Honda B20 turbo in corvair

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
MikeDTuning

Re: Honda B20 turbo in corvair

Post by MikeDTuning »

Honda B20 turbo powered corvair. Is it the first honda powered corvair out there?
donstephens

Post by donstephens »

Same here...
Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

The video worked for me. The engine sounds great!
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

MikeDTuning wrote:try this link
Both links work for me today. Thanks for the update!
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Jamison82

Post by Jamison82 »

Mike,

I'm curious to know if the car is still performing well. Also, have you come across anyone else that has performed a similar swap?

-Jamison
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

Car is still running great, i put around 7000 miles on it this summer, and cant wait to do some more!
I think i have the motor set up to a "sweet spot" now, where its making about the max it can reliably on a stock block. Maybe next year ill build the engine and turn the boost up!

However, it is under the knife again right now for a project unrelated to the engine

Honda B20 turbo powered corvair. Is it the first honda powered corvair out there?
chris

Post by chris »

Keep it coming Mike, looks good!
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

The kinked tie rods are puzzling. Could you explain please?
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

its a clearance issue, and the kinks look alot worse in the photos, than they actully are. (bad angle)

the rack is all in and working now, it ends up being 1.8-2 turns lock to lock. the steering is also lighter due to less resistance. and MUCH less steering slop.

Also, cool thing about this rack, There is zero bump steer due to the tie rods being center mounted. It also have over 7 inchs of travel end to end, so the wheels can still turn to either bump stop!

Here is my parts list.
Steering rack from 2001 Dodge intrepid.
stock corvair tie rod ends
3/4 36 spline to 3/4 DD universal joint
3/4 DD to 3/4 smooth universal joint
36inch DD steering shaft (however only 8 5/8ths inchs was needed)
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Why didn't you go with an h engine? I still think it would be cool to do an h23 with twin webers. No need for vtec and in a prelude good for a 15sec 1/4 stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

Main reasons were price, and weight and H engine is heavier than a b series,, I also think the B series has a better aftermarket.

And this sub 60k miles JDM b20 was 300$ including shipped to my door.

Other news, the steering rack feels awesome, the car really inspires confidence now though the bends, Its amazing how the steering even feels lighter, despite the quicker ratio (1.9 turns lock to lock) more direct steering also has less resistance! the brake caliper swap out is welcomed. the slightly different volume seams to bias better with the factory drums in the rear still.
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

Since its been a few months since ive updated here, i figured i should, to start, the gearbox issues are now resolved, ive put around 2k miles on the newest differential with no issues. This is far better than before. Now onto other parts of the car

One of these parts, is starting to get the chassis in line, I have had the roll bar/partial roll cage in for a few years, however i had Zero support on the cowel, This combined with a stiffer than stock suspension created a lot of cowl shake
Enter solution

This is the best way i could figure out to keep it easy to enter/exit the car, while still being quite a bit more rigid than before. And i mean quite a bit, This made a monster difference!! It feels like a different car!

Next project is rear wheel bearings. Before i order the clarks remans, Is there anybody in the southern mass, RI, or NH area that is experienced with this?

Mike D
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

MikeDTuning wrote:Since its been a few months since ive updated here, i figured i should, to start, the gearbox issues are now resolved, ive put around 2k miles on the newest differential with no issues. This is far better than before. Now onto other parts of the car

One of these parts, is starting to get the chassis in line, I have had the roll bar/partial roll cage in for a few years, however i had Zero support on the cowel, This combined with a stiffer than stock suspension created a lot of cowl shake
Enter solution

This is the best way i could figure out to keep it easy to enter/exit the car, while still being quite a bit more rigid than before. And i mean quite a bit, This made a monster difference!! It feels like a different car!

Next project is rear wheel bearings. Before i order the clarks remans, Is there anybody in the southern mass, RI, or NH area that is experienced with this?

Mike D
Awesome. You have any more videos? I think I'm following you on YouTube. How does it drive with the factory transmission? Is the power useable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

Hi MikeDTuning, You mentioned cowl shake and you installed an X-brace between the roll bar and windshield frame. Did your Corvair already have the four cocktail shakers in the corners of the trunk and engine compartment? They are heavy, but the factory put them there to dampen cowl shake.
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

my car did have the weights, but i removed them a long time ago, I think the stiffer suspension made any effect the weight had negligible.

The power is very usable, Currently i am running an open diff, and in a straight line with either the 3.55, or 3.27 gear ratios the car just squat and goes. you can slide the back end out in 1st gear whenever you want around a bend, and second gear if you push it hard. It should also be noted that i have 255 width sticky summer tires on the car. I would suspect this helps keep things planted
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

MikeDTuning wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:49 pm my car did have the weights, but i removed them a long time ago
It's not clear if you (or other readers) understand that these "cocktail shakers" were not weights used for ballast. They were harmonic dampers that were tuned to cancel out unwanted vibrations that were inherent in the more flexible chassis of the 65-69 convertibles.

They were also found in other convertibles of the era such as Camaros and Firebirds. Inside each damper is a spring and weight along with some oily fluid. Many owners removed them years ago thinking the loss of just under 100 lbs of mass would improve their fuel mileage.

Here is an interesting story about them;
viewtopic.php?t=8520
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”