from Iowa..new to corvairs

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
edbrown

from Iowa..new to corvairs

Post by edbrown »

Hi just joined.I just picked up a 1963 corvair greenbrier van.clean title but motor and tranny need put in.I traded a $100 go cart for it lol.wife is not happy but how could I pass it up? Once I learn to post pics I will.
flat6_musik

Re: from Iowa..new to corvairs

Post by flat6_musik »

Awesome, Ed.......welcome. You're in for some fun tearing into that van. Let us know if you need any help. It may be somewhat of a challenge, since you never saw how it came apart, but......we can help ya out.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

edbrown wrote:Hi just joined.I just picked up a 1963 corvair greenbrier van.clean title but motor and tranny need put in.I traded a $100 go cart for it lol.wife is not happy but how could I pass it up? Once I learn to post pics I will...
:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum, and congratulations on trading a little go cart for a much bigger go cart!

If you are not familiar with posting pictures on the Corvair Forum, here are some guidelines. I wrote these instructions a while ago to try to help new members of the Corvair Forum with posting pictures. There are two methods. Hopefully these guidelines will help you...

To be able to post pictures, always use POST REPLY — not QUICK REPLY — to open the full-featured editor.

There are basically two ways to post a digital photograph on the Corvair Forum. The first, illustrated below, involves inserting an image URL address between two Img markers. The URL image address is copied from an existing picture on the Internet. The source image can be another picture already on display within the Corvair Forum, or it can be just about any picture, artwork, or graphic image that is publicly viewable by anyone on the Internet. You simply need to copy the source image URL temporarily to the computer "clipboard", and the paste that URL address within the text you are writing on the Corvair Forum (between the two Img markers). Once you have posted your text, the Corvair Forum software will simply grab the image from the source URL and will display it embedded within your text (at the location where you embedded the Img markers and source URL).

For example, I am embedding the First Place Image and Avatar Image images to the left of this post within the text here by copying their URL addresses between two Img markers.

Here is what the above text looks like unsaved...
For example, I am embedding the First Place [img.]images/ranks/COTBLACKPLATE.png[/img] and Avatar [img.]download/file.php?avatar=2689_1344285003.jpg[/img] images to the left of this post within the text here by copying their URL addresses between two Img markers.
Maybe this illustration will help...

You can manually copy images and pictures from other Corvair Forum posts that were embedded as uploads by right-clicking each image in the source with your right mouse button and selecting Copy image URL from the menu choices. Doing so will invisibly copy the image URL address to the computer temporary data buffer called a clipboard. Using the Img button at the top of the editor screen, and the standard PC copy and paste technique will allow you to paste that URL address data from the clipboard into your Corvair Forum text (surrounded by bracketed img markers), which will display as the original picture or image when the post has been saved for display. It illustration below depicts the process.

Click on image to enlarge for better viewing...
Corvair Forum Image Transfer.jpg
NOTE: This same technique will allow you to copy just about any graphic, photo, or other displayed image from any public website, Facebook, or other website that is not secured and is publically viewable by right-clicking the desired image, obtaining the image URL, and then pasting the URL with Img markers into your Corvair Forum text.

=========================================================================

The other method of embedding pictures involves uploading the images that you have physically stored on your computer. Simply scroll down in the editor and click on the Upload attachment tab >> Choose File >> Add the file. You can upload many pictures, but you have to add them one at a time. The Corvair Forum operating system does not allow for batch uploads of multiple files.

Either way, the pictures you upload will not be visible as photographs until you click on Preview or Submit.

=========================================================================

There is also an online help section on the Corvair Forum. See...

How to post a picture (and start a new topic)

CorvairForum Site Topics ‹ Site Specific Topics ‹ Site Features and How to Use Them ‹ How to post a picture (and start a new topic)

:link: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=618
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The following link will guide you to sources for parts and free downloadable shop manuals and other Corvair technical references in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format that will be indispensable as you begin to learn to work on your Greenbrier.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for your Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.

You also mentioned that you need to install the powertrain in your van. The attached guide will help you with that task. You will need a service station-type hydraulic floor jack or a transmission jack of some type. If you use a floor jack, an appropriately sized sheet of 3/4" plywood can be used to isolate the bottom of the powertrain from the floor jack lifting platform. Since raising the engine and transaxle into the vehicle is something of a balancing act, having one or two assistants to help you with the process can improve your successful completion of the task and can improve safety as well.

I removed and reinstalled my first Corvair powertrain by myself in 1969 as a 16-year-old teenager. I was sweating a lot during the procedure, as I was sure I was going to drop the engine on the floor and I didn't want to do that, or find myself between the engine and the concrete garage floor. :whoa: In any case, I was successful. Just take it slow and follow the procedures in the attached guidebook and in the 1961 Corvair Shop Manual and 1962-1963 Supplement, which you can download at no cost. If you have any questions, just post them on the Corvair Forum.

Do you know the condition of the powertrain? Why was it removed? Is it serviceable?
Attachments
Corvair and Corvair 95 Power Train Removal & Installation.pdf
Corvair and Corvair 95 Power Train Removal & Installation
(3.35 MiB) Downloaded 23 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
isucorvair

Post by isucorvair »

Where in Iowa? I'm in DeWitt.

Eric p
edbrown

Post by edbrown »

Thanks guys.I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions. I am in Scranton.
Attachments
20140802_152307.jpg
20140802_152307.jpg (38.67 KiB) Viewed 970 times
MBlaster1

Post by MBlaster1 »

Welcome, look like a good start. Did you say traded for go cart and $100.00 that is a smoking deal. Good luck.
Don Howard
Lake City Fl.

66 140 Convertible
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

That is a nice looking Greenbrier Van to start with!! :tu: Just a word of warning tho.... one may not be enough!
:welcome:

Corventure Dave
Attachments
CS Brier camp.JPG
CS Ramp out 3.JPG
edbrown

Post by edbrown »

No just the go cart that I have 100$ motor from harbor freight on.it was just sitting around my garage anyway
edbrown

Post by edbrown »

bbodie52,thank you for the links.Heres a little about me.This will be my very first corvair i have no idea what to do except for what i have read on here.i am pretty mechanically inclined i have a 1983 s10 with a 350 sbc in it that has been my baby for the last 6 years.I work in the fabrication department at a company that builds garbage trucks.i have been there for 15 plus years.So i have access to all the steel and all the machines.i have built my own bottle jack press,engine test stand and now im working on a tubing bender.I do all my own work on my cars and trucks.one thing i cant do is body work,the few times ive tried it didnt turn out very well.just cant get the hang of it.I enjoy making my own tools and stuff,i guess i like to challenge myself.i am really looking forward to learning about this van but ive already seen a few cars that I REALLY like and want one now lol
SfcColts

Post by SfcColts »

Welcome edbrown to Corvairs.

There are quite a few of us in Iowa. I'm in Ankeny and JTVairs is in Des Moines (for now).

I know of a body man in your neck of the woods (Coalville) who has done quite a few Corvairs. When you get to the point where you are ready for him, give me a shout and I'll pass him name and number on to you. Not that long ago he did a LOT of body work and paint on my latest headache, a basket case of a 1965 Mustang.

Like CourventureDave said, they are quite addictive and if your not careful they multiple! I myself have been fighting the urge to drag home a 1968 Convertible. So far I haven't succumbed to the urge but I'm not sure how much longer I can hold off :chevy:
65 Arrival Blue Monza
64 Palomar Red Monza
edbrown

Post by edbrown »

thanks ill keep that in mind.i grew up in des moines
RocklinDave

Post by RocklinDave »

Welcome, Mr Brown.. That"s a great deal.. These I believe at the moment are so under priced.. seeing as I've own a few VW split windows (21 window, poptop camper, 2- doka's, 11 window, and a 13 window in my years behind the wheel) VW were made for so many years, But these not as many people got to enjoy one.. You did good, great color. cheers :clap:
The passion IS the pursuit
64 Monza Vert
edbrown

Post by edbrown »

Thank you..will be a learning curve for sure
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

How did I miss this thread :dontknow: Welcome to the forum. That's an unbelievable deal you made on that FC. It looks pretty nice from here. You're off to a good start.
1961 Monza
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog it's too dark to read."
Barry M.

Post by Barry M. »

Ed,

Since you aren't too far from Des Moines, you may want to contact or visit JT Vairs. John & Teresa Miller are very knowledgeable and a great resource for Corvair information.

Return to “Introductions”