Corvairant

First Nissian SR20 (Na to turbo)powered Corvair

Post by Corvairant »

IMG_0289.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0354.JPG
So I have a 65 Corvair convertible Corsa That I had for many years and decided to do something different . Well after x wife sold all my stashed parts ... TRW 60 over pistons and the like for Penney on the dollar.... Got the Nissan motor on craigslist with the adapter plate and clutch and flywheel for a very reasonable price , but first motor had a blown head gasket, second motor was underwater from Japan ,got full refund or exchange . But the third motor is running well
Attachments
IMG_5183.JPG
IMG_5184.JPG
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Re: First Nissian SR20 (Na to turbo)powered Corvair

Post by SyntheticBlnkerFluid »

Looks like your SR20 came out of an Infiniti G20. Should be good for 140hp in NA form. A turbo would definitely get you about 200hp easily.

Cool build :tu:

It's cool to see a non-V8 engine swap every once in a while. Good luck with the rest of the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
1968 Monza 140 4-Speed Posi

Rob
Chebanse, IL
Corvairant

Post by Corvairant »

Thanks ,that was from a G20 but now it's a JDM import and has no smog s**t.... but wit the turbo I have on 12-15 lbs of pressure , estimated 235 to 275 crank hp !
Guys have done 400hp on stock bottom ends ... crazy!!!
Corvairant

Post by Corvairant »

Wanted to post some more pics ... worked a little on car today . I have a pair off headers that were cracked , so today my friend welded them up for me ... nice to have friends with skills . Headers on this motor is 10-15 more hp dyno proven !
IMG_5342.JPG
IMG_5347.JPG
IMG_5349.JPG
IMG_5351.JPG
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

So I'm curious on how you're providing airflow to the radiator. Most people front mount theirs, but yours seems to work, just looks like it needs a fan or something.

Rob
Chebanse, IL
Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

Hi Synthetic, What kind of transaxle? Also, aside from mounting points for the lower control arms, did you need to make any modifications to the transaxle, such as flipping the ring gear?
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

This Corvairant's post, I'm just commenting. :-P

Rob
Chebanse, IL
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

Allan Lacki wrote:Hi Synthetic, What kind of transaxle? Also, aside from mounting points for the lower control arms, did you need to make any modifications to the transaxle, such as flipping the ring gear?
In an earlier post, corvairant says: "I have installed a 094 vanagon transaxle and nissian sr20 into the rear of a 65 corsa convertible ...so far so good !!!"

094 = water cooled vanagan transaxle, amd it's mounted in it's normal orientation. The sr20 turns the same direction as the vanagon engine, so no flipping the ring gear or reverse rotation of the engine. Nice to see something really different in an engine swap.

Corvairant, how are the gear ratios working out? The 094 typically has pretty low gears, do you even use 1st gear?

Marty Scarr
chris

Post by chris »

Yes, details are always good! I love the Corvair engine but also love seeing different approaches.
Corvairant

Post by Corvairant »

First gear is pretty low ... gearing could be better ! But with such a high reving engine (stock red line of 7200)it still fun !!!
Vanagon water cooled 094 transaxle
Corvair trans support was Cut and welded bracket to bolt to nose of trans stock location
Corvairant

Post by Corvairant »

On the subject of cooling , still working on that ! I have used oem fans from Nissian to pull air through radiator and out back of car thru holes I cut between tail lights and License plate , as well as I've added a Subaru hood scoop to hood . Temp without hood scoop is really good till driven at 60 to 70 mph for a length of time , 10 to 15 minutes of constant same speed . But varied speed of 25 to 60 it's great o temp. And it does get heat soak if I romp on it for throu some street by house but cools down good once back to normal driving without pulling over IMG_4985.PNG
IMG_5024.PNG
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

its good to see another turbo 4cyl popped into a vair, and a good use of a Vw transaxle,

I always wanted to do this was a saab turbo engine, They make stupid power, for short money

Mike D
Honda B20 turbo powered corvair. Is it the first honda powered corvair out there?
MikeDTuning

Post by MikeDTuning »

Also, on my honda powered vair, i ended up putting the rad where the back seat is, and making an underscoop in the floorpan. It works as both heater, and rad.
Honda B20 turbo powered corvair. Is it the first honda powered corvair out there?
Corvairant

Post by Corvairant »

I would like to see some pics of your cooling system and scoop thanks !!!
Corvairant

Post by Corvairant »

IMG_5385.PNG
This is what I'm trying to use to get air flow thru radiator and thinking of doing a diffuser with scoopto pull air as well as a Subaru hood scoop
IMG_5329.JPG
IMG_5330.JPG
IMG_5331.JPG
Corvairant

Post by Corvairant »

On the subject of gearing between the stock corvair trans and the vw's ,
IMG_5386.PNG
IMG_5387.PNG
IMG_5388.PNG

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”