I've been avoiding my water leak.... What would you do?

Need to know how? Want to show how?
lostboy

I've been avoiding my water leak.... What would you do?

Post by lostboy »

Today is the first day that I really left the car out in a rain storm and I can see my leaks clearly now. I should have known anyway because the inner windshield weatherstrip has water stains. I knew my rain gutter under the hood was leaking but I repaired that and sealed my frunk. SO for the most part its all along the bottom of the drivers side and also a tad bit in the corner. The top is dry. It collects there and drips on the steering column which leaves a puddle near the drivers feet. I'm not super worried about pulling the glass to install a new weatherstrip, but I am worried about what I'll find. I don't want to paint the car and I don't want to be digging a hole in sand... So is my option to treat it like a motorcycle by trying not to keep it in the rain and only getting caught occasionally? I tried the pump gun and butyl sealer although I suppose I could inject more.
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
Wagon Master

Re: I've been avoiding my water leak.... What would you do?

Post by Wagon Master »

As their installation method is completely different, it would really help to know what year car you're working on.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Wow, I did overlook that didn't I? haha sorry. It is a 61 Sedan.
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

If it's like my car was, the metal strip below the window was completely rotten and had to be cut out and replaced. Not a terribly difficult job to do, but seeing as how I don't do bodywork I farmed that out to someone qualified.
Click it!

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”