New corvair fan in belgium

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Sinope

New corvair fan in belgium

Post by Sinope »

Hey guys, I'm new here, I bought a 64 corvair monza coupe(110hp) last week.
Looking forward to find some help overhere and more information.

About me i'm 28, and i'm an electrician(for gas stations,shops,industrial buildings,..) I live near Bruges(Historical city). I grew up with parents/family with an Opel(GM) history. I had a corsa b(94), corsa c(2006)& an astra H convertible(09). Since i've had my first car, I tuned my cars(body&interior).
Last year I bought a 47 vauxhall wyvern(which was too rusty but a small price). And sold it a few months later, to find something new. I rather wanted something '40's, but my misses wanted 70's. So the corvair became the solution :chevy: .

About engine's, i'm learning every day.(without no experience i've made my wyvern run again after lot's of years)
About interior work, my misses is able to do some nice work.
I have experience with polyester(just for details&audio, not for covering up!!)

A little more about the corvair.
I bought it from the person who shipped it to Belgium recently(he still has a convertible with turbo-engine)
Currently it's driving well, just when i'm driving a constant speed of 50mph of 70mph, it's a little shaking... Not really the car but its a feeling like a little going forward and backwards, and the speedometer go's a little up and down then(any person with an idea? Could it be not enough gas?).
It's current paint is pearl white and it looks like it was green before the painting(but originally ermine white)
Before the shipping it was located in california or nevada...
Future plans: respray for european weathers, putting air under it, some interior renewall, smaller wheels(because these wheels scrape in the wheelarches)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by Sinope on Fri May 15, 2015 4:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
64 monza coupe 110hp
cad-kid

Re: New corvair fan in belgium

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :clap: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum! I would guess that Corvairs are fairly rare in Belgium... am I right? I did have an opportunity to visit your country when I was stationed with the U.S. Air Force near Kaiserslautern, Germany... but that was many years ago in 1983. At that time I had two 1965 Corvair Corsas with me in Germany — a Corsa coupe and a Corsa convertible.

Your 1964 Monza appears to be a solid car. Since it originated in California or Nevada it may have never been exposed to road salt, since the winters are generally so mild in those states. You mentioned "respray for European weathers". What do you expect the Corvair to be exposed to in Belgium? Is corrosive road salt used during winters in Belgium? If so, I would suggest minimizing the use of the Corvair during winter months. Doing so will help you to maintain its good condition.
Sinope wrote:...Looking forward to find some help over here and more information...
There are a few CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters in Europe. This one is in France...
ImageImageChevrolet Corvair Club
93 rue d ’Angerville
91410 LES GRANGES LE ROI
( 01.64.59.96.99 (dom)
( 01.53.44.26.58 ( h.b )

:link: http://corvairfrance.free.fr/
:link: http://www.corvair1.com/vive-la-france-euro-vairs

There is also a Corvair Club in the Netherlands...

:link: http://www.corvair.nl/Corvair_Club_Nede ... elkom.html

Leon Janssen, Limbricht
Telefoon (046) 451 63 23
E-mail: devoorzitter@corvair.nl

Ruud Keers, Amsterdam
Telefoon (020) 470 65 80
E-mail: depenningmeester@corvair.nl

And a Swiss Corvair Club...
:link: http://www.corvair.ch/

SWISS CORVAIR CLUB
Postfach/Case postale
3700 Spiez
info@corvair.ch
Sinope wrote:...smaller wheels(because these wheels scrape in the wheelarches)...
Many Early Model (EM = 1960-1964) Corvair owners manage quite well with 14" or 15" wheels. 13" tire sizes are becoming more difficult to find. The few tire distributors who carry 13" tires for cars usually focus in supplying these special limited production tire sizes to collectors who wish to keep everything as close to original as possible. The prices are a little high, and the range of tire types to choose from is limited. More choices are available in larger wheel sizes. You may find the following website article useful in selecting correct tire sizes for your 1964 Corvair...

:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html

According to that website, here are some tire sizes that should fit your Corvair with 14" or 15" wheels...
  • P185/70R14 (all)
  • P195/70R14 (all, good replacement for 1960 - 65 6.50-13)
  • P205/70R14 (all, good replacement for 1966 - 69 7.00-13)
  • P205/55R15 (all)
  • P195/60R15 (all, good replacement for 1960 - 65 6.50-13)
  • P195/65R15 (all, good replacement for 1966 - 69 7.00-13)
  • P205/60R15 (all, good replacement for 1966 - 69 7.00-13)
  • P205/55R16 (a little tall, may rub on an early, fits lates)
You mentioned interior renewal. Clark's Corvair Parts offers a wide range of carpeting, upholstery, and interior trim items in excellent quality. Their online catalog may be useful to you...

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/pages.c ... quicklinks

A Clark's video - Making Corvair Upholstery...
...gives you an ideal of the work and effort that makes Clark's upholstery quality possible. Imagine not having this service available!

Clark's Corvair Parts - Upholstery Tour

Published on Jan 21, 2013
Tour Clarks Corvair Parts Upholstery shop and see how upholstery, door panels, top boots &
gaskets are produced.

Several other videos are available that can provide you with an informative tour of Clark's Corvair Parts...

:link: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=6004
Sinope wrote:...Currently it's driving well, just when i'm driving a constant speed of 50mph of 70mph, it's a little shaking...(any person with an idea? Could it be not enough gas?)...
A little more detailed information and description might help us to provide useful comments. Does the shaking seem to be a vibration that comes from the suspension, or is the engine running rough at those speeds? High speed vibration can come from front suspension oscillation — perhaps from loose steering components — or rear axle problems — such a s bad universal joints, wheel bearing problems, etc. Vibration from the engine can come from the clutch (does your car have an automatic or manual transmission?) or perhaps a bad harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley). If the engine itself is running rough at highway speeds, several causes could be suggested. Can you describe the symptoms in more detail?

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for your Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Sinope

Post by Sinope »

Thx ;) as you say overhere they are very rare, and most of them are 65's. Even in the US Army s.h.a.p.e base(in mons, french belgium), I only saw mustangs&camaro's(when i was there for my work) ;) I just know that there is a corvair club in the netherlands.
About the paint part, it was not nicely done in the US, there are spots where paint is getting off. And where i see the green paint underneath it. About the weather conditions, the winters are getting hotter here. But still if they expect it to be freezing overnight, they get the salt trucks out... Normally it will not be used in the winter, but for safety i will put a coating underneath(even to protect it from dirt). Most american cars that get here, get this coating (because of the different climat).

Even in the technical control for oldtimer this monday, they said it was looking very good. Only the way of lowering the rear, was not the right way(they used socket wrenches as 'spacer' for the leafspring)

When i get at home, i will add some more information to my thread ;)
64 monza coupe 110hp
rondo
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by rondo »

WElcome to the forum.
1958 Chevy Impala
1966 Corsa Conv.
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Welcome to the forum!! :welcome: :guitar:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I received a Private Message from "Sinope" regarding some fan belt issues. I answered the PM, but thought that the problem he ran into might occur with others on the Forum, so I wanted to post this information here also...
bbodie52 wrote:It appears to me that you have the incorrect rear motor mount bracket. 1960-1963 Corvairs used a stamped steel/riveted crankshaft pulley. In 1964 the engine displacement increased to 164 cubic inches, and the new crankshaft required a harmonic balancer, which is thicker. You have a 1964 engine with a harmonic balancer, but someone substituted a 1960-1963 rear motor mount, which does not give you the clearance to remove or install a fan belt! Please note that you will need a 1964 rear motor mount bracket only. 1965 and later engines utilized a different rear mount with two attaching holes, instead of one (used in 1960-1964). Clark's also lists a different skid plate for 1964 and later engines. I don't know which skid plate you have, or if it is somehow incorrect for the 1964 motor mount bracket. I have listed a couple of alternate sources for a replacement rear motor mount, since Clark's Corvair Parts appears to be out of them. California Corvair Parts appears to have the correct parts in stock, but you would have to check with them about overseas shipping to Europe. Alternately, you could contact the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. They should be able to supply what you will need.

If you decide to order the bracket, and possibly the skid plate, I would suggest purchasing a replacement belt and some spare belts at the same time, and possibly from the same source. If everything you need is placed into one shipment, you might save something in shipping costs.

1960-1963 Motor Mount Bracket

1964 Motor Mount Bracket (Single Hole)

1964 Motor Mount Bracket (Single Hole)

1965-1969 Motor Mount Bracket (Double Hole)

Skid Plate

Part number CU1792UZ: USED REAR ENGINE SKID PLATE 64-69

Weight: 2 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 12(49),U,3(49)
Price: $ 9.00

Part number CU126: USED REAR MOTOR MOUNT BRACKET 64 CAR/* *64-65 VAN & 61-63 CARS WITH A/C

Notice: Sorry - This part CU126 is currently out of stock.

Weight: 3 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 12(48),U,3(48A)
Price: $ 29.00

California Corvairs has these special EM brackets for A/C and LM engines in EM cars, but they do indicate they are in limited supply.

:link: http://www.californiacorvairparts.com/p ... oduct=1799
California Corvairs wrote:Good used rear engine mount bracket for 1964 Corvairs including Spyders and convertibles
Fits 1964-65 Corvair trucks and vans including Rampsides and Greenbriers.

Fit 1962-63 Corvairs with air conditioning.

Also needed when installing a late engine into an 1960-64 Corvair or 1961-63 Corvair truck or van.
$36.00 tax incl.
Availability: 6 items in stock
Warning: Last items in stock!

Clark's lists them, but out of stock.

You may be able to order one from the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, too. They have a large inventory of used Corvair parts.

:link: http://www.corvairranch.com

:link: http://www.californiacorvairparts.com/p ... roduct=616
1964-69 SKID PLATE

$24.00 tax incl.
Reference : Part No. CC01105
Availability: 11 items in stock

Used engine skid plate for 1964-69 Corvairs including Spyders, Corsas and convertibles
Part No. CC01105

The correct Gates belt is part no: 6597 http://navigates.gates.com/AddedValue.a ... enger+Cars

Clark's Corvair Parts sells good replacement belts, and with 40+ years of providing excellent Corvair parts support I would defer to their choice recommendations. It is always wise to keep one or two spare belts in the trunk, along with tools and a shop manual. When driving a decades-old car, an emergency spares and tools kit, a cell phone, and perhaps AAA roadside assistance membership is always a good idea. I never leave home without it — in any of my cars.

ImageImage
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=14

:link: http://www.californiacorvairparts.com/p ... roduct=128

New high quality fan belt for all 1960-69 Corvair engines
Correct length, size and thickness
Part No. CC01019B

$10.00 tax incl.
Reference : CC01019B
Availability: 33 items in stock
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Sinope

Post by Sinope »

it could be helpfull in the future for other people indeed! :) another thanks brad ;)
64 monza coupe 110hp
Freejax

Post by Freejax »

Good luck on the build, I don't know much about EM's but it looks like you have a great car to start with. Keep us all posted on the progress, we all appreciate it.
Thanks from Canada.
Happy Building all!
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

Welcome Sinope.
I was in your country a couple years ago. It would have been a thrill seeing your Corvair if you had owned it back then.
We are thinking of heading over there again in a year or two. If that comes to pass, I will be happy to deliver to you any
small parts that will fit in our travel luggage, if we have the opportunity to meet up somewhere.

Corventure Dave

Return to “Introductions”