1966 Corvair Corsa Coupe 455 Big Block Olds V8

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

1966 Corvair Corsa Coupe 455 Big Block Olds V8

Post by bbodie52 »

I saw this on Facebook, and thought it was worth repeating here...

Fred Dietrich wrote:I saw a 65-66 Corsa or Monza about 25 years ago, in Silicon Valley, that had a 455ci Olds Toronado V-8 in the rear. It also had what looked like a 'pro' or factory logo on the rear lid, where the 'Turbo' or '140' goes, that said "Coronado". If GMC made a motorhome named Coronado, they might have lifted the medallion, but the conversion looked pro or factory built. Here's a vid of a similar (might be the same) car, but this one is in AZ. The comments on this YouTube vid are as interesting as the vid, so be sure to read them. And SlicKraft has 44 great vids on conversions, many on Corvairs.
SlicKraft wrote:Uploaded on Jun 2, 2011 by slickraft
"Quick teaser clip of my recently reborn 1966 Corvair. I redesigned the rear suspension and supports and then upgraded from a tired 425 Olds V8 to a larger 455 big block Oldsmobile power package from an early Toronado. Video also shows my latest LED tail light upgrades in action."

:link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... P1O4Yu79zk
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: 1966 Corvair Corsa Coupe 455 Big Block Olds V8

Post by azdave »

I've never heard of a "Coronado" logo being officially used on any Corvair/Toronado conversion but I've seen Coronado motorhomes so that is likely the source of the emblem.

I think two companies offered basic hard parts and plans to do the conversion but I've never seen any logos like Fred describes myself. It was nice to see my video show up on Facebook. I should do a better one someday. I kept that one short and sweet.

Hard to believe I've had my V8 back on the road for over 2.5 years now. I sure have fun with it. Not much has changed since I made that video other than a new vanity plate that better explains what is in the back seat. I was surprised that people couldn't figure out that "BBO" means Big Block Olds but they were always asking me at the shows to explain it. Now that it says "455 OLDS" they get it right away. I've been trying to get that plate for over 5 years and finally it became available. I'm sure some Oldsmobile owner would like to have that on his 442.
Attachments
PB260062.JPG
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
croderique
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by croderique »

Dave's 455 sounds even better live. :^}
Chuck Roderique
1966 Corvair Monza Convertible, 110 H.P. 4 sp, Aztec Bronze with Bronze Interior
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

It was that sound in the video that made me want to post it on the Corvair Forum. :evil: :funnypost:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”