GENERATOR HELP

Need to know how? Want to show how?
KILLERCORVAIR

GENERATOR HELP

Post by KILLERCORVAIR »

Yinz guys,
My 64 Monza coupe with fac a/c started making a scratching sound . Thought something was in the turkey roaster, then I thought blower,or idler bearing,fan belt rubbing on fan belt guide.No its the fan on the generator rubbing the housing. I can take a screwdriver and move the whole shaft assembly in and out about 3/4 ".Is there a snap ring or something inside that broke? I looked at diagram on clarks site and I don't see anything.
Thanks,
Jim Weppelman
Pittsburgh
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: GENERATOR HELP

Post by bbodie52 »

I have not owned a generator-equipped Corvair since 1975, so I don't have any first-hand experience with rebuilding generators. I have studied the 1961 Corvair Shop Manual but I cannot determine how the armature is fixed in position to prevent movement in the direction you indicated. I have attached a copy of the shop manual for your reference, in case you don't have a copy.

I suppose that the only way for you to determine the cause of this failure would be for you to dismantle and inspect the generator components. Alternately, you may simply choose to remove and replace the failed generator with a remanufactured generator, or this might be a good time to consider replacing and upgrading the charging system with an alternator. If you choose the latter, the oil filter/generator adapter needs to be replaced with a late model Corvair component (see picture below). An alternator can be used that has an integrated voltage regulator, if desired, which would eliminate the need for a replacement external alternator voltage regulator.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=84A
Attachments
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 8 - Electrical Systems.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 8 - Electrical Systems
(3.28 MiB) Downloaded 17 times
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 8 - Electrical Systems.pdf
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 8 - Electrical Systems
(1.95 MiB) Downloaded 19 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”