instrument panel deconstruction

Need to know how? Want to show how?
Bogey

instrument panel deconstruction

Post by Bogey »

I want to take my instrument panel (metal facing) and the glove box face to get powder-coat.

My questions are:

I have my instrument panel completely removed of all parts EXCEPT the plastic backing (housing). It appears to be held in tight by the top and bottom edge.

Top Edge: Plastic backing tucks under the metal lip.
Bottom Edge: Metal tabs on bottom of face wrap over onto the plastic.

How should I remove this plastic backing from the metal face without breaking it into pieces, or damaging the face? LM dash - 65 monza convertible.

Has anyone had powdercoat done to these parts before? If so, did they come out good and go back on ok?

If pictures are needed, i can take a couple.

Thanks!
Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
1965 Monza Convertible, 110hp, PG
Owner since August 2013.
terribleted

Re: instrument panel deconstruction

Post by terribleted »

The aluminum face is simply folded over the plastic backer. The backers can be brittle with age though so care is in order. I have had excellent results leaving this unit together (at the stage of disassembly your at) and stripping and then wrinkle painting the aluminum. I strip the old finish first with auto/aircraft paint stripper (spray can is good for this), protecting the plastic. I then carefully polish and then mask any raised strips that I want to leave bright aluminum. Prime lightly with a primer recommended for aluminum and compatible with the wrinkle finish spray can I use for the final finish. Looks brand new, lasts surprisingly well, and does not risk destroying the plastic housing. You also do not have the issue of possibly marring the finish re-installing and re-bending the face onto the housing.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

the aluminum face is glued & folded over the plastic backer. once you get the tabs unfolded you need to break the glue bond also.

-Scott V.
Bogey

Post by Bogey »

Ok, sounds like i will want to strip and paint this myself leaving the backer on. I dont think i want the wrinkle paint though. Anyone have any experience or pictures of some non wrinkle paint finishes for instrument panels, and dash?
Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
1965 Monza Convertible, 110hp, PG
Owner since August 2013.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Here are some pictures of the 1965 Monza restoration by Jeff Lilly in San Antonio, Texas. He painted the Corsa instrument cluster and instrument panel in a solid color scheme. Click on the link for more pictures of this unique Monza restoration that currently resides in Austin, Texas.

:link: http://www.jefflilly.com/gallery/classi ... vair-kool/

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Scott V wrote:the aluminum face is glued & folded over the plastic backer. once you get the tabs unfolded you need to break the glue bond also.

-Scott V.

I never took one off that the glue was still holding:)

Wrinkle black looks factory if done right BTW.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”