Alternator Conversion (alternate adaptation?)

Need to know how? Want to show how?
lostboy

Alternator Conversion (alternate adaptation?)

Post by lostboy »

See what i did there? Seriously, has anyone ever made adapter brackets to mount the alternator to the old generator mount? I know its easy enough to change the mount, but why must you? Back when I had a 91 Mustang Notch (street race car) I mounted a newer style 200A Ford alternator by making aluminum brackets. I have access to a very good machinist and I'm sure he could mill me a nice solid aluminum bracket at minimal cost to extend the height of the old one. Or, since I play with metal all day anyway, I'm sure I could make something out of steel. It just seems like we're changing a bracket because its "easy" but what if you don't want to? Anyway, if no one has done this, I will try and if I succeed I could probably have multiple brackets produced if anyone is interested.
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
66vairguy

Re: Alternator Conversion (alternate adaptation?)

Post by 66vairguy »

It has been less expensive to change the housing versus getting a precision part machined.

Don't underestimate the importance of belt alignment. A few folks have experimented to determine why the fan belt won't stay on, or wears out fast. As an example the top cover bearing tolerance from the top of the engine is ONLY +/- 1/8".

I've read on the forums about folks having issues trying to make the alternator fit on the generator mount.

That said the alternator mounting housing is getting scarce so maybe the time has arrived for an adapter that works. Of course it comes down to cost. As long as a used alternator mount housings is less costly than a machined adapter - well.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Here's an update that came swiftly this morning. My local armature shop, who did a wonderful job on my starter, told me he has a front housing that will work. I was skeptical. He sent it down and indeed the holes line up perfectly with the generator. He said he's going to make me an internally excited alternator out of the front plate. Even the fan is right... This guy is an old timer and I've used him for years at my shop. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Well the test fit went well. It is a squeeze but it does fit. I will have to file down the back of the bracket (to make it plumb) the alternator will mount behind the bracket not in front like the generator did.

-Steve
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Here is is all mounted up. It may need a bit of shimming because the way the belt sits concerns me. The alternator is now rated at 94amps and it is self exciting. I have a volt gauge that I'm hooking up just in case. Electric heat, here I come.Image

-Steve
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

I'm not keen on "self energizing" alternators as you have to rev the engine to about 1,200RPM or the alternator won't "energize". Also if wired correctly to work with the warning lamp (and who doesn't want to know when the fan belt comes off in a Corvair) you don't need "self energized". The warning lamp circuit energizes a normal 10SI alternator during startup.

Keep in mind the 10SI maximum design output was 85 Amps and that was considered the maximum for the cooling design so 94Amps is pushing it. GM went to the 12SI for higher amp outputs and it had a different fan and housing that can't be adapted to use on the Corvair.

Other than that - good luck.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Well the shop that put it together is an old time armature service. He said he's familiar with the setup. He didn't say anything about having to rev it to energize and said even at a low idle it will charge well. The warning lamp is of little concern because I have a voltage gauge. If it drops from 14~ to under 12v something is going on.

-Steve

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”