Corvair Gas Heater to LP conversion.

Need to know how? Want to show how?
lostboy

Corvair Gas Heater to LP conversion.

Post by lostboy »

I successfully converted and bench tested a LP conversion. I tried with a regulator at 1psi, but it didn't work well. It got warm, but not enough for heat transfer. Without the regulator it works well. Slightly cooler than the gasoline which is expected since there is less energy in LP. Now to install it into the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s4KeEIW0vE
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
cnicol

Re: Corvair Gas Heater to LP conversion.

Post by cnicol »

Just remember to add large vents to the trunk and wherever you have the tank. LP is heavy so bottom vent. No vent=high probability of big boom
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

cnicol wrote:Just remember to add large vents to the trunk and wherever you have the tank. LP is heavy so bottom vent. No vent=high probability of big boom
lol don't want any of that. I was thinking of wiring up a 12v computer fan to vent the trunk area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

lostboy wrote:I successfully converted and bench tested a LP conversion.
I get grief for using propane refrigerant in my A/C system. Hope they go easy on you.

::-): ::-): ::-):
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

azdave wrote:
lostboy wrote:I successfully converted and bench tested a LP conversion.
I get grief for using propane refrigerant in my A/C system. Hope they go easy on you.

::-): ::-): ::-):

Funny, in my last A/c seminar the presenter was talking about how propane is probably one of the best refrigerants there is.

-Steve
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Propane will always be "too dangerous" as long as powerful companies like DuPont have lobbiests in Washington DC. I do all of my own A/C work but for those not so inclined, there aren't many options.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Make sure your computer fan is brushless. You still want to have a vent at the bottom to drain pooled gas.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

cnicol wrote:Make sure your computer fan is brushless. You still want to have a vent at the bottom to drain pooled gas.
You think leaving the plug out is enough?

-Steve
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

azdave wrote:Propane will always be "too dangerous" as long as powerful companies like DuPont have lobbiests in Washington DC. I do all of my own A/C work but for those not so inclined, there aren't many options.
I don't understand that anyway... it seems less dangerous than gasoline.

-Steve
b74eqcm

Post by b74eqcm »

While I applaud your ingenuity, and I'll leave the safety concerns aside, I wonder if you have an appreciation for how much propane that heater will use. If you use the small bottles like in your video, I'll bet it doesn't last more than a morning commute or two. It's gonna be expensive. Don't forget that the gas heater brought the overall gas mileage of a new Corvair down to 16 mpg or so.

jim
Jim Thomas
Bethel, VT
63 Monza Coupe
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

b74eqcm wrote:While I applaud your ingenuity, and I'll leave the safety concerns aside, I wonder if you have an appreciation for how much propane that heater will use. If you use the small bottles like in your video, I'll bet it doesn't last more than a morning commute or two. It's gonna be expensive. Don't forget that the gas heater brought the overall gas mileage of a new Corvair down to 16 mpg or so.

jim
I've thought the same about the fuel usage. I do like that i can throttle it though, get some warm air and not just super burning hot. I've also thought about triggering a transistorized ignition with the points so as to make them nearly last forever. Between that and the cleanliness of propane the heater will most likely never need tuning up.

There are two major things I do want to do. First, if possible it would be nice to have an electric valve for the tank. Similar to those found on nitrous systems. Second, a remotely (also electronic) adjustable regulator. This project so far was to see if it would work at all, now I have to fine tune it.

-Steve
toytron

Post by toytron »

Azdave,

You need to share that propane a/c info with the group. Does it need special seals? Special oil? Sizing of the condenser. Super heat value etc.
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

toytron wrote:Azdave,

You need to share that propane a/c info with the group. Does it need special seals? Special oil? Sizing of the condenser. Super heat value etc.
I don't want to hijack the thread further. Search ES12A or HC-12 and you'll find plenty of info. I've been running it for over 10 years in multiple R12 vehicles as a drop-in substitute with the same hoses, seals and oil.
http://autorefrigerants.com/hydrocarbon-refrigerants
https://www.es-refrigerants.com/?site=dom
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

azdave wrote:
toytron wrote:Azdave,

I don't want to hijack the thread further. Search ES12A or HC-12 and you'll find plenty of info. I've been running it for over 10 years in multiple R12 vehicles as a drop-in substitute with the same hoses, seals and oil.
http://autorefrigerants.com/hydrocarbon-refrigerants
https://www.es-refrigerants.com/?site=dom
Feel free to hijack Dave. It's fine with me. It's still climate control related anyhow.

-Steve
KiltedPhoenix

Post by KiltedPhoenix »

Having done this I assume you know more about these gas heaters than I do. I need to pick your brain, (kinda ASAP) on these devices. I have one, it was working, but I got stupid. I'm now trying to solve a problem. If you are on FB please contact me over on COG or email me directly please.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

KiltedPhoenix wrote:Having done this I assume you know more about these gas heaters than I do. I need to pick your brain, (kinda ASAP) on these devices. I have one, it was working, but I got stupid. I'm now trying to solve a problem. If you are on FB please contact me over on COG or email me directly please.

I don't know a whole bunch about them. I haven't driven mine in the winter so far when its cold because I haven't perfected my setup. What exactly did you do?
-Steve

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”