CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS

Need to know how? Want to show how?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS

Unread post by bbodie52 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Corvair Auto Electric Schematic Diagrams.jpg
The Corvair shop manuals divide the engine compartment, interior, and trunk wiring diagrams into separate sections that are displayed on separate pages. Sometimes it is easier to analyze a circuit if you can trace it end-to-end on the same page. Each schematic is displayed below first as an embedded image that can be enlarged by left-clicking it with your mouse for better viewing. If the cursor appears with a plus (+), the image can be clicked again to further enlarge it. The second image in each group is the same image, but displayed as a slightly larger "preview"...

Wiring Circuit Color Code.jpg

Left-click the image to enlarge it for better viewing or "Pan & Scan"...
1965 Corvair Corsa Full Schematic (Rev. D).jpg
1965 Corvair Corsa Full Schematic

1965 Corvair Monza Full Schematic (Rev. D).jpg
1965 Corvair Monza Full Schematic

There were several diagram errors in the 1965 shop manual that I have corrected. These errors were in the wiring of the left-rear tail light, the wiring of the tachometer sensing wire and the thermistor wire for the Corsa instrument panel connection, and a couple of wires on the Monza/500 instrument panel 12-pin multi-connector that were incorrectly positioned (instrument panel lamps and the high beam indicator).

Some of the labeling has been modified or enhanced to reflect "Corsa Only", Powerglide Only", "Manual Transmission Only", etc.

These two diagrams attempt to show the differences between the Corsa and the Monza (primarily the instrument clusters). Because of the difficulty in editing these images, I did not completely remove some of the "Corsa only" wiring between the engine and the instrument panel harness, but you will be able to see that the Monza connector simply omits the wiring that is unique to the Corsa, by leaving some of the pins in the 12-pin multi-connector empty.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

ImageImage

1964 Combined Passenger Compartment & Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram.jpg
1964 Combined Passenger Compartment & Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram

In the schematic diagram below I have combined the engine compartment, interior and trunk wiring diagrams for the 1964 Corvair passenger car into a single diagram.

1964 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic.jpg
1964 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic

In the schematic diagram below I have combined the engine compartment, interior and trunk wiring diagrams for the 1964 Corvair passenger car into a single diagram. I have also modified the wiring diagram to remove the generator and generator voltage regulator and replace them with the 1965-69 alternator and external alternator voltage regulator.

I used existing generator wiring to connect the alternator voltage regulator to the alternator and labeled the terminals. I added the wire labeled 10 R to the alternator connection and added a junction point to connect it to the existing wire labeled 10 R (routed from the battery positive terminal to the ten pin multi-connector). A voltage regulator voltage sensing wire labeled 20 R was also added from voltage regulator connector 3 to the existing positive battery wire 10 R (requires a splice connection). The existing wire labeled 20 BRN was retained and is connected to the voltage regulator connector 4. (This is the GEN/FAN warning light).

1964 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic (Alternator Mod).jpg
1964 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic (Alternator Mod)

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

ImageImage

1963 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic.jpg
1963 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic

1963 Passenger Car Combined Schematic (Alternator Mod).jpg
1963 Passenger Car Combined Schematic (Alternator Mod)

1962 Combined Passenger Compartment & Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram.jpg
1962 Combined Passenger Compartment & Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram

In the schematic diagram below I have combined the engine compartment and interior wiring diagrams for the 1962 Corvair passenger car into a single diagram. I have also modified the wiring diagram to remove the generator and generator voltage regulator and replace them with the 1965-69 alternator and external alternator voltage regulator.

I used existing generator wiring to connect the alternator voltage regulator to the alternator and labeled the terminals. I added the wire labeled 10 R to the alternator connection and added a junction point to connect it to the existing wire labeled 10 B (routed from the battery positive terminal to the eight pin multi-connector). A voltage regulator voltage sensing wire labeled 20 R was also added from voltage regulator connector 3 to the existing positive battery wire 10 B (requires a splice connection). The existing wire labeled 20 BRN was retained and is connected to the voltage regulator connector 4. (This is the GEN/FAN warning light).

Left-click the schematic diagram below to enlarge for better viewing…
1962 Combined Passenger Compartment & Engine Compartment (Alternator Mod).jpg
1962 Combined Passenger Compartment & Engine Compartment (Alternator Mod)

Left-click the schematic diagram below to enlarge for better viewing…
1962 Passenger Car Combined Schematic.jpg
1962 Passenger Car Combined Schematic

1962 Passenger Car Combined Schematic (Alternator Mod).jpg
1962 Passenger Car Combined Schematic (Alternator Mod)

1962 Corvair 95 Full Schematic (Corrected).jpg
1962 Corvair 95 Full Schematic (Corrected)

:chevy:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

acarlson

Re: Corvair Combined Wiring Schematics

Unread post by acarlson » Sun May 07, 2017 3:51 pm

Thanks Brad - this is very helpful (I did this myself a while ago but your images are better quality) :tu:

Alec
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS

Unread post by bbodie52 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:41 am

I have updated and added additional schematic diagrams to this thread to cover Corvair model years from 1962 to 1965. I have also included modified schematics for 1962, 1963, and 1964 that show the wiring changes needed for the installation of a standard Corvair alternator with external voltage regulator in place of the original generator-based charging system.

1966 Corsa and 1966-1969 Corvair Monza and Corvair 500 wiring diagrams are very similar to the 1965 diagrams. The primary difference in later model years was in the color code used on the wires. I do not have access to 1966 and later supplements to use as a basis for actual drawings targeting those years. Also, I have not done a 1961 diagram yet, because the 1961 diagrams in the basic shop manual were poorly done and do not follow the standards utilized by GM technical writers and engineers in 1962 and later schematic diagrams. It will take me longer to analyze the 1961 wiring diagrams to determine exactly how they differ from the 1962 Corvair schematics. I also don't have access to a 1960 shop manual that I could use as a basis for 1960 wiring schematic.

If you discover any faults or errors in the diagrams that I have prepared, or if you have any suggestions for improvements that I could make, please send me a PM with your recommendations and suggestions. I hope these modified schematic diagrams that I have prepared will prove useful to Corvair owners as they work with the wiring in their Corvairs.

Below are the instructions for converting an early model Corvair that is equipped with a generator to a late-model Corvair alternator charging system…

CORSA Tech Guide, Volume 1

Alternator-Generator Swap

By Bob Helt, Cactus Corvair Club

There are several good reasons to consider replacing that generator with an alternator. The first and primary reason is charging ability. Corvair generators came in 30 and 35 amp capacity, but only develop this output at relatively high speeds. Charging ability at idle at and relatively low speeds was nil. The alternator, however, while rated at 37 Amps (47 Amps with factory air conditioning) produces is charging current at much lower speeds than the generator. This increased charging ability at low speeds will keep your battery charged layer in heavy traffic conditions, or moving slowly while using lights and heater.

Other advantages of using an alternator to replace or generator include: less weight; easier removal for servicing; less likely to need servicing; and fairly easy to upgrade to even higher outputs. You can upgrade your Corvair alternator 255 or 63 amp capacity by installing the rotor and stator windings from a Chevrolet in your Corvair housing, and using the appropriate regulator.

The parts you will need to complete the installation can best be obtained from the local junkyard. You may have to buy some of the parts new, but a little searching for use parts should pay off. You will need the following:
  1. Corvair alternator and end brace, plus 3 mounting bolts.
  2. Regulator. A used regulator will probably work okay but, if you desire to buy a new one, consider the fact that the correct regulator from a local parts house will probably cost less than Chevrolet's version.
  3. Rubber shock mounts/nuts for mounting the regulator. Order new from Corvair vendor or from Chevrolet, GM part number 3876130. Quantity of three. The old ones will not be reusable.
  4. Regulator mounting screws. Three are required. You may be able to use the old screws. If not, order from Corvair vendor or Chevrolet, GM part number 3856129.
  5. Alternator/oil filter adapter housing. This is the part that the alternator bolts to.
  6. A gasket for the above housing. Order from Chevrolet vendor (GM part number 3849157 has been discontinued).
  7. The four terminal connector that plugs into the regulator. Although this connector can be purchased new, it is recommended that one be clipped from an existing junk car wiring harness. When you cut the wires, leave about 4 inches of wire on each lead with the connector. This will allow you to easily splice the wires when installing it in your early model.
  8. The two terminal connector that plugs into the alternator. Again cut the wires about 4 inches long with the connector. Note the little tab that has to be depressed for removal from the alternator. Make sure it's there, or you're guaranteed trouble later when it falls out of the alternator. These connectors are also available for most auto stores or parts houses.
  9. The single terminal log that bolts to the alternator. A new terminal is suggested, although the old one can be used. Cut the wire about 4 inches long.
  10. About 6 feet of 10gauge wire. Your choice of colors.

Make the following mechanical changes:

1. Disconnect the battery positive terminal.
  2. Disconnect the wires from the generator and regulator.
  3. Remove the generator and regulator.
  4. Remove the idler pulley, oil filter, fuel pump and oil pressure sending switch from the generator/oil filter adapter housing.
  5. Remove the generator/oil filter adapter housing.
  6. Clean the gasket surfaces and install the alternator/oil filter adapter housing, using the new gasket.
  7. Reinstall the items removed in step four.
  8. Mount the alternator. Note that the battery ground strap bolts to the cylinder head at the alternator brace.
  9. Drill new holes and mount the regulator using the shock mount nuts. Be sure the regulator is grounded.

Make the following wiring changes. Refer to the attached diagrams showing the way the generator was wired and the way the alternator is to be wired.
  1. The existing 20gauge dark blue wire (20 GA DBL) that formally went to the field connection of the generator should now be spliced to the dark blue wire on the two terminal connector that plugs into the alternator. This goes to the "F" terminal which is marked on the alternator if you look closely. It's the right-hand terminal looking at the back of the alternator.
  2. The existing 14gauge brown (14 GA BR) wire that formally went to the Armature terminal of the generator should now be spliced to the black/white wire on the two terminal connector that plugs into the alternator. This goes to the "R" terminal which is also marked on the alternator. If the left-hand terminal looking at the back of the alternator.
  3. Identify the wires that were removed from the "B" terminal of the old regulator. There should be two 10gauge red or black (10 GA R or B) wires. These wires are connected to the love that formally went to the "B" terminal of the old regulator. To this lug, spliced two additional wires. One will be the 20gauge red wire on terminal 3 of the four terminal connector that goes on the new regulator. The second wire will be due, using the 10gauge wire noted in the parts list. Splice one and of the 10gauge wire to the log previously mentioned. Route the wire along the harness path down to the alternator.
  4. Now there is only one remaining wire to be connected. The "other" Brown wire. Splice this to terminal 2 of the four-terminal connector on the regulator.
  5. Tape all splices. Reconnect the battery.
  6. Be sure all connectors are tight and secure before starting the engine. Never operate the alternator with an open circuit, or the voltage developed may burn out the light bulbs.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”