Phoenix Metro Area Corvair Owners

azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Corvair Club Meeting May 4th

Post by azdave »

FYI...Cactus Corvair Club meeting tonight. Last regular meeting until the summer is over.

7 PM at Thorobred Chevrolet in Chandler.

More info
http://www.cactuscorvairclub.com/meetings.html
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
jftl

Re: Phoenix Metro Area Corvair Owners

Post by jftl »

Wish me and Joe'd could go. I already have plans for tonight, and I don't think Joe'd is ready to roll that far yet.

-Kevin
1965 Covair Corsa w/ 4 barrel conversion intake, Holley 390 CFM, and custom cherry bomb exhaust. "Joe'd"!
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

jftl wrote:Wish me and Joe'd could go. I already have plans for tonight, and I don't think Joe'd is ready to roll that far yet.

-Kevin
Had a nice meeting last night with homemade cupcakes for treats and plans to go to a car show on Friday the 13th.

The highlight of the evening for me was after the meeting helping to change a fuel pump on a 64 Spyder that would not start. Another member had a few tools and a spare and we had the car running again in no time. Thanks to a few helpful guys at the Chevy dealer we were given a lighted bay to use and a few tools.

See the website for the Friday the 13th meet info. It's near Baseline and Ellsworth. I may or may not bring a Corvair but I'll go. I won't get there until 5 or so probably. Have you been to that location? I guess it's a regular Friday night meet.
http://www.cactuscorvairclub.com/
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
jftl

Post by jftl »

Dave,

Haven't been there yet, but it's just up the street from my house. I usually don't get near home until after 6, so it would likely be pushing 7 by the time I got there. Think anyone would still be there?

Thanks
-Kevin
1965 Covair Corsa w/ 4 barrel conversion intake, Holley 390 CFM, and custom cherry bomb exhaust. "Joe'd"!
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

I will stay as long as I know you are coming out. I think a few others may still be there too.

PM me if you don't have my cell number and maybe we'll see you a week from tomorrow?

I "might" be in the V8 next week. Short drive tests around the neighborhood will start after lunch today!
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
jftl

Post by jftl »

Woo Hoo on the V8! I'll shoot you a PM here soon and let you know. I know my wife has some family coming in on that friday, so that COULD interfere if I need to get them from the airport.

-Kevin
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Cruise-in Friday May 13th Mesa AZ

Post by azdave »

jftl wrote:Woo Hoo on the V8! I'll shoot you a PM here soon and let you know. I know my wife has some family coming in on that friday, so that COULD interfere if I need to get them from the airport.

-Kevin
This gathering is still on the schedule so anyone in the Phoenix area who wants to kill a Friday evening and come hang out with lots of cool cars and a few Corvairs please come on by. Some Corvair people may be there as early as 4 PM. I'm not sure when I will arrive (in the V8 I hope) but I should make it there by 5 or 6 driving one of my white LM Vairs. I will stay at least until 7-8 PM as long as there are other cars and spectators.

This show is a weekly Friday night car show gathering. SE corner of Baseline Rd and Ellsworth in Mesa. 85209

MAP
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=bas ... 27788&z=16
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
jftl

Post by jftl »

Looks like I'm not going to be able to attend. Have had some pretty major personal issues come up that are going to prevent.

Have fun without me =)

Kevin
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

This Friday from 6-10 PM there is a cruise-in at the SW corner of Baseline and Gilbert Rd. in the east valley. It will be held in the parking lot behind McDonalds.
This is the regular site of the weely Hot Wheels Friday Night drag races and collectors swap.

This will be a special night as they are holding a benefit car show to raise funds in order to buy a headstone for 19-year old Garrett Rider who was killed while drving to Phoenix for cancer treatments.

The event is very casual and no entry fee is required but donations are greatly appreciated. Please see the info below for more details. The Cactus Corvair Club has a few members attending and I will be there with my V8 Vair. There are many restaurants nearby so you can come park your car and then go walk to an eatery and wait for the sun to go down.

Flyer
http://www.rcaz.com/hotwheelscruise-in.pdf

Craig's List Announcement
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/eve/2377577041.html

Google map
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... near=&z=16

Hope to see you there!
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
Vair-8

Post by Vair-8 »

Wish I could go. Son graduation is that Friday. Hopefully will make the next one.
Charles Troutman Sr.
Charles Troutman Jr.
Glendale, AZ

66 Vair-8
68 Vair-8
65 Convertible
Corvair Society Of America Member "Corsa"
V-8 Registry Member
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Cruise-in tonight

Post by azdave »

I know it's short notice but I'll be at the Hot Wheels Drag Races and Swap Meet tonight on the SW corner of Gilbert and Baseline Rd with the V8 Corvair.

If you're nearby stop in and say hi. I'll be there from about 7-9.

Dave
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Val Vista Lakes Evening Car Hop -June 11th

Post by azdave »

If you're free tonight there is a new cruise-in starting up at Greenfield Rd and Baseline Rd.

4-9 PM free entry with raffle and door prizes. Sponsored by local merchants.

I'll be there in the white 66.

http://www.desertcruisers.com/index.php ... fo&id=5831
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Two New Cruise-in Reports Metro PHoenix East Valley Area

Post by azdave »

Freddy's Frozen Custard Cruise-in

Friday night I went to a new show at Gilbert Rd and Baseline Rd (SE corner) at Freddy's Frozen Custard. This meet was small and informal. Just show up and relax. No registration, raffle prizes, DJs, etc. They plan to do a 2nd Friday night cruise each month. It was nice to get a frozen custard and hang out and watch the cars come and go while sitting on the patio. This was maybe 20-30 cars.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 18&iwloc=A

Val Vista Lake Hot Rod Show

The Val Vista Lakes meet was a nice show with lots of door prizes considering there was no entry fee. I was the onl;y Corvair in attendance out of probably 75-80 cars. Local business were friendy to show attendees too.
Just Brakes and Discount Tire were there handing out freebies and contributing nice door prizes for automotive work. They had a DJ palying tunes and even a hot dog vendor if you wanted a snack. The lot was well lighted with bright white lights (not those orangish sodium lamps) so the vehicle colors looked true after dark. Lots of families in attendance with kids and such. I don't know if they plan this as a weekly or monthly event but I'll go again if they do another.

Behind the Jack in the Box restaurant, SE corner of Baseline and Greenfield.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... izona&z=17

Sure is lonely being the only Corvair at these events... :(
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
Corvair480

Post by Corvair480 »

Dave,

I hope to be out there with you in the future in a corvair so that you will have another car with you at the spots.
jftl

Post by jftl »

Joe'd and I are back from the dead! Hoping to "re-get" him road worthy...again :banghead: so that we can start rolling his rusty, crusty self to some of these meets. I assume things will start getting geared up as the weather changes? ::-):

-Kevin
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

jftl wrote:Joe'd and I are back from the dead! Hoping to "re-get" him road worthy...again :banghead: so that we can start rolling his rusty, crusty self to some of these meets. I assume things will start getting geared up as the weather changes? ::-):

-Kevin
The first meeting after the summer just occurred on Wed. The meeting s are always on the first Wednesday of the month.

Next activity is our big Oct 1st "Corvair Anniversary" Show at Thorobred Chevrolet. 9AM start time.

http://www.cactuscorvairclub.com
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Return to “Corvairs in Central Arizona”