Therapeutic effect of Corvairs - Back to work on the seats

Humor, Politics, etc...
Rons64

Therapeutic effect of Corvairs - Back to work on the seats

Post by Rons64 »

So to keep my mind off the prostate surgery I'm having tomorrow, I decided to take the front seats out of the Vair and get ready to install the new upholstery Clark's sent a couple of weeks ago.
The slow, steady work of cutting each hog ring and removing each half is very distracting. I learned years ago that if you leave any halves behind, they will either bite or make you think you already ringed a spot that needs a new one. I like to take photos as I go so that I don't forget how the cover was installed originally. Especially since there is likely to be a recovery interval before I get back to this. Clark's instructions are great, fully explaining each step in understandable language.

I'll report back when I'm done.
Corvair Therapy :tu:
Ron
Last edited by Rons64 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Therapeutic effect of Corvairs

Post by azdave »

Definitely a good idea on the photos as it comes apart. Sometime I shoot video while I'm working because like you, I find it might be weeks or months before I get to the re-assembly stages and then it's not always so clear in my head. If it's longer than that until I re-assemble I usually have misplaced the photos or video. ::-):

Good luck on the surgery!
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Another good luck with the surgery. I had a transesophageal echocardiogram done today, had 2 stents put in in January. My Heart is working at 25%, been laid up for 9 weeks so far. If you have a pair of side cutters grab the hog ring & pull & twist counter clockwise, it is easier than cutting. I worked 27 years making & rebuilding mattresses. Must have removed a million hog rings & found that was the easiest way. Have fun. :tu:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Rons64

Post by Rons64 »

Cool. I'll try that twisting move; it sounds good. Sorry you've been laid up so long. I hope your recovery is quick from here on. I was in Kalamazoo a few years ago on guy's road trip and wanted to stop in Hickory Corners - what a terrific car museum. Thanks, Dave; a video may be a better approach.
Ron
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Got to wondering last night if I had the right direction I turned them but one way they will open right up & come off easy. I retired in 2002 & I cannot remember last week anymore. :doh: Gilmore's Car Museum is one of the best in the country, the guy who started it was Donald Gilmore. His family owned big department store in Kalamazoo & he is related to the UpJohn family, pill makers.$$$$ My father owned a plating shop & we plated all of the chrome for Donald until we went out of business in 1975. I can go there and still see some of my work from the late 60's & early 70's.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Rons64

Re: Therapeutic effect of Corvairs - Back to work on the seats

Post by Rons64 »

So the surgery went well - a few days of discomfort, but the results are great! Still taking it easy, but I think I can twist hog rings. Thanks for the education on twisting. Pretty cool that you can see your work in the Gilmore museum. I need to get back there someday.

Return to “Off Topic”