dutch corvairfan

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
dutchair

dutch corvairfan

Post by dutchair »

hello forummers,

I am a new corvair fan, i am living in holland and after a few aircooled Volkswagens i'm now looking for a aircooled american car.
I'm considering of buying a 65 corvair with a powerglide 2 speed automatic gearbox but i was wondering what the gas mileage is of a corvair, and are the engines suitable for unleaded fuel ? fuel with lead is no longer available in the Netherlands.

Can somebody give me a answer to my questions ?

Thank you,

I hope to give more information about the car I'm planning to buy

(greetings from a dutch corvair fan)
cad-kid

Re: dutch corvairfan

Post by cad-kid »

:welcomeparty: to the forum! Yes the valves and seats on all Corvairs are hardened and safe to use with unleaded fuels. Mileage will vary greatly with engine and driving conditions. Rough estimate is 14-18 miles per gallon average. Some get more :eek:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome: :wave: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

It is great to hear from yet another European Corvair enthusiast!

The Corvair will have no problem with unleaded fuel. In fact, with hardened valves and valve seats in its design (to help it to deal with somewhat higher valve train heat because of its air cooled nature) it was one of the first American cars that was fully prepared to operate using unleaded fuel. (Most pre-1971 engines were equipped with "soft" valve seats and leaded gasoline acted as a lubricant to prevent excessive wear of the valve seats. Using these engines with unleaded fuel in high-speed/high-load situations could result in some valve seat wear).

Some Corvair engines run fine on Regular or on a Mid-Grade pump gasoline, while others don't run on anything lower than a Premium Grade fuel with the highest octane rating available. The air-cooled Corvair does tend to run with a fairly high combustion chamber temperature, so they are sensitive to the load they are carrying, outside ambient temperatures, and other factors like long uphill grades — all of which can increase engine heat and combustion chamber temperatures which could start the engine "pinging" (an indicator of DETONATION in the combustion chambers, which can damage an engine). A Corvair might run fine on Regular gas in the cold winter, but might require an upgrade to Premium on a long trip with four passengers in the hot summer, especially when climbing mountain roads.

22-24 mpg fuel mileage cruising on the highway is somewhat normal fuel mileage expected on a Corvair. City driving will usually produce numbers in the 18 mpg range. The worst mileage was usually seen in the turbocharged Corvairs, which also demanded Premium high octane fuel. The Powerglide transmission, with power losses that are somewhat characteristic of automatic transmissions because of the fluid coupling (torque converter), internal pumps, etc. might get slightly lower gas mileage, but the differences in gas mileage between an automatic transmission and a manual transmission car are not really too significant.

The Corvair 2-speed Powerglide transmission is generally considered to be a tough, long-lasting design that performs well, as long as the transmission fluid is maintained at the proper level. Low fluid levels can cause low internal pressure, shifting problems, and internal clutch slippage that can result in permanent transmission damage. Fluid level that is too high can cause the rotating planetary gear set to be spinning in a bath of transmission fluid, which can result in foaming and aeration which can also cause transmission problems. Transmission fluid on the dipstick should be clean and red in color. If it is dark and brown in color, or has a burned odor, internal slipping and burning of the bands and clutches is indicated, which may necessitate a transmission overhaul.

The Corvair is a unibody construction. Few body components are bolt-on, so most body repairs require some cutting and welding. Rust, corrosion and body rot are a serious concern, so any Corvair you are considering should be carefully inspected for signs of rust in the trunk bottom, on the interior floor pan, in the battery area in the engine compartment, at the base of the windshield, and of course in the wheel wells and door frame areas. Winter driving in snow-covered areas coupled with the use of road salt can greatly aggravate this problem.

The 1965 Corsa, Monza, and economy 500 models all shared the same body, chassis, suspension, brakes, and weight. Variables were found in the decorative trim, upholstery, engine, differential and transmission selection.

The majority of 1965 Corvairs are equipped with 110 hp 2-carburetor 164 cubic inch (2.7L) engines. Some have 4-carburetor engines rated at 140 hp. These engines have dual exhaust and larger valves in the heads for better breathing and to produced the higher horsepower rating. Both the 110 hp and the 140 hp engines share the same camshaft, and have a 9.25:1 compression ratio. The turbocharged 180 hp engine was found only in 1965-66 Corsa models, and always with a manual transmission. The economy 95 hp engine had the same carburetor and exhaust configuration as the 110 hp engine, but had a lower 8.25:1 compression ratio and a low performance camshaft. I have attached a copy of the 1965 GM Heritage Center Specifications for the Corvair.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your prospective Corvair purchase that you are considering, and your goals for your Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.
Attachments
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 23 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
dutchair

Post by dutchair »

thanks cad-kid and bbodie52 for your reply :tu:

The car that i'm looking for is a 65 Monza, imported from las vegas usa in 2000 so it's already 15 years now in Holland.
The is is restored 2 years ago but I don't know if it's done well. I haven't seen the car IRL, only from a picture on the internet.
I have to look first to see if the car is restored in a good way (not to much bondo and not to much welding on critical places).
The "problem"is that I haven't got to much time to look for the car, I only have time in the weekend (I also have to work what takes a lot of free time ::-): . the car is located on the other side of the country.
As soon as I know more, I'll will post it on this forum.
By the way, my technical skills are not that well, I only have experience with aircooled volkswagen engines, but that is a lot different than a 6 cilinder dual carburateur engine.
So the car has to be technical in a very good condition. The seller told me that the car runs very well. (of course, I would also say that if I sell a car)
like I said, I have to see the car first, and hear the motor running.

Sorry for my bad englisch writing, I only had 3 years englisch on high school and that is 28 years ago ::-):
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Good luck on your search. Your English is very good, keep on posting :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Your experience in working on a Volkswagen and in dealing with an air cooled aluminum engine would be a distinct advantage. The extra cylinders and extra carburetors do not add a great deal of difficulty. The mechanical aspects of working on a Corvair are relatively easy to master. I taught myself to overhaul a Corvair engine and a Corvair Powerglide transmission when I was only 16 years old. I had only a shop manual to guide me, but you would have the assistance of many members of the Corvair Forum to help you to learn. In 1969 I could not have dreamed of having so much help available from such resources as are now found on the Internet!

The greatest challenges facing European Corvair owners would be the cost and availability when obtaining parts from American parts suppliers. Parts availability for Corvairs from suppliers like Clark's Corvair Parts in Massachusetts is excellent, but the time delays, import taxes, and shipping costs always seem to be a big problem for Corvair owners in England, Germany, Italy, France, the Scandinavian countries and of course for you in the Netherlands. The other big obstacle that Corvair owners face throughout the world is rust and body decay.

I look forward to reading about and seeing details of the Corvair you are considering. Hopefully comments and advice from Corvair Forum members will be a great help to you as you evaluate this 1965 Monza for possible purchase.
Brad Bodie
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Hey there, welcome! Let us know how your corvair search goes and if you pick up that vegas vair. :welcomeparty:
dutchair

Post by dutchair »

hi bodie52

your absolutly right about that,

I already tought about that, the car that i'm planning to see has to be in a very good condition because getting parts for a corvair is a huge problem.
The corvair has never been sold in holland, so all the parts have to come from the u.s.a.
And like you said, the shipping cost are very high, not only shipping but also taxes.
There is a corvair club in holland but those members getting their parts also from the u.s.a .
most of the duth corvair members getting the parts from (like you wrote) clarks corvair parts. Maybe in a groupbuy we can get a discount if we buy parts in one time.
( but i'm not sure if this possible)

I called the seller today, and he wants to send me some pics of the car, so I hope to know\see more about the car tommorow.

gr, dutchair
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

dutchair wrote:hi bodie52

your absolutly right about that,

I already tought about that, the car that i'm planning to see has to be in a very good condition because getting parts for a corvair is a huge problem.
The corvair has never been sold in holland, so all the parts have to come from the u.s.a.

gr, dutchair
Correction, corvair are sold for sure in the netherlands (holland) even made a "european version of the corvair (different road rules and safety) GM factory was in antwerpen / belgium where they were assembled.

Sales we ok, but the new price was high compare to for exampe a VW beetle (us dollar = dutch gulden) and the transportation of the parts to antwerpen and from there to the dealer.

So there are corvairs build in europe and amnd sold new to the netherlands

-------------
ff in dutch :doh:

En ook hier welkom op het forum, maar ik denk dat je de meeste antwoorden al wel weet van facebook, kan je iig vertellen dat clarks geen korting geeft, hoogstens samen verzenden als je het in 1 order plaats. verder zijn er 2e hands onderdelen in omloop in nederland, en zo her en der wat nieuwe onderedelen (ik bestel ook wel eens iets dubbel of hou wat over wat ik toch niet nodig had) verwacht niet dat je als je een onderdeel nu nodig hebt dat je het morgen hebt, tenzij als je expres zending doet, maar dat loopt weer flink op in euro's. Denk dat een gedeelte ook de lol is om de onderdelen te vinden / zoeken en het aan te praat te houden, om iets aparts te rijden.

Succes en horen het wel verders

:welcome2:
firstgencamarojunkie

Post by firstgencamarojunkie »

Hello! I'm also originally from the Netherlands (born Twellinga, Friesland) but since moved to Southern California / the weather is so much better! Just today I was able to start my '65 Corvair Corsa Turbo after a rebuild. Wish you the best with your "Corvair-tje"! Keep us posted!
dutchair

Post by dutchair »

hello forummers,

It's been a while that i posted something, but it's now definatly.

I am since yesterday a proud owner of a 1968 4 doors corvair originaly from sweden
The car has never been restored, so everything is 100% original.
There is of course some work on the car, the paint is in a bad shape and there is some rust on the car but nothing serious.

Now i have to think what i'm gonna do with the car, a complete restore (what's gonnma cost a lot of money and time) or leave it as it is.
A original "patina"car with's never been weldeld and no (bondo?) on it, and just ride and enjoy it. :think:

(i think i'll go for the last option but suggestions are welcome)

for so far my post, i wanted to post some pictures but i have to figger out first how to do this :dontknow:

greetings from a dutch corvair fan

fixed it :tu:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: :coolphotos: :woo: Congratulations to the new Corvair owner!!! :thumbsupwink:

I have a positive attitude for the late model sedan. They were in production from 1965-1967, with 29,298 500 sedans produced and 52,811 Monza sedans produced in the same period — for a total of 82,109 late model Corvair sedans produced. In 1965, about 4% of the Corvairs sold had factory air conditioning. No Corvairs with 140 hp engines received air conditioning in that year — only 95 and 110 hp engines were offered with the A/C option in 1965. In 1966, the A/C was redesigned so it could be fitted to a 140 hp engine. About 4.6% of 1966 Corvairs were fitted with air conditioning. A little more than 5% of 1967 Corvairs received A/C.

Wikipedia wrote:Corvair Production plants

All locations are cars only, except as noted:
  • Willow Run, Michigan 1960-69
  • Kansas City, Missouri 1960-61
  • Oakland, California 1960-63
  • Van Nuys, California 1963, 1965 & 1966
  • St Louis, Missouri 1961-65 (FCs)
  • Flint, Michigan 1961-64 (FCs)
  • Oshawa, Ontario, Canada 1960-66
  • Mexico City, Mexico 1961-63 (CKD)
  • Caracas, Venezuela 1960-62 (CKD)
  • Bienne, Switzerland 1960-67 (CKD)
  • Antwerp, Belgium 1960-67 (CKD)
  • Copenhagen, Denmark 1960-61
  • Port Elizabeth, South Africa 1960-62 (All 1960 CKD models)
Note that Willow Run, Kansas City, Oakland, and Van Nuys were Chevrolet assembly plants with adjacent Fisher Body plants.
St Louis and Flint were Chevrolet truck plants, although Chevy had full-size car plants in both cities and in St Louis the plants were adjacent.
Oshawa was operated solely by GM of Canada Ltd.
The CKD plants were operated by GM Overseas Operations (GMOO).
CKD – Complete Knock Down. A CKD vehicle means a vehicle is assembled locally using all the major parts, components, and technology imported from the country of its origin. Government imposed excessively high taxes on CBU vehicles to encourage foreign car manufacturers to build factories and produce their vehicles in the country. This would help the country’s economy as well as to increase the employment rates. This is the reason why we see more and more CKD vehicles available in the country.

CBU – Complete Built Up. A CBU import means a vehicle is completely built out of the country.

Modern 4-door sedans are often popular in today's market. Sporty sedans from BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. populate the luxury sport class, and I think a properly restored and configured Corvair sedan has a rightful place in this category. 1965-1967 Corvair sedans share the same weight range as the coupe and convertible, and their brakes and suspension is also the same. So handling, brakes, power and style in the Corvair sedan can easily match the coupe and convertible. Electronic fuel injection, cruise control, tinted windows, sound deadening materials, A/C, modern electronics, sporty wheels and tires, etc. all help to transform a 1965-67 sedan into a classy 21st century classic car for a fraction of the cost of modern sport sedans. Here are some examples...

The 1965 Corvair sedan from Arizona in the first three pictures really inspires me to search for a late model sedan to call my own. It is an example of what can be accomplished to produce a sporty, elegant Corvair sedan with minimal modifications. It takes full advantage of a set of modern sporty wheels and tires, and with the classic body style it is somehow transformed. The late model sedan really already had the handling, style and performance desired. The modern wheels and tires seem to elevate it into the 21st century, while retaining the classic style and design.

I would recommend focusing on repairing any rust that has appeared, and then give it a good protective finish to halt any deterioration and damage caused by rust and body rot. Rust is the "Achilles' heel" that can destroy the unibody Corvair, so if your sedan is in sound mechanical condition, focusing your efforts and resources on body restoration can preserve it for many years to come. If road salt is commonly used in Europe, I would recommend grounding it during the winter months and storing it in a garage to prevent further exposure to the wintertime elements.

What engine and transmission is your sedan equipped with? Can you post additional pictures of the engine compartment, interior, trunk and body? Are you sure about the 1968 model year? The tail light design is from 1965, and as far as I know no Corvair 4-door sedans were produced by Chevrolet after 1967 — unless some unique sedans slipped out of assembly in Europe in 1968. The body tag and VIN serial number tag in the engine compartment might help to confirm the production year.
:dontknow:
Brad Bodie
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Dutchair,

Good luck with your new purchase, looks to be a very good car to start with. Have fun and enjoy :tu: :tu:
Lots of good things came from the Netherlands including my Great Great Grandfather Dirk Boekeloo.

Jeff, in Kalamazoo Mi..

https://youtu.be/rrD1j4Fmrns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Congratulations on getting a four door sedan. The Chevrolet term for a hardtop (pillarless) four door car is "Sport Sedan". As you can see from the productions numbers the late model four door Corvairs (or as Vair folks call them - "More Door" were produced in low numbers. An odd statistic, but Chevrolet sold a number of "family friendly" utilitarian four door cars so the "sporty", lower, Corvair wasn't as popular. Also folks have cut up four door cars for parts to restore the two door cars. Suddenly late model four door Corvairs are not seen often making them a novelty.

I have a convertible and a fellow in my club had a 1966 four door with factory air conditioning that had sat in a garage for over 20 years. Rough paint, but a solid rust free S. California car. He made me a deal I could not refuse and I bought it. Now I'm finally getting around to restoring it and I'm amazed at the attention it is getting.

Good luck with your "More door" Corvair.
dutchair

Post by dutchair »

Thanks everyone for your reply on my topic :tu:

I've made a few pics of my corvair last weekend, as you can see, the car needs a new paint job but i'm thinking about keeping it this way for a while and drive (and enjoy) it as a "ratlooker". maybe i'll paint it with a colorless paint to protect the Original paint .

But that is not my first worry, i've discoverd another problem. the engine is getting very hot after i droved it for a few miles. it seems that the cooling system does'nt work.
I think a disfunction of the thermostat or maybe the enginecover that is full of grease and dirt. The car has been standing still for almost a year in a garage.
Brings me to my question, is it easy to remove and replace the thermostat and the enginecoverplate without taken the engine out of the car ?
I haven't got the tools or the facilities to take the motor out. I got the skills and the will to do it myself so that shouden't be a problem

thanks already,

greetings, dutchair

WP_20150704_007.jpg
WP_20150704_004.jpg
WP_20150704_004.jpg
Attachments
WP_20150704_005.jpg
dutchair

Post by dutchair »

Some pictures of the interior, it's all in pretty good shape

WP_20150704_002.jpg