new member in San Juans

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
ybnormal

new member in San Juans

Post by ybnormal »

- back in college (late 70's) my ride was a 63 Corvan customized somewhat for camping ........... it served me well earning my way through school painting houses, and carried my ultralight aircraft as we traveled cross-country, among other delightful missions :tu: ........... brought it with me to the San Juan islands after getting married, and it eventually gained a 63 Greenbrier mate also customized for camping -

- my biggest regret is selling them both in the early 90's because i had convinced myself that we needed something of 'lower maintenance' for family hauling .............. experience now clarifies how sorrowfully wrong i was in that regard, and i recently tried tracking down their current status .................. alas, after years of faithful service to their new owner, he felt unable to maintain them further and had them crushed :sad5: -

- recently my wife expressed wishes for some van camping in our retirement years, and my research found a 62 Corvan candidate on ebay ............ we won the auction, but found shipping to our location was not likely to ever be feasible ............ so we flew to Wisconsin to drive it back to the west coast :clap: -

- so i am currently trying to get it rigged for camping .............. named it Buttercup -

- also found we need some parts that don't seem to be available through Clark's ........... like the wire rods under the engine lid that hold up the insulation (engine lid insulation support rods) (3) and we need one of those threaded rods that hold down the air filter (air filter support threaded rods) (1) ............. would love to hear suggestions for sourcing these items, and others as we progress -

thanks,
ybnormal
Attachments
Buttercup starboard.jpg
cad-kid

Re: new member in San Juans

Post by cad-kid »

:welcomeparty: to the site!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

If Clark's does not list the items you need, you might be able to outfit Buttercup with some used components from the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. They have a large inventory and may have the items you need...

:link: http://www.corvairranch.com/

1079 Bon-Ox Road, ​Gettysburg, ​PA. 17325 USA
​Phone: (717) 624-2805
Fax us by the same number... ask us to hook up the machine
​Email: corvairranch@embarqmail.com
Our hours are Monday thru Friday 9 to 5, Saturday 9 to 12
or contact us for an appointment.

The following link may prove useful when working on your Corvair. Many shop manuals, supplements and other useful Corvair-related technical documents are available for free downloads in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for your Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Quite cool! Welcome to the forum! I'm sure some of those sounds and smells will bring back memories! Good luck! :tu:
veverlove

Post by veverlove »

Welcome from Santa Cruz county, California! Since you're on the Left (West) Coast, why not contact Mel Raven (of Mel's Vairmart) in San Jose, CA? 408-267-8164 - open Tuesday thru Saturday. I know he'll have that threaded rod, and quite possibly the other support rods you're looking for, or could very likely find/locate them for you. He's an extra friendly, top notch person to deal with and very knowledgeable about all things Corvair - or Corvan, in your case. Good luck and safe traveling once Buttercup is roadworthy.
Victor Everlove - Santa Cruz Co, CA
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible, PG (converted 4-speed)
1961 Corvair Lakewood, PG (RIP - got torched 11/2014)
2001 Chevy Blazer Extreme, LS 1 (RIP - hit-n-run total 06/2014)

Return to “Introductions”