Corvair Alternator Conversion or Alternator Upgrades

Need to know how? Want to show how?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Corvair Alternator Conversion or Alternator Upgrades

Post by bbodie52 »

A conversion from a generator to an alternator in 1960-1964 Corvairs is often a topic of conversation and sometimes confusion. I have located some good material on this subject, and have compiled it here. Hopefully this information will be of some help.

There are several options in the conversion:
  • Use an externally regulated 10DN Delco alternator, as seen on late model 1965-69 Corvairs.
  • Use an internally regulated 10SI or 12SI Delco alternator off a slightly later GM product.
  • A true one wire setup. Here a special self exciting regulator is installed in a 10SI style alternator. Control of the dash idiot light is lost if this is used.

The explanation shown below, along with its website link, seems to be one of the best explanations I've seen seen that describes some of the Delco alternator options available that could be fitted to a Corvair. (Keep in-mind the reverse rotation of the Corvair engine, which does not affect the alternator charging system but must be considered when fitting a cooling fan and pulley to the alternator — since the cooling fans are designed to rotate either clockwise or counter-clockwise. Proper air circulation is important for cooling an alternator).

A standard Corvair alternator output capacity:
    • Alternator P/N: 1100639 — 35 Amps
    • Alternator P/N: 1100698 — 45 Amps
Greater charging capacities might be considered if the Corvair is fitted with special high-current, high intensity headlamps, some form of electric heater, or a custom sound system with external amplifiers supporting a special speaker configuration with subwoofer(s).

An alternator with an internal electronic voltage regulator makes good use of the increased reliability of a solid-state voltage regulator to replace the 1960s vintage external electro-mechanical voltage regulator. However, a switch to a single-wire alternator instead of a 3-wire alternator cannot be justified, and is not desirable in my opinion. The reasons are clearly described below...

Alternator Conversion
Selecting a Delco SI-Series Alternator

:link: [url]http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~bob_skelly/alternator_conversion/wiring_alternator1.html[/url]
Alternator vs Generator Adaptor.jpg
To replace an EM generator with an alternator, the oil filter and generator mount adaptor must be replaced with the oil filter and alternator mount adaptor found on 1965-1969 Corvair engines. These used adaptors can usually be obtained from sources on eBay or from sources like the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania...

:link: http://www.corvairranch.com/

Suitable alternators can be sourced from normal Corvair suppliers, auto parts suppliers, eBay, local automotive junk yards, etc.

This link provides some additional information on the CCW rotation alternator fan and proper cooling for a high-capacity alternator mounted on a Corvair engine...

:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 130,612166

More information on fitting newer-design Delco alternators to Corvairs...

:link: http://www.unm.edu/~geoffj/Vair/Alternator.html
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
DAVECS1

Re: Corvair Alternator Conversion or Alternator Upgrades

Post by DAVECS1 »

This is definitely a good upgrade. Many things just work better with good power. Starter, lights, ignition, radio etc. I managed to get an old non working corvair alternator and mount for 35 dollars. Then I went to the local auto parts store and got the alternator for an 87 Chevy pickup for about 60 dollars. I put the corvair front half of the alternator on the Chevy pickup alternator and vice versa to the Corvair alternator. This gave me an internally regulated 75 amp alternator and a good core to take back to the store. I used 4 gauge GXL wire and a bus bar from an early 90s Chevy silverado, to wire it all up. Needless to say I am pretty prepared for most electrical additions.

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 Speed

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”