Coupe Project: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Floor covering options?

Post by azdave »

Were you aware that base model Corvairs came with "wall-to-wall" rubber floor covers instead of carpet? It's really doubtful you'll ever find any these days as it was never reproduced in the aftermarket. Any original rubber flooring in useable condition is as rare as hen's teeth. Once in a blue moon you'll see a set on eBay.

I might put down Dynamat for some extra comfort but I would always install carpet over that. I would never use a bedliner spray material on my Corvairs in the trunk, engine compartment or the interior...just not my style.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

My impression is that most auto manufacturers utilize carpet almost universally because it is the best material for automotive use. Supplemental mats on top of carpet can reduce wear and stains, but still allow air circulation to avoid trapping moisture — which is what often happens with the economy rubber matting that was used in some Corvairs. Moisture trapped under floor covering, or even under the mat used in the trunk bottom often caused accelerated rust and decay. Dynamat is designed for sound deadening, but I don't believe it is sturdy enough to withstand direct contact with shoes — which would probably damage it over time. It is intended to be installed under carpeting.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I had a 1960 Chevy station wagon that didn't have carpet, it had some kind of rubber in a textured finish but it was moulded. I did browse around & found a vinyl product plus other materials including carpet. Maybe there is something here of interest to you.

http://www.yourautotrim.com/maviflde.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

I did see you don't want carpet with a mat but I like this solution. Factory carpet and a full factory NOS floor mat (craigs list special)
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”