different approach to the mid-engine

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
Tom Z

different approach to the mid-engine

Post by Tom Z »

..1st time posting on here-I've wanted to do the 'mid-engine' thing since 1970,just neer had the $$ or time/space to..with the key pieces NA now,I'm attempting to modify the Saginaw case by welding 'ears' on,rather than fab an adapter/spacer plate..I've posted to that 'other' forum with my progress,with many pics,but I could also start one here if there's enough interest..trying to get the power-train located from scratch is a major hurdle..
Attachments
mid4.3 012.jpg
mid4.3 060.jpg
diffmount 008.jpg
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: different approach to the mid-engine

Post by Scott H »

Yes I would like to see more.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
mlevair

Post by mlevair »

I know the feeling I just did the same with a customer car.
Michael LeVeque
LeVair Performance & Restoration
Anderson,IN
765-617-9307
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

..when the case is welded,crack-checked and machined,I'll post a pic..I'm hoping to replace the 'ox-yoke' with a tubular engine mount,supporting the bellhsg and hung where the ox-yoke mounts to the unibody..I haven't found the pre-66? short crank+ waterpump pulleys yet,for the 'short' pump,aside from chrome-$$ ones..
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

--Michael,you mean locating the power-train ??..I've found the diff 'location' in pics 021 and 044,and from my notes from a Crown sub-frame the crank C/L is even with the small 'ledge' on the rocker panels,but I could be off side-to-side..any chance you or someone can post measurements from,say,the block/front mount 3/8-16 bolts (common to SBC and 4.3) to each side,like where the base of the pinch weld/ledge is ??..I'd make a jig like a carpenter's square to hold that off the driver's side..TIA..
Attachments
mid4.3 021.jpg
mid4.3 044.jpg
mid4.3 003.jpg
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

Time for more photo's Tom
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Yeah!....interesting!!
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

..well,I was waiting till I made some real progress..the power-train is "in",car rolled out of garage (after I got the shift cover rev 'fork' in the idler gear,not behind it..)..need to get it up on 4 ramps to replace the whole floor (it's gone..) and frame in the radiator support;;the steering box is making me look at the Must-ll front sub-frame again..chopped up the SBC headers to make my own 'upswept' exhaust,but need at least 1 more,for the single end-ports and tubing bends..the set of 205-60-15 Toyo's should be here today,from Tiresdirect--$265 shipped,for 4,isn't bad..
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

..nice warm,calm days recently (for a change..),so I did a 'quickee' on the left-rear 1/4 panel,along with reverting to using the stock exhaust/Y-pipe;only need to get a 'pull' slave from Speedway to work the clutch,and some off-the-shelf 45*/90* pipe pieces for a single exhaust..welded the *whole* floor-pan in,except for the underside unibody frame (ran out of Ar/CO2 for the MIG..)..got the mystery shifter out,the stock gas pedal in,and hacked some off the front preparing to fit the s10 front bumper on,in place of the rotted directional light area,and marked the left headlight bucket to cut out the back:: I want to mount the headlight plate further back,so the lamps don't stick out..big Chevy truk radiator fits in an s10/4.3 radiator 'shroud',and will just fit ahead of the steering box,tilted back on the top..
Attachments
500mideng 001.jpg
500mideng 002.jpg
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Whoa! :whoa:
This project sounds like it gonna be really nice. I like your thinking. :think: :tu:
I am curious to see what the front end is going to look like with your mods done to it.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

..**ME TOO**-!!!..the width is a tad tight,around the fenders,but I notched the bend and will hammer-fit..center 'lip' will enter the body,Lic plate will be about same location,need to notch that to fit 'flat',then angle to follow body lines..bigger s10 directionals are in the bumper,where the stock ones are..that panel was 'gone' anyhow,so it'll be a "solid" repair..s10 spoiler obviously will 'bolt on'..inner panel will need to be swiss-cheesed for radiator air..85-92 s10 Blazer gas tank fits nice where the Corvair engine was,I have both the 'carb' sender and a few TBI ones,w/ in-tank pump..'86 Celebrity trunk lid is both wide and tall,so it'll get cut down for the 'firewall'..Speedways pull-slave will be here Friday,should have tacked on the $75 'Platinum' harness,but I've got enough to work on right now..'mystery shifter' placement,linkage/rods are probably the biggest problem..have a C-C cable,about 4' long ,that would be perfect for throttle to stock pedal/tube/bellcrank,looping behind the bellhsg/away from the exhaust,but it's stiff..don't recall what it's from to get another..
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

..got the alternator brace and battery tray 'done',started looking at the possible shift linkage solutions..I'm scrapping excess s10 stuff and came across several AT column linkage rods that look 'perfect' to get around the bellhsg,and reach to just behind the engine support where I'll put a 'bellcrank'..have to dig up the drivers' seat and compare an s10 steering column to the stock one,so I can locate the shifter..looks like rain today,pics asap..
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

awesome thanks Tom
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

..here's pics of the linkage rods,battery tray location and a comparison of the '66 column vs an '88-ish s10 stick column..I have several steering wheels,s10,Camaro,Celebrity, that will 'bolt on',,no more scrounging for the aftermarket adapter to the Corvair shaft..integral wiper/directional/4way,and modern column key,just need to rework the floor plate end and adapt the "D" shaft to the '66 splined shaft..
Attachments
500mideng 005.jpg
500mideng 006.jpg
500mideng 004.jpg
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

..threaded the rods 3/8-24 by hand with only a $3 die easily..the trans has been slowly dripping MTF from the side cover,looks like the lower-corner 'stud' is too close to the cover gasket,,relatively easy fix but another step 'backwards'..
Attachments
500mideng 007.jpg
500mideng 008.jpg
Am-Iron
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Am-Iron »

Tom Is there any news on this build? I am really interested to watch this one!
Check out my FB Page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corvair-O ... 0804308827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”