Rampside Door Closure Mechanism

All Models and Years
Vairamp

Rampside Door Closure Mechanism

Post by Vairamp »

I have a ‘62 Rampside that’s being restored. Both doors do not close properly. By that I mean the doors aren’t latching tight to the body. Everything else is in alignment. I believe the Latch & Striker should be replaced. 1000’s of time over + 50 years, those parts must be worn out.

Is there a cross-reference to another car or truck so I can buy new replacements?

Can these parts be refurbished?

Is there newer hardware that can be substituted easily?

THANKS

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
ossieoz

Re: Rampside Door Closure Mechanism

Post by ossieoz »

http://californiacorvairparts.com/index ... er=product

1961 Greenbrier, 1962 Rampside and 1964 Monza cab.
joe moore

Post by joe moore »

Vairamp wrote:I have a ‘62 Rampside that’s being restored. Both doors do not close properly. By that I mean the doors aren’t latching tight to the body. Everything else is in alignment. I believe the Latch & Striker should be replaced. 1000’s of time over + 50 years, those parts must be worn out.

Is there a cross-reference to another car or truck so I can buy new replacements?

THANKS

Dorothy had the same problem give jeff a call at corvair ranch he can get you what you need joe

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

1962 rampside #3957
Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

joe moore wrote:
Vairamp wrote:I have a ‘62 Rampside that’s being restored. Both doors do not close properly. By that I mean the doors aren’t latching tight to the body. Everything else is in alignment. I believe the Latch & Striker should be replaced. 1000’s of time over + 50 years, those parts must be worn out.

THANKS

Dorothy had the same problem give jeff a call at corvair ranch he can get you what you need joe

I’m trying to get new parts or something else that’s readily available. A more modern mechanism, with a “safer” latching method, that’d be a simple bolt in installation is what I’m ideally looking for.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

There will not be any newer more modern bolt in. Maybe you can find some New Old Stock parts. Otherwise the strikers are available as listed above and the latches would be to fix what you have or find serviceable used parts.

Are the doors adjusted properly? What do you mean by the doors are not latching tight to the body. The latch mechanism is a double catch. First catch will hold the door closed but it will be loosely closed in most cases. If the door moving in and out when latched is what you mean the first thing to do is to verify is that the latch is fully latching in the fully latched position (second catch of the latch) If it is not then either the latch assembly has a problem or more likely the strikers are adjusted to far in such that the second catch can not operate. I would first operate the latch manually ( I usually use a large punch or tire iron) to close the latch fully. Observe that the latch catches part way and then again as the inner most part of the latch lever gets even with the latch body. Release the latch using the door handle (you may have to help it unlatch by pulling the latch lever out manually while operating the door handle). If it latches fully and releases after then the likely issue is faulty striker alignment. Try to see if the latch is fully or 1/2 latching when you close the door. If it is fully latching and the door is loose in the opening then the striker needs to move inward. If it is not fully latching (first catch only) then the striker needs to move outwards until the fully latched position can be obtained.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

I guess there’s no cross reference part then.
It’s in a shop a few hours away from me. I was very surprised that it was “adjusted” when I went to see what progress was made on the project. I had to suggest that all the mechanisms be swapped out.

All I can tell you is that when you close the door, no matter how hard or easy you close it, the door never fully closes to the body. I guess that’d be the first catch.

Can the latch be repaired? He didn’t suggest that as an option. I guess because he already mounted the custom Clark’s door panels!

THANKS

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Maybe, maybe not. Test them manually with the door open like I said above. You can actuate the latches with them mounted in the doors and see if they attain a fully latched position. If they do, the door strikers should be readjusted to try to remedy the issue.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

dave t

Post by dave t »

Sometimes, the latch return spring breaks inside the door. If the latch does not open when manually testing as discussed above, the spring may be broken. Replacement springs used to be made but are discontinued. You may need to get another latch with a good spring. Also, mine were crusted with old dry grease. A gasoline bath and new white lithium grease fixed mine.
Try all the things discussed here and see what you get. Let us know what you find.

Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

I’ve written the shop with the suggestions.
THANKS!

Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

The shop says it’s not the latching mechanisms. The cab is now to air tight? It’s the new weatherstripping that’s causing the doors not to latch all the way.
Is there anyway to verify that it’s the rubber?

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Doors should close fully even with new weatherstrips IF they are adjusted properly and the latch mechanism is functioning properly. They may normally be somewhat hard to close with brand new weatherstrips, requiring a good solid close or light slam to close all the way. This tightness should not persist for more than a week or so as the weatherstrips compress and form to their space.

It is possible that the cab is very air tight which can cause the last door closed to close poorly. Either door should close fine with the other door open unless there is a problem other than the cab is too tight. Can maybe work around a tight cab by opening a kick panel vent before exiting.

If the doors are very difficult to close and the latch is functioning then adjustment of some sort is needed. Adjustment could mean moving the door out in the opening so it does not run out of space before it is closed. There could be an issue with the flange that the weatherstrip mounts too (I have had to bend areas along this flange for more clearance or less clearance in the past), all it takes sometimes is one good tight spot to make the door not close properly. It is possible that the shop is trying to obtain a better door edge and gap alignment than the truck had from the factory. Doors should close fully flush or at least nearly flush. I have run across trucks that the best option was to just adjust the doors out a little bit and let them be not quite perfectly flush (think like 1/16 of an inch max). It often does not take much change in a adjustment to make a significant difference in how the door closes.

Vairamp

Post by Vairamp »

I’ve had Clark’s door panels installed on the Rampside. Maybe that is the cause?
IMG_5230.JPG

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Those do sit into or very close to the space where the weatherstrip hits the doors. Are they mounted perfectly centered in the doors? From this photo it seems there may be more door showing in front of the panels than at the rear. The weatherstrips should really not contact the door trim panel, but, should seal to the door as they did before the panel was installed. From the photo these look as if the weatherstrip could be trying to seal against the panel instead of the door at least along the bottom and the rear. Remove a door trim panel and see how that door closes. If it closes normally it may be possible to move the trim panel a little (likely need to drill some new mounting holes) to allow the door to operate properly. If the door does not operate properly you a right back to fixing whatever is wrong with the door clearance to the weatherstrip via adjustment fixing any fat or out of place body repair etc. A good way to see exactly where these trim panels should mount is to remove the panel close the door and with the door close from the inside apply a line of masking tape to the inside of the door along the very edge where the weatherstrip contacts the door. (likely easiest to remove the seat for access to do this , but, you may be able to do it with the seat in place) After applying the tape open the door and remount the trim panel with a few screws. Observe where the panel extends past the tape. Any areas where it extends past the tape would indicate a spot where the panel may interfere with door operation. With the tape as a guide it would be apparent where the panel needs to be located so as to not get under the weatherstrip.

joe moore

Post by joe moore »

Vairamp wrote:The shop says it’s not the latching mechanisms. The cab is now to air tight? It’s the new weatherstripping that’s causing the doors not to latch all the way.
Is there anyway to verify that it’s the rubber?

Hi just a thought ! At the latch you have the strike than the spacer than two small tooth plates that keep the strike secure after you titan the bolts due you have all of these !!! and yes the doors due close hard after new rubbers thanks joe

1962 rampside #3957
SteveInMarietta

Post by SteveInMarietta »

Granted, a deluxe Rampside never had the door panels, but that should not be the problem as long as the add-on panels are positioned correctly and other issues are OK. Door alignment, latch positioning, mis-positioning of the panels, stiffer weatherstrip, and panels that have slightly too much padding all can contribute to the failure to latch correctly. I've never seen Clarks repro panels, but if too generous with the padding, the panels will be somewhat thicker. The type of weatherstripping used could contribute to the problem. I know that the Clarks repro weatherstrip is pretty good; if you have installed a stiffer weatherstrip, it may not adequately compress. I had a similar problem with the passenger side front door of my 61 GB, and fussed for hours to get it to finally latch adequately. Now several years later, it latches easier as the weatherstrip has accommodated better.
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Last edited by hrm2k on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”