LM roof rail weatherstrips - not as hard as you might think

Need to know how? Want to show how?
cad-kid

LM roof rail weatherstrips - not as hard as you might think

Post by cad-kid »

Since I purchased the weatherstrip kit from Clark's (C10452) - I was not looking forward to replacing the roof rail weatherstips. It turns out it was pretty darn easy.

Here's two photos showing how rotten mine were.
DSC02778.JPG
DSC02779.JPG
To start- first remove the old weatherstrip. I used a tool (trim remover) to get under the piece.
DSC02792.JPG
On my 65 2 door the factory used very little weatherstrip adhesive (just a thin line). The body manual shows sealer should be put in the outer edge of the channel but mine was more toward the center. What material that was left in the channel was easy to remove with a screwdriver.
DSC02791.JPG
Here's the old vs new weathestrip
DSC02788.JPG
DSC02782.JPG
Start at the front edge where there are two plastic pins (provided with the strip). The set one edge in and pinch the strip until the other edge get's into position.
DSC02794.JPG
I did about 6 inches at a time.
DSC02784.JPG
You will end up with some excess at the back of the car but it can hang inside the body opening or you can trim it.
DSC02787.JPG
Go back over your work by gently pulling back the inside edge of the weatherstrip and making sure it is seated properly.
DSC02795.JPG
The driver's side windows never sealed very good on my car and required lots of tweaking of the quarter window both forward/backward & moving it in at the bottom of the glass. There are several adjustments and they interact with each other so some experimenting is needed.

I haven't driven it yet as I'm waiting for the passenger door weatherstrip adhesive to properly dry. But I'm sure it will be quieter and less drafty on those cool mornings. But I do love driving with all the windows down on a warm summer day
:burnout:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
steve57

Re: LM roof rail weatherstrips - not as hard as you might think

Post by steve57 »

Looks good. Nice pics.
Steve
Bakersfield,CA
1969 monza coupe
110, 4speed
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Thanks Steve. I'm happy that box is checked.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Here's an update.
Today I tweaked the LH side door adjustments for the vent frame, window and rear quarter window.

It shouldn't be too big of a surprise to me but when I pulled the clay off the vent frame adjustment nut it was not even attached :eek: The driver's side was that way also.
DSC02797.JPG
DSC02796.JPG
And just as the driver's side vent frame was pressing too hard into the weatherstrip - so was the passenger side. Adjustment time!
DSC02798.JPG
The rear quarter window only required an in/out adjustment as the front to back relationship was good :tu:

After wrapping the interior back up I took it for a test drive. It was a fairly windy day today and I am super impressed at how much better things are sealed up :not worthy: While I do have a whistle on the passenger side, the car is still way better than it was. And all the extra time farting with the rear quarter windows getting them just right was worth it :cool:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
rnd5553

Post by rnd5553 »

Jeremy; I to have a 66 couple where the quarter window's seal is not flush to the drivers door glass. Where exactly are the adjustment bolts to make the need adjustments found? I have new weather stripping and the door glass looks like it's not going into the channel properly. Thanks for your help.

Rich
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Hi Rich, there are several adjustments located behind the front door trim panel & trim panels on the side of the rear seat. You really need to look at the fisher body manual (buy it or search for a free Pdf). Several things to realize - the windows are adjustable forward, backward & top in/out. The front vent wing plays a part in the top in/out adjustment. On my car the windows don't push up into the weatherstripping, I realized if they did the door would be very hard to close. I also noticed the curvature between the quarter glass and door glass isn't exactly same. Also something to think about, these cars had sealing issues from day 1 on the LM models but if you take your time you can get them pretty good.

I started with the vent window adjustment and worked my way back. Now that I am done my driver's door closes much easier because the vent wing frame isn't tipping in as far. Perhaps next year I will do the adjustments again as my windows should tip in a bit farther.

Good luck on your adjustments.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”