Whats in the back?

All Models and Years
Lunar_Camel

Whats in the back?

Post by Lunar_Camel »

I have finally gotten my Corvair fixed to the point of working on the interior. Everything is pretty easy to find except for one part: What goes in the space behind the rear seat? Since mine (a 1966 Monza) has only the seats for the interior, everything else is blank, just metal. Unfortunately, no one seems to photograph that area.

I have heard that there was a cardboard box, similar to the glove box 'box' that went there and held the rear speakers or was just blank. But I can't find anything through all the usual sources (Clark's, forums, etc).

Anybody have any ideas so its not just a blank hole? Pix would help so I can see how it looks.
Sadly, my 1966 Corvair Monza in Los Angeles is no more.
:sad5:
Hellbilly

Re: Whats in the back?

Post by Hellbilly »

Ive just stripped all of this out of my 65 Coupe, so I can tell you that there is a thin yet stiff card sheet which covers the whole area, and folds over at the top to cover the parcel shelf.

The parcel shelf was covered in thick insullation, as was the vertical section underneather the rear window; the card was layed ontop of the insullation.

However, there was no insullation behind the seat, so the card screwed to the latches which hold the seat upright, and to a metal bar which crosses between the latches.

Its all pretty crude, and mine was basically disintergrating.

Im sure that a similar effect could be achieved with a modern insullation material, a thin ply board or similar; then either paint it or cover it in upholstery carpet?

Theres plenty of scope for installing speakers, and you could also make them hidden if youre making up a custom parcel shelf?

Could post up some pics of the area before I ripped it all out, if you like?
' Success Consists of Going From Failure to Failure, Without Loss of Enthusiasm'

Winston Churchill
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

A few pictures with the seat both up and down from my mostly original 65 Corsa coupe.

Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Lunar_Camel

Post by Lunar_Camel »

Well, now I know its called a "package area".

I'm not sure about just having a cardboard box sitting in the back. Are there other alternatives?

Would be nice to see what others have done with their's.
Sadly, my 1966 Corvair Monza in Los Angeles is no more.
:sad5:
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I like speaker enclosures myself with insulation in any open space. I prefer to put my rear deck speakers into a properly sized enclosed box or boxes under the panel fabricated to fill the space below the rear glass. Enclosures make better sound than simply mounting the spears in a panel fit to the area, I have done it both ways. There is space for 8-10" woofers in this area depending on the speaker chosen.

This photo is a fiberglass over 3/4" MDF box and shelf. It uses very long large magnet JL audio piece that almost fit at an angle required vertical mounting for proper clearance (9/16 of an inch) behind the magnet. There are some low clearance or small box 10's that will fit at an angle like the 6 1/2 " round co-axials in this photo.
Copy of interior (2).jpg
A simple carpeted package deck with speakers boxed:
040.JPG
An old simple carpeted package deck that I re-covered and replaced the insulation under it. It was cut Styrofoam sheets and some carpet and jute that mice had been living in. Insulated with a layer of Raamat, and some good old R-13 fiberglass insulation. These speakers were not boxed in. Sounded pretty good anyway.
012.JPG
022.JPG
023.JPG
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”