Heater ductwork

Need to know how? Want to show how?
MBlaster1

Heater ductwork

Post by MBlaster1 »

Hi when i bought 66 all the heater duct work was all disconnected i have ordered all the parts from Clark's, are there any tips or tricks for installing it. Thank you
Don Howard
Lake City Fl.

66 140 Convertible
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Heater ductwork

Post by azdave »

If you are talking about the flex hoses just be sure the ones down under don't rub on any moving parts like the half shafts. I personally don't use the cold air hose off of the top shroud in the engine compartment. I remove it and block the outlet with a thin metal plate so I don't have engine cooling air escaping back into the engine compartment.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
f3racer

Post by f3racer »

azdave wrote:If you are talking about the flex hoses just be sure the ones down under don't rub on any moving parts like the half shafts. I personally don't use the cold air hose off of the top shroud in the engine compartment. I remove it and block the outlet with a thin metal plate so I don't have engine cooling air escaping back into the engine compartment.
Dave,

Could you post a picture of this so i can see what you are talking about. Trying to learn as much as i can.
1968 corvair monza coupe

2010 VFR1200
09 SV650R

/G\ "Always Traveling East"

"Be water, my friend."
Bruce Lee
November 27, 1940- July 20, 1973
MBlaster1

Post by MBlaster1 »

I was talking about the duct work that runs through the tunnel and up front, how it attaches to the back seat area and up front the hoses are easy. i know to run them through the clamps that hold them off the starter and other areas.
Don Howard
Lake City Fl.

66 140 Convertible
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

f3racer wrote: Dave,
Could you post a picture of this so i can see what you are talking about. Trying to learn as much as i can.
Here's a pic I posted in CC.

This rear view of a LM engine with shrouds shows the two lower hot air outlets and the top side cold air outlet. Many people just block off the cold air outlet if they don't install a hose there. If you leave that hole open quite a lot of cooling air for the engine escapes instead of being forced down and past the heads.
Attachments
engine2_lg.jpg
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
VairLess

Post by VairLess »

azdave wrote:.

This rear view of a LM engine with shrouds shows the two lower hot air outlets and the top side cold air outlet. Many people just block off the cold air outlet if they don't install a hose there. If you leave that hole open quite a lot of cooling air for the engine escapes instead of being forced down and past the heads.

Is there benefits to blocking the cold air outlet? Why do people block it off? I'm starting the teardown of my engine soon and I'm compiling a list of "To Do's" for the build.

Cheers
Scott Farnell
Calgary, Alberta
65 Monza (Corsa Clone)
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

Yes! if you notice most dropped valve seats are #5 right under the fresh air vent, when the hose tears and they always do the cooling air needed for the heads escapes out the cool air duct,Thus That side of the head looses cooling air and runs Hot,Think of your cooling air as water in a radiator,if you have leaks you loose cooling, You want all of the cooling air to circulate thru the heads as the heads are the hottest part of the engine and need the most cooling,De-flash between the fins to un-Block the air flow,Seal all the holes in the top shroud,Use the correct sealing spark plug boots,,seal everything so all the air goes over the heads, I make block off plates for the air vent and run a air cleaner on the heater fresh air intake, I take a dinging hammer and bend all the edges of the sheet metal to seal all the gaps and use thin double sided foam strips to seal everything, my 140 going up a hill on a hot summer day will barely get to 350 head temps,Every bit of cooling air you prevent from escaping helps! :tu:
Attachments
corvair cool stuff 094.jpg
corvair cool stuff 151.jpg
corvair cool stuff 095.jpg
AA1 104.jpg
AA1 106.jpg
MBlaster1

Post by MBlaster1 »

I was talking about the other end where it goes up from tunnel into the heater/ defroster area vents. form seals and such.
Don Howard
Lake City Fl.

66 140 Convertible
price9714

Post by price9714 »

I just blocked off my cold air outlet this evening after seeing this post. A cut off Campbell's soup can bottom fits perfectly, secured with one sheet metal screw. I plan to go for a drive tomorrow evening just to if it makes any difference at all.
66 Monza
82 5.0 Mustang
94 S-10
11 Journey
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

To Dave W, Gilbert AZ :

When you save the top cover outputs "cold" air to the blower, what temp is that?

Is this "cold" relative to the left and right lower ducts that come off the exhaust?

What purpose was the upper duct intended to serve?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:chevy: The attached GM documentation was extracted from the 1965 Corvair Assembly Manual. It is the section that contains assembly guidelines and diagrams pertaining to HEATER CONTROLS AND DUCTS. The applicable section of the 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual (SECTION 15) is also attached. Hopefully this will help you.

All of the documentation and much more Corvair technical documentation (in Adobe Reader format) can be downloaded for free using the following link...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007
Attachments
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - HEATER CONTROLS AND DUCTS.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - HEATER CONTROLS AND DUCTS
(3.05 MiB) Downloaded 155 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 15 - HEATER.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 15 - HEATER
(4.38 MiB) Downloaded 89 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Charlie wrote:To Dave W, Gilbert AZ :

When you save the top cover outputs "cold" air to the blower, what temp is that?

Is this "cold" relative to the left and right lower ducts that come off the exhaust?

What purpose was the upper duct intended to serve?
The temp of the top cover outlet is nearly the same as what the engine fan sucks in (ambient). The purpose of the top duct is to supply the heater blend box with cool air to mix with the hot air coming from the lower engine ducts. When driving my Vair in below freezing weather during the fall mixed air wasn't required. So I blocked mine off to get the hottest air possible to the cabin.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
colima

Post by colima »

wow , I am new to this and you guys just saved me 30 bucks for that Hose! who do I send the check to ??

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”