Corvair's on television

Humor, Politics, etc...
toytron

Corvair's on television

Post by toytron »

Was that a corvair van I just saw on season 2 episode 6 of Gotham?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Corvair Forum mobile app
Last edited by toytron on Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
PaulR

Re: Corvair's on television

Post by PaulR »

toytron wrote:Was that a corvair van I just saw on season 2 episode 6 of Gotham?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Corvair Forum mobile app
Yes, I saw an episode last season in which a couple of goons driving a Corvan kidnapped a bunch of nuns from off the street. I think I recall that the nuns were being held hostage, or something, under threat of being blown up. You know that those two guys are going to hell for that.
1964 Monza convertible 110/PG
toytron

Post by toytron »

Yeah how dare they do that to a corvan

Ed Stevenson
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
lalkie

Post by lalkie »

Watch route 66 on Hulu if you want to see corvairs on TV. Chevrolet sponsored the show and there a lot of early 60's cars.
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

lalkie wrote:Watch route 66 on Hulu if you want to see corvairs on TV. Chevrolet sponsored the show and there a lot of early 60's cars.
Yep, I have the complete "Route 66" series on DVD that I bought cheap off of eBay a few years ago. A lot of Corvairs were being pimped on that show at that time. Too bad my DVD copies were more or less bootleg public domain, some being of out of focus at times or having some harsh shadowing and contrasts. I also liked to watch re-runs of "The Fugitive" on MeTV, and in one particular episode, they had some good close-up shots of the actor David Janssen driving a Greenbrier.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

There was a Corvan in an episode of Orange is the New Black on Netflix. It was in a flashback of Norma's. It broke down and the driver cussed it out.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Lest we forget this recent TV series...

Corvair Monza Spyder "Cameo" on Vegas TV
:link: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=4411

Corvair Monza Spyder "Cameo" on Vegas TV - The Sequal
:link: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=5586

Click on the above links for more pictures. I have also seen Corvairs make regular appearances in episodes of Adam 12.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

bbodie52 wrote:Lest we forget this recent TV series...

Corvair Monza Spyder "Cameo" on Vegas TV
:link: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=4411

Corvair Monza Spyder "Cameo" on Vegas TV - The Sequal
:link: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=5586

Click on the above links for more pictures. I have also seen Corvairs make regular appearances in episodes of Adam 12.
The producers of Dragnet and Adam-12 (Mark VII Productions) seemed to like placing Corvairs prominently in their shows. I can think of a couple memorable ones from each. On Adam-12, a middle aged drunk driver was stopped in Ash Gold (?) 1968 convertible by officers Reed and Malloy and again a Crocus Yellow 1965 Monza coupe was shown, and actually mentioned in the dialog as a Corvair, used by a couple of U S Army deserters. On Dragnet, a crooked tow truck company operator was wrenching under the engine lid of a Willow Green 1966 Monza, while being questioned by detectives Friday and Gannon. That was a rather long scene, at least a couple of minutes.
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Saw another Corvair on television last night. It was on the NBC show "Timeless", which the name is pretty much self explanatory, a series about time traveling. It has rather average writing and the same old TV cliches, but last night's episode was all right. They went back to the time of the first NASA lunar landing and one of the main cast was sitting in a 1966 Corsa convertible. It was kind of ratty: a dull forest green exterior color, a dingy white top, tan interior, large front seat head rests that I had never seen before, and big "meat" tires on the rear with aftermarket wheels all around.

The 30 year old main male cast character's cover story was supposed to be an FBI man. I would have thought that a young professional could have scored a better ride than that rough, boy-racer looking 'Vair. But I guess a lot of 3 1/2 to 4 year old cars could have took a beating back then.

The show is, as usual, historically suspect. Of course it was supposed to be set in Houston, TX at Mission Control around the middle of July 1969, but most of the characters when shown outside, were wearing long sleeves or even light jackets. Ha ha ha...
Last edited by PaulR on Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

A 1961 Corvair makes a regular appearance in the 1995 movie Mr. Holland's Opus, starring Richard Dreyfuss.

ImageImage
Brad Bodie
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Post by SyntheticBlnkerFluid »

PaulR wrote:Saw another Corvair on television last night. It was on the NBC show "Timeless", which the name is pretty much self explanatory, a series about time tripping. It has rather average writing and the same old TV cliches, but last night's episode was all right. They went back to the time of the first NASA lunar landing and one of the main cast was sitting in a late convertible, probably a 1966(?). It was kind of ratty, an almost flat forest green exterior color with a tan interior, large seat head rests that I had never seen before, and big "meat" tires on the rear with aftermarket wheels all around. The show is, as usual, historically suspect though. Of course it was supposed to be set in Houston at "Mission Control" near the end of July 1969, but most of the characters when shown outside, were wearing long sleeves or even light jackets. Ha ha ha...
The episode when they went back to the Watergate scandal, there was a LM in the background of a parking garage scene.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
1968 Monza 140 4-Speed Posi

Rob
Chebanse, IL
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

There was also a recent episode of Last Man Standing with Tim Allen that revolved around his friend's dads '63 Spyder Convertible.

Tim even opened up the deck lid and you got a nice shot of the turbo. :-)

Jay Leno was also involved in the episode. Two stars who own Corvairs!

Rob
Chebanse, IL
LandShark

Post by LandShark »

Here's a great site for more information.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles_make-Chev ... rvair.html

Watch The Outsiders (1983) and Fear (1996) for some good late model action. Sprung (1997) is on my list for the next one.
Chris
New York

1965 Monza Convertible -- 110/PG
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The internet’s great. You can find more or less anything on it. I know car insurance is a necessity but for those of you who are genuine petrolheads and who also love watching rented or streamed movies, there’s one website you really need to get digging. It’s called the Internet Movie Cars Database, which is a bit of a mouthful, but it’s one heck of an addictive and fascinating site. Just be warned, it could result in you wiling away a few too many hours than you really should!

In a nutshell, the Internet Movie Cars Database (IMCDB) is a database search site run by movie buffs and car geeks, where you can search for the make and model of car you drive and then see if it appears in any films. A whopping 42,092 movies have been scoured and an impressive 3,914 models included in the database. The advanced search lets you not only pull up a list of films in which your (or any) car appeared fleetingly for a few seconds, but it can also find films in which the main character drove the kind of car you own.
:link: http://www.imcdb.org/

Here are even more Corvairs in movie cameos and TV...
:link: http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles.php?make= ... ge=16&l=en

Here's a sample from the IMCDB of an image I remembered of a cameo of a LM Corvair outside the airport terminal in the 1970 movie "Airport"...

The IMCDB is really amazing. It even had samples of a late 1950's - early 1960's English Ford Thames van that I remembered from my youth (My father had obtained one in Los Angeles. He had removed the four-cylinder engine and manual column-shift transmission and replaced it with a 1960's Chevrolet in-line six-cylinder engine coupled to a Powerglide transmission. (The engine compartment between the front seats had to be modified and extended rearward to clear the Chevy carburetor and automatic transmission — the Powerglide "console" stick shift was reached by the driver reaching to the right — behind the driver's seat). The extra pulling power was needed because the van was now loaded down with wood custom cabinetwork throughout, a full kitchen setup accessed through the back doors, a supplemental saddle fuel tank borrowed from a British Triumph sports car, sleeping and seating facilities for our family of four, and even a plywood panel on the roof for us to sit on while observing car races at Laguna Seca or Riverside Raceway! That custom-made camper hauled our family all over California and as far away as British Columbia and Alberta, Canada!)

A sample of a a 1958 Thames van is shown below from the IMCDB...

Mom with the English Ford Thames Camper in 1964
Mom with the English Ford Thames Camper in 1964
Brad Bodie
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Imcdb is good, but it's User entered data, so it takes a while for newer stuff to show up there.

Rob
Chebanse, IL
cwhunt

Post by cwhunt »

Just saw a quick shot of this '63 on FanthomWorks on the Velocity Channel.Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Corvair Forum mobile app
Christopher Hunt
San Diego, CA
'63 Monza Spyder 150HP Turbo