Bullet Center Caps

All Models and Years
DROPPEDATBIRTH

Bullet Center Caps

Post by DROPPEDATBIRTH »

Hi everyone long time no talk,

I am looking for a set of bullet center caps for my factory 14 inch wheels.

Autoexer states that "Center Hole Diameter - The hole in the center of the wheel that the hub fits through. Earlies are 2 5/8", lates are 2.8". I don't have a micrometer but with a tape measure and my crooked eye, I am pretty sure it is 2.8 I have searched and searched for a 2.8 inch push through cap but I can not find one.

This is what I want. and I want to pair it with bullet lug nuts I am not sure about trim rings yet, one step at a time.

I have this picture of John Jackson van and I believe the wheels in this picture are stock.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I also know I have to get a deep set as the for clearance of the hubs but I have not had a chance to measure how far they stick out as the van is not at my house right now.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

Thank you,

Dustin
Dustin
Sewickley, PA
"63 Corvair Panel"
DROPPEDATBIRTH

Re: Bullet Center Caps

Post by DROPPEDATBIRTH »

I may even be interested in a smoothie center cap like this, it not really what I want but I would settle for it if it would clear the hub.

:ty:
Dustin
Sewickley, PA
"63 Corvair Panel"
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

this link wll take you to Summit Racing where Spider Caps can be bought. They are what is on John's Corvair van.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-5013-f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Note that your red rim is setup to use caps which go over the center section. The three nubs are what hold the cap in place. The silver rim you show is a smooth type rim. Any caps or rings that you might use will need to affix to the inside of the center section.

Either rim will work with the spider cap. be sure to order the correct size, 5 on 4 3/4
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

just in case, here is the link to the Chevy bolt pattern spider caps......................

http://www.wheelvintiques.com/index.php ... chevy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DROPPEDATBIRTH

Post by DROPPEDATBIRTH »

Thanks for the reply's. I couldn't tell if Jack was using spider caps. I used to have a cheap set on my 65 bug, they were a nightmare.

I like how the wheel vintiques are a two piece design, it makes much more sense and the ones I had. They were one piece with friction fit lug nut bullets, they always flew off. I had to fill the insides with RTV and slide them on to keep them in place. I saw a similar spider on HubCap Mikes's website on a suggestion of another forum member.

I decided to give another option a shot. I am going to go to my buddies machine shop and have him remove .2 inches from the inner hub. I found some 2.95 OD bullet caps. I have a buddy that did this with his Merc and it worked well. I understand the factory wheels were basically Hub Centric however I don't see this as any different then using aftermarket wheels with a larger center hub.

I'll post pictures of the finished results.
Dustin
Sewickley, PA
"63 Corvair Panel"
DROPPEDATBIRTH

Post by DROPPEDATBIRTH »

Well I decided to make it work. The back wheels required nothing however the fronts required a "little" trimming with a die grinder and metal bit. The center hole inner diameter on a stock 14 inch wheel is 2.8 inches, the smallest bullet center cap I could find was 2.95.

Dustin
Sewickley, PA
"63 Corvair Panel"

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”