Hello Corvair Gurus...

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Metal twister

Hello Corvair Gurus...

Post by Metal twister »

Hello all. I'm new here out of necessity. :banghead: I am a custom car builder in San Diego and have a few projects that I need to utilize Corvair engines in. As a kid back in the early 70's I ran 140 Corvair engines in my sand cars and just loved them. Ive forgotten just about everything about them with the exception of how good of engine they were. Im here to re acquaint myself with this wonderful little power plant and an occasional question or nudge in the right direction.
Change is Opportunity
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Hello Corvair Gurus...

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum! As a custom car builder, I hope you will post some pictures to show us some of your favorite work!!

The 140hp four carburetor engine is certainly a great performance engine in the Corvair, and more tractable for the most part than the more temperamental 150/180hp turbocharged engine. However, the big valve 140hp engine is somewhat more-rare than its little brother — the 110hp dual carburetor engine found in 1964-1969 Corvairs. Both the 110hp and 140hp units share the same displacement (164 Cubic Inches) and the same bottom end (short block) with the same camshaft. The primary difference is in the cylinder heads, with larger valves, 2 primary and 2 secondary carburetors, and dual exhaust in the 140hp unit. The 140hp heads have started to develop a reputation for dropping valve seats in recent years.

GM Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) and Distributorless Ignition (DIS) has been adapted for use in a dual throttle body configuration in recent years, which can be adapted for use with the 110hp or 140 hp heads. My understanding is that the EFI throttle bodies flow more air than the Rochester carburetors did, so I suspect with dual throttle bodies it will perform quite well with 110hp or 140hp heads, coupled with dual exhaust. (I intend to try it on my Corsa next year).

:link: http://corvair-efi.com/

This book will tell you a lot about Corvair engines...

If you don't own a copy of this book, I would strongly suggest that you buy a copy and read it to help you with your Corvair upgrades and improvement investments. I have owned the earlier version of this book since 1970, and bought the updated version when it was published last year. It is filled with a great deal of informative material that has been developed and collected over decades of Corvair ownership and racing. At $22.04 it is a good Corvair "bible" that will help you to make educated, informed decisions for your Corvair before you actually spend time and money.

:link: http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Corva ... th+emerson

I would suggest contacting (and possibly joining) the San Diego Corvair Club. Socializing with experienced Corvair owners and aficionados is another great way to learn more about these cars and engines...
CORSA Chapter Locator - San Diego Corvair Club
ImageImageImageImage
Chapter ID: 921
Organization Name: San Diego Corvair Club

Street Address (Primary): The San Diego Corvair Club P.O. Box 34682, San Diego, CA 92163

San Diego Corvair Club Officers
President: Mike Rodgers
Vice President: David Kerth, Email: lauradg@aol.com
Vice President, Activities: Mike Evans, Email: mike63monza@hotmail.com
Secretary: Red Badgett, Email: redbadgett@sbcglobal.net
Treasurer: Mary Ann Hilton
Technical Support: Larry Tustison, Email: larrytustison@sbcglobal.net
Webmaster: Royce Hildreth, Email: rhildreth@hildrethmedia.com
Newsletter Editor: Red Badgett, Email: redbadgett@sbcglobal.net
Newsletter Name: Vairmail
Email (Primary): redbadgett@aol.com
If you would like to contact the San Diego Corvair Club, please email Red Badget at redbadgett@aol.com

The S.D.C.C. meets at 7:00 pm, the second Thursday of each month at Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet in Kearny Mesa.
JJ Chevrolet is located at 7978 Balboa Ave., San Diego CA 92111

History of the San Diego Corvair Club (S.D.C.C.)

The San Diego Corvair Club (SDCC) was organized in August 1973 with 26 members. Jim Craig, being one of the pioneers of the Club, took the position of President (Pro Tem). The first election of Officers was in 1974. Jim Craig was elected President, Marsh Hesler Secretary-Treasurer, and Lew Richel Activities. The purpose of the San Diego Corvair Club is to encourage the preservation and enjoyment of the Corvair vehicle. Total membership was reported as 96, dues were $6.00, lined club jackets $10.00 (unlined $8.00), and the club treasury boasted $315.10. In 1978, the Club hosted the Corvair Society of America (CORSA) International Convention for Corvairs at the San Diego Convention Center. Many hours and a lot of work by the members of the SDCC helped make the Convention a great success. The Club was incorporated in the State of California as the San Diego Corvair Club on June 21, 1978. This corporation is organized under the General Nonprofit Corporation Law of the State of California. The Club is a chartered chapter of CORSA (#921), an association incorporated under the General Not-For-Profit Act of the State of Illinois on November 17, 1972. The Club is currently governed by ten board members: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Activities Vice President.

Due to the age of the Corvair automobile and the possibility of it breaking down when on the road, the Club thought it would be a good idea to have a vehicle that could be used to carry parts and tools for Corvairs. It would be used to go to all Club events and be available to help in the repair of any Corvair that might be in despair. Larry's Corvair Parts, Gardena, CA, donated a Corvair Van to the SDCC; this was converted by a group in the Club called the OF's into a rescue van called Rescue #921. The Van carries a variety of parts, new and used, and a wide variety of tools. The van is used at all functions of the SDCC and other functions such as local area conventions and other local club activities. The van has rescued many disabled corvairs that have broken down in one way or another.
:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Metal twister

Post by Metal twister »

Thanks for the info. Now Im anxious to see what I actually am getting. Might be a 110? who knows. Funny thing is that I gave this motor to this guy 25 years ago but don't remember doing it? It will be interesting to see if it jars my memory once I see it. LOL when I get it I will post up a pic or two for ID.'ing purposes. The plan is to put it in the back of a VW Thing for off road use. Thanks again guys it is truly appreciated the help even though it's not truly a Corvair project. I will post up a couple of projects that I have finished up here in the last year. I'm more into the older vehicles but I did do my thing on this newer Cobra not long ago.

I kind of like the engine surround I built but still getting use to the colors Mr. Customer picked. LOL
Last edited by Metal twister on Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Change is Opportunity
Metal twister

Post by Metal twister »

Did my thing on this little Chevy woody as well.
And many many more!
Change is Opportunity

Return to “Introductions”