EM floors. There isn't much left.

Need to know how? Want to show how?
lostboy

EM floors. There isn't much left.

Post by lostboy »

Can people show me some pictures of their improvised floors? I had to cut mine way past where the new panels cover. I think I'm going to have to just piece it together with sheet metal. My main concert is that I don't have a bead roller nor know how to use one, so I don't know how strong my floors are going to be with only flat sheet metal and the repair pans. ImageImage
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
lostboy

Re: EM floors. There isn't much left.

Post by lostboy »

Well the good news is that for the most part, my replacement panels fit ok, and I made the rest out of some thick steal from the sides of an old a/c machine.

The bad news, is that like a complete asshat, I welded everything together in a tank and shorts. Well, 5 hours in a close quarters radiation booth hurts the next day.

ImageImageImage

It's ok, laugh at my expense, I deserve it.
-Steve
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Yikes!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
guru_1071

Post by guru_1071 »

where you wearing a ladies bra whilst you where welding.... :rolling:

you car also looks to be missing the 'middle' seat riser that the front seats sit on, it looks as if someone has neatly cut it away and left the reinforcers behind.

have a look at my project thread for a terrible floor!!!!!
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Bench seat!!!!!!!
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
TexasUK
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TexasUK »

At least it isn't arc-eye. I used to hate the itching.

And I was once burning some lugs off with a torch while leaning over the side of a ship, and I hadn't thought or noticed where all of the spray was going. Next thing I know I've got a guy beating me up from behind. Took a few seconds to realise he was beating my overalls out that were on fire. I thought the sun felt warm on my back...
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

lol that's what my wife said, looks like I was wearing a bikini. No it was a regular fruit of the loom tank. I was the one who neatly cut it because there was only about 1/8 of it left. I was planning on making a brace out of some square stock. Or leave it alone. It seems strong. Yes, bench seat. Absolutely. The pieces of floor I made up are significantly thicker than the replacement pans. I don't really care much what it looks like as long as it's strong.
-Steve
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

guru_1071 wrote:where you wearing a ladies bra whilst you where welding.... :rolling:

you car also looks to be missing the 'middle' seat riser that the front seats sit on, it looks as if someone has neatly cut it away and left the reinforcers behind.

have a look at my project thread for a terrible floor!!!!!

Yes. I see your project that's a lot worse than mine. My rear floors were the real problem. I dropped in fronts on top of the originals just for added support after I stripped them with acid and then weld through primered them. I am a novice at metal work. I deal with exhaust fabrication but I don't have anything for sheet steel. I'm fairly happy with the result considering what I have to work with. If someone sold "full pans" like they do for vws I would consider rhino lining after completion.
-Steve
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Well, first real drive. I made it to work. The speedo is making some bad noises and it isn't quite working correctly. Everything else is great and put a huge smile on my face. Now I can get it on a lift and finish up seam sealing the hard to reach spots.

ImageImage
-Steve
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Congrats on the drive! :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Thanks! The way home was even more fun. It rained a little and so I tested out its wet handling. Not much you can do with 80hp except cruise.
-Steve
French 63 corvair

Post by French 63 corvair »

Wow lostboy, I' really love this color... I'll soon have the same work to do on my 63, surely forming some new floors by myself... Yours look great and neat... Great work !

Sent from my E6653 using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”