The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
hrm2k

Re: The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Post by hrm2k »

It won............I lost.........it kicked my ass ...............so I am taking a break. I drove it into the storage garage this afternoon..............maybe later this year

cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Bummer :doh: But it's good to take a break for a bit :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

IT has been a while since my last post. I am pretty much over being pissed off at the car.

I have acquired a new building to become my hot rod shop. While this is not site correct, it does mean 2 things.
#1. I will have to move the Corvair out of the storage area and into the work area..............it will get worked on !!!!
#2. The corvair will get driven the 2 1/2 miles from the storage garage to the new shop.

My new building used to be a Preston Motor Freight maintenance garage where they worked on over the road trucks. The garage itself is 1250 Sq Feet with a 300 SqFt office. The office is heated and A/C. The garage is heated with a bathroom :clap: :clap: and running water :clap: :clap:

Let me take you on a quick tour of the place as of the first day I got the keys.

There you have it. Look for some updates in about 60 days
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Glad the project is not dead in the water. New shop looks nice. Get moved in there and make some progress.

I'm trying to get a few "fun" car projects done this winter (as opposed to just doing mandatory repairs).

I got the biggest house projects inside and out completed like solar panels up and running, alarm system/security cameras installed, trees removed, RV gate rebuilt and with new remote open/close motor. Next week I'm pouring a concrete pad next to the garage to expand my work area outside and have a place to permanently park my air compressor.

After that I've got a 65 Monza parts car to cut up and then I can get some enjoyable work lined up for the other Vairs including some tinkering on the latest Toro V8 I got about a month ago.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

It was just a matter of time before things started happening. I finished up bunch of work on my hot rod and now I am ready to finish this pig up. I was very happy today when it came time to move something around. The Corvair hasn't been run sine I put it away in the spring of 2014. Stuck the battery in it, let the electric pump get the pressure up, hit the gas pedal four times and the damn thing lit off like it was run about a week ago. I took it down the street a couple of times to get the temp up a little. Even I am impressed with how well it runs. Now it is just changing out the control rods on the bottoms of the trailing arms and it is all go

I just also noticed over 14,500 views........ :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I think there are a lot of fans rooting for this project to move into the "SUCCESS" column!

:tu: :thewave: :tu:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Great to see you working in it again.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
rowin4

Post by rowin4 »

Glad to see you back, get those control rods figured out, something like a corvette has and have fun driving that car.
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

I have finally gotten some work done on the rear suspension. I finished up my new rear cross member that will hold the control rods. Hopefully this will end the camber in situation that I have had. Here is quick shot I took this evening as I was leaving. I still need a couple of more braces and then it is time for the new control rods. I will be using control rods with L/H and R/H threaded ends along with spacers.............but that is for another day

BTW................almost 15,000 views........un-believable :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy:
rowin4

Post by rowin4 »

Can't really tell with that picture what you have designed , I think your trying to hard to come up with a solution. Look at the Vett rear set up, straight bars from trailing arms to the center. I can't wait till you get this thing rolling down the road.
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

time has not been on my side. after 5 months of moving the garages, we bought a new house and the last couple of months have gone into keeping the wife happy. With that said...............

I picked up my new control rods from the machine shop this morning. The piece that I made was based off some pictures of another Corvair with a TH425 transaxle. Here are a couple of pics to give you an idea

I have a tendency to over engineer stuff.................this new cross member weighs in at about 70 lbs. It will loose some weigh when I cut it back to size now that I have the rods. Hopefully soon ..............very soon
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Had a good time at the garage this morning. I got the notches done in the cross member so the rod ends have room to go up and down. I bolted the whole thing together and connected the control rods :pray: . And it worked out correctly
I find that I need one more bracket out near the passenger's side. That should be a piece of cake . I took the whole thing apart and put some paint on the pieces......

More to follow SOON !!!!!!
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

:tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

All the rods and rod ends bolted in just like they were supposed to. I did need to check the axle for the right rear just to make sure it was completely in...........turns out it was. I did the adjustment and got both rear tires into a straight up position. ............I'm ready to drive................turn the switch and clik....clik...clik. Still see 12.4 volts............checked everything else. Starter is not engaging. This mini hi torque starter has may 12 to 15 starts on it and that's all.
I find my next test is make sure the engine will turn over. I spend probably 20 minutes trying to get the Lexan cover off. Just have to finesse it a little. Finally got it off........engine turns just as it should

MAybe another day..........dropped the starter off to a shop to see if they can find something wrong with it............

more to follow soon !!!!!!!!
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Making progress :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
County98

Post by County98 »

Looking good, glad it's coming back around. Really like the new shop btw!
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”