New to this forum

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Barry M.

New to this forum

Post by Barry M. »

I just joined this forum in addition to be a member of the Corvair Center Forum. I have viewed the forum as a guest and value opinions that are expressed. I will have to learn how best to participate.

Briefly, I live in East Tennessee. Debby and I have 3 Corvairs at present. These are a '64 500 Coupe, '64 Monza convertible and a '65 Corsa convertible.

I will use this introduction to say thanks to all veterans on this special day and recognize that yesterday was the birthday for the Marine Corps. I suspect many of you, like me, served during the Vietnam era and in some instances experienced disdain from our citizens when we returned home. I'm thankful this seems to have changed for the better. We have men and women today who are serving under difficult situations and I am thankful for them. I wish our Commander-in-Chief had and deserved more credibility. Our military deserves leadership and total support.

Thank you,

Barry Maupin
Attachments
1964 Corvair May 2014 009.jpg
1964 Corvair Monza Oct. 2014 030.jpg
Copy of 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible July 2014 046.jpg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: New to this forum

Post by bbodie52 »

:coolphotos: :welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

Assuming that you live somewhere near Knoxville, I am not too far from you (about 120 miles) in southwest North Carolina, on Lake Chatuge, near Hayesville, NC and Hiawassee, GA. I only have one Corvair at the present time — a 1966 Corsa convertible. I have been around Corvairs since my parents bought their first one — a new 1961 Monza coupe. Over the years we have had ten Corvairs in our family. About half were EM Corvairs (1961, 1962 and 1963), and the rest were 1965-1966 Corsas.

I did serve in the military, but not in Vietnam. I joined the Air Force at age 19 in November 1972, and remained with the Air Force for 24 years, retiring as a Master Sergeant (E-7) in 1996. My overseas tours were in Germany, South Korea (twice), and Saudi Arabia. In the USA I was stationed in California, Texas, Mississippi, Georgia, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts. I was a telecommunications-electronics technician.

I think you will find the Corvair Forum a good place to hang out. I hope you will tell us a bit more about you and your Corvair hobby when you have the time.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Barry M.

Post by Barry M. »

Thanks Jeremy
County98

Post by County98 »

Welcome to the forum!
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
1949chevy

Post by 1949chevy »

I like your thinking Barry....were you at Corvairs at Maggie Valley?....the conv looks super nice and there was one there that could have only been that one....happy veterans day from Navy veteran.
Barry M.

Post by Barry M. »

Yes I was there and enjoy the experience very much. Thanks for your comments about the car and I always appreciate someone who has served in our military.
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Nice, nice collection! Welcome!
1949chevy

Post by 1949chevy »

Your corvair is simple STUNNING!! You have to see the car in person to appreciate this car.

You and I had a pretty lengthy conversation...I left about 1 pm because of the rain...I was in my red 49 fleetline.
IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG
Barry M.

Post by Barry M. »

Of course. I remember now. I enjoyed meeting you and thanks for posting the photos. The engine compartment is probably the best part of the car. I started to post an engine picture, but I don't see how to attach. Maybe it's because I am using the "Quick Reply". I need guidance so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Barry
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Barry Maupin wrote:...I started to post an engine picture, but I don't see how to attach. Maybe it's because I am using the "Quick Reply". I need guidance so any help is appreciated....

If you are not familiar with posting pictures on the Corvair Forum, here are some guidelines. I wrote these instructions a while ago to try to help new members of the Corvair Forum with posting pictures. There are two methods. Hopefully these guidelines will help you...

To be able to post pictures, always use POST REPLY — not QUICK REPLY — to open the full-featured editor.

There are basically two ways to post a digital photograph on the Corvair Forum. The first, illustrated below, involves inserting an image URL address between two Img markers. The URL image address is copied from an existing picture on the Internet. The source image can be another picture already on display within the Corvair Forum, or it can be just about any picture, artwork, or graphic image that is publicly viewable by anyone on the Internet. You simply need to copy the source image URL temporarily to the computer "clipboard", and the paste that URL address within the text you are writing on the Corvair Forum (between the two Img markers). Once you have posted your text, the Corvair Forum software will simply grab the image from the source URL and will display it embedded within your text (at the location where you embedded the Img markers and source URL).

For example, I am embedding the First Place Image and Avatar Image images to the left of this post within the text here by copying their URL addresses between two Img markers.

Here is what the above text looks like unsaved...
For example, I am embedding the First Place [img.]images/ranks/COTBLACKPLATE.png[/img] and Avatar [img.]download/file.php?avatar=2689_1344285003.jpg[/img] images to the left of this post within the text here by copying their URL addresses between two Img markers.
Maybe this illustration will help...

You can manually copy images and pictures from other Corvair Forum posts that were embedded as uploads by right-clicking each image in the source with your right mouse button and selecting Copy image URL from the menu choices. Doing so will invisibly copy the image URL address to the computer temporary data buffer called a clipboard. Using the Img button at the top of the editor screen, and the standard PC copy and paste technique will allow you to paste that URL address data from the clipboard into your Corvair Forum text (surrounded by bracketed img markers), which will display as the original picture or image when the post has been saved for display. It illustration below depicts the process.

Click on image to enlarge for better viewing...
Corvair Forum Image Transfer.jpg
NOTE: This same technique will allow you to copy just about any graphic, photo, or other displayed image from any public website, Facebook, or other website that is not secured and is publically viewable by right-clicking the desired image, obtaining the image URL, and then pasting the URL with Img markers into your Corvair Forum text.

=========================================================================

The other method of embedding pictures involves uploading the images that you have physically stored on your computer. Simply scroll down in the editor and click on the Upload attachment tab >> Choose File >> Add the file. You can upload many pictures, but you have to add them one at a time. The Corvair Forum operating system does not allow for batch uploads of multiple files.

Either way, the pictures you upload will not be visible as photographs until you click on Preview or Submit.

=========================================================================

There is also an online help section on the Corvair Forum. See...

How to post a picture (and start a new topic)

CorvairForum Site Topics ‹ Site Specific Topics ‹ Site Features and How to Use Them ‹ How to post a picture (and start a new topic)

:link: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=618
Brad Bodie
Barry M.

Post by Barry M. »

Thanks Brad.
72BBNova
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 72BBNova »

Hi Barry and welcome :wave: Guy's, picture's do not do his 64 convertible justice, it's one extremely nice car. I went to Maggie Valley this year and his car was my favorite early model down there. That color with the saddle interior and white top looks great, only one down there that color. Here's a couple more of his car at Vairs in the Valley. Jeff

Jeff
1964 Spyder coupe
1966 Corsa convertible (project, some assembly required)
1972 Nova 496/6spd
1975 Chevy Cheyenne 454 C20 camper special
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:coolphotos: I doubt it looked that good inside the engine compartment when it was new in the showroom!!!

:chevy: :tu: :tu: :clap: :not worthy:
Brad Bodie
Barry M.

Post by Barry M. »

Jeff, Brad, 49Chevy and others,

Thanks for the comments and posting the pictures. That was a nice surprise. :ty:

I am attaching photos of a pretty red chevy.
Attachments
Maggie Valley Corvairs Oct. 2014 040.jpg
Maggie Valley Corvairs Oct. 2014 034.jpg
Maggie Valley Corvairs Oct. 2014 036.jpg
Maggie Valley Corvairs Oct. 2014 037.jpg
1949chevy

Post by 1949chevy »

Barry M. wrote:Jeff, Brad, 49Chevy and others,

Thanks for the comments and posting the pictures. That was a nice surprise. :ty:

I am attaching photos of a pretty red chevy.
Thanks Barry for the photos of my red 49 chevy....it is a sweetheart car to many many people....when I drive it downtown, the young folks come out of bars, eateries, etc just to take photos of it...it runs as good as it looks...the high performance 283 hangs with my two car show buddies...they have a 64 409 and the other one is a 65 GTO...I usually run the middle going to tn or east of here to car shows...the GTO guy says when I pass a car and get on it a little...you are right there on my bumper....

Yestereday, I put my 66 corvair on the road for the very first time and on the next block over, I got a thumbs up on the corvair...tickled to drive the car...first time driving a corvair...will take more photos when I get the wheel chrome finished....its a faded red $1600.00 car with no rust except around the back window...the floors still have red over spray on them on the bottom side...lots of oil leaks though.

My other car is nice too....being ignored and mad right now though...me and my girlfriend took the 49 up on the Parkway and Chimney Rock leaf looking a couple of weeks back making the vette mad...we usually take it...we have a 42 year relationship though(uh...me and car, girlfriend 22 years)...it will get over it...its a 327-350HP with close ratio 4 speed, pw, pb, manual steering and rare rare factory air.
004 email blue vette .jpg
Attachments
004 email blue vette .jpg

Return to “Introductions”