Large bore, equal length exhaust.

Need to know how? Want to show how?
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

My 61 sounds pretty good with my Dynomax muffler but the muffler is 2 1/4 so I had to adapt it. Normally I would say this is fine to leave alone, but I am an exhaust guy, it's what I do. I hate to not have the one thing I do be old and beat. I ordered up a stick of 1 3/4 and I had some 1 1/2 laying around. I'm going to make a loop on the right side (like I've seen elsewhere, also popular in the Subaru community) and then a 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 collector into my powder coated muffler of which most will burn off. I'm not looking for a different sound so much as to open up the piping a bit. Plus, the pipes that are on it now are original and looking near their end.

-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
cad-kid

Re: Large bore, equal length exhaust.

Post by cad-kid »

Sounds like a neat project!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Well it's coming along... If the rear unloads it's going to hit though.

ImageImage
-Steve
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

ImageImageImageImage

I shamelessly got the hole saw and went right through that sheet metal, which I might add is a repair panel, as is most of the right side of the rear. I still don't know what happened there. Anyway it's a driver through and through. There is not restoration here, so who cares?

That being said, wow. This made a large difference. It breathes much better. Sounds a lot better too. It seems happier to rev.
-Steve
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Good job! Maybe you can post a YouTube video of it running/revving. That loop looks pretty cool, it's got to be better than the factory Y pipe (or should I say T pipe).

I'm a big exhaust kinda guy. I usually keep my local muffler shop guy well paid. I like trying different setups, different mufflers from time to time.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

flat6_musik wrote:Good job! Maybe you can post a YouTube video of it running/revving. That loop looks pretty cool, it's got to be better than the factory Y pipe (or should I say T pipe).

I'm a big exhaust kinda guy. I usually keep my local muffler shop guy well paid. I like trying different setups, different mufflers from time to time.
I want to! I have to get my wife or someone to film it in action. Revving it at a stand still doesn't really do it any justice. Maybe today I'll convince her to do some videography. It has a really nice low rumble to it at lower rpms and the noise really tapers off when it gets higher in the rpm range. It's really nice because around town it's got a bit of sound but 70mph on the highway isn't annoying.
-Steve
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Nice work! I've had several 2 into 1 "big single" cross-overs made to create single-exhaust 140s. None were even close to the quality of your work. Good job! :clap:
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

cnicol wrote:Nice work! I've had several 2 into 1 "big single" cross-overs made to create single-exhaust 140s. None were even close to the quality of your work. Good job! :clap:
Thanks man! I wish I had more time and could produce a run of pipes.
-Steve
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Here's a view showing that it tucks up real nice. The lowest point is still under the transaxle.
-Steve
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Nice design work! :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”