FWD V8 Powertrain Install

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
Danny Joe

FWD V8 Powertrain Install

Post by Danny Joe »

I started off thinking about a 3.8L powertrain/suspension. While looking around for good views of the engine cradle and suspension of the GM W-body cars, I started considering the 5.3L V8 more and more.

I haven't found any weights so far, but being aluminum, it might even weigh less than the 3.8L.

This is from Wikipedia:
With the use of the 5.3 liter LS4 V8, the Impala SS is capable of a 5.6 second 0–60-mile-per-hour (0–97 km/h) time and a quarter-mile time of 14.2 seconds traveling at 101 miles per hour (163 km/h).[41] The ninth generation Impala was 200.4 inches (5,090 mm) long, 58.7 inches (1,491 mm) high, and 72.9 inches (1,850 mm) wide. (They also weigh 3700 lbs, a 1000 more than a Rampside.)

I don't really want to go racing around, but it would be nice to be able to surprise a Mustang off the line. GGG
(I am thinking of this for a Rampside.They are 70" wide, with a combination of wheel backspacing and flaring it should fit nicely.)

Plan will be to get a donor in good condition. Then to remove everything needed. This will include the intact wiring harnesses, steering column, instrument cluster, all heating and A/C components, front seats, console, shifter and complete brake system. Then see how much of it can be integrated into a Rampside.

I found a great picture of the 2007 Impala front suspension, it will be fairly simple and straightforward to fabricate mounts for the cradle and the struts.

Would there be any problems with removing the steering rack and using 2 struts anchored to its mounting points to secure the hubs and set the toe? (What are those joints called?)
Impala Suspension.jpg
Impala Suspension.jpg (89.82 KiB) Viewed 1658 times
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
tiger13

Re: FWD V8 Powertrain Install

Post by tiger13 »

The joints are called CV joints, or Constant Velocity joints.
Rusty in NC
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

This sounds an interesting idea, and I'm going to throw in my thoughts:

The idea in principle is sound, but you need to think about how you're going to feed in the considerable forces at the suspension top mounts, into the rampside body.

If it were me, I would get a whole Impala, to give you all the parts you need to make that engine run, as well as a load of other useful bits you hadnt even considered!

Strip the whole front end of the car, weld a lattice of 'X' braces across the engine bay, and between the top mount flanges. Then cut the whole front end away from the bulkhead.

Next, trim your Impala engine bay, to get rid of external clutter, and make it a sensible 'shape'.

Cut the corresponding section out of the rampside.

Drop the Impala engine bay into the rampside, bolt the subframe and suspension in (without springs) and set everything up at the correct ride height and wheelbase. Wheels help with this!

Measure everything tens of times, but remember that its the relationship between front and rear wheels that dictate whether it crabs or drive straight, so make these your priority!

Weld everything in!

Drop the engine and transmission in!

Think you're almost finished? Think again, you've still got a load of wiring and other systems to figure out ;)

In regards to the steering rack; the rack can be removed, and track rods fabricated which lock the rear wheels straight. Make sure that those track rods are adjustable so you can set the toe! Make them a similar length to the steering rack track rods (joint to joint) and fabricate an inner bracket which mounts them as close to the original piviot point as possible...

If this sounds like a lot of work, its because it is. If you dont have the necessary skills, facilities and time, or cant afford to pay someone who has, then leave the Rampside alone, and just enjoy it!

If you want to take this scale if project on, then you'll get plenty of support here!
' Success Consists of Going From Failure to Failure, Without Loss of Enthusiasm'

Winston Churchill
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

Tiger 13, The joints I was referring to are what Hellbilly called track rods. You were talking about the axle joints.

Hellbilly, that is my plan, to get a complete donor car in good shape. I don't have a Rampside as yet, but it may be easier and cheaper to find one without a powertrain.

It looks like the bed over the motor and possibly the differential will have to be raised 6-8 inches. This will make for easier access for fabricating mounts for the struts and cross-bracing.

Oh, yeah, I figure the wiring will probably take more man-hours than anything else! :think: :dontknow: :doh: :sad5:

I want the steering column (at least the top half) for the cruise and turn signals. Also the A/C components to try to fit them, if possible. Transplant the instrument cluster to take advantage of the computer. And as you said, everything else I can come up with the can be used from the donor. The van on EBay used the seats and shifter from a Monte Carlo.

For the track rods, I plan to make a mount that bolts in where the rack goes to keep the geometry correct.

I appreciate the advice and encouragement, It helps to know that my plan is workable and that help is close by.
'64 Spyder Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

You were looking for Heim Joints (ball and socket joints) for the adjustable rods needed to replace the Rack. There are R and L threaded joints and adjusting rods available that would be adequate for this application.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Hellbilly

Post by Hellbilly »

Always glad to offer an opinion ;)

You are on your own in many respects, so you need to do your home-work thoroughly...

Good luck either way :D
' Success Consists of Going From Failure to Failure, Without Loss of Enthusiasm'

Winston Churchill
SfcColts

Post by SfcColts »

A few years back someone had a rampside for sale that had a similar conversion done. I looked to me as if it was a GM 2.8 or 3.1 v6 with cradle installed in the back of the rampside. I wish I had a link for you but sadly I don't.
65 Arrival Blue Monza
64 Palomar Red Monza
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

V8 and V6 engines have been inserted into Corvairs of all model years, including cars, vans and trucks, in the front, middle and back. Even an external mount!

:link: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=10499

Here is some discussion and photos covering a Corvair V8 front-engine conversion

:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 858,585782

Also see...

:link: https://www.google.com/search?q=corvair ... 44&bih=770
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

:doh: Heim Joints! :doh:
Thanks Ted, I have seen them mentioned in posts recently, just drew a blank on the name.
Just saw some in MikeD's latest post but he didn't mention a name.

Hellbilly, you are SO right. This winter will be devoted to research and contemplation. I need to learn more about what to watch out for in a used vehicle. I have already heard about checking cams and lifters and that certain transmissions may have issues.

Depending on what I can find, the 3.8L supercharged powertrains are reliable and long lasting, plus they fit a Corvair Owner's main criterion, they are Much cheaper than the V8!
'64 Spyder Convertible

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”