Orchids

Humor, Politics, etc...
GriffinGuru

Orchids

Post by GriffinGuru »

Hi everyone, I just got back from an orchid expo with my fiancée. The orchid world is a pretty cool family of plants and there is a whole lot of hobbyists and professionals in this genre. My fiancée has really dived into this and over the past two years she has learned a lot about culture (what they call caring for an orchid) and has started a significant collection. Yeah, I'm posting about a topic that is the hobby of the old lady, but I think it is kind of a pretty cool thing and a whole other world.

It is now at the point that we are up to about probably 20 plants of multiple varieties. I have built a larger window sill for the plants, we have "plant cabana" with growing lights, a handful of mounted hanging orchids, and now I am looking at constructing an outdoor plant table with some shade cloth for the summer.

I have learned a lot about these plants through her and going to greenhouses and plant shows. You start to get the hang of the lingo for the various types all of which go by the latin names like "phalenopsis, dendrovium, cattelya, zygophenia, oncidium etc" and are some of the types that we have. Each is different and has different colors and shapes to the flowers. It is pretty cool and I'm really glad and supportive of her really getting into this new hobby of hers.

Attached are some of the currently flowering plants, mostly phalenopsis, but with a small hanging (orange) dendrovuim, and an apple blossom orchid (ivanagara?).
Attachments
Big pink phal., orange dendrovium, and apple blossom orchid, and another small pink phal.
Big pink phal., orange dendrovium, and apple blossom orchid, and another small pink phal.
more phals. of different colors
more phals. of different colors
It keeps me humble:
64 Corvair Monza convertible called Lucy (work in progress)
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Orchids

Post by davemotohead »

My Wife love's Orchids as well and has them around the house, I only like the Evening Orchids! :guitar:
Attachments
corvair stuff 229.jpg
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

:goodpost:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
GriffinGuru

Post by GriffinGuru »

Ha! I completely forgot about that color!!
Nice!! :tu:
It keeps me humble:
64 Corvair Monza convertible called Lucy (work in progress)
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

davemotohead wrote:My Wife love's Orchids as well and has them around the house, I only like the Evening Orchids! :guitar:
That's exactly what I thought this thread was about!!

Return to “Off Topic”