My new 1965 Corvair Monza

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Shane Monza 65

My new 1965 Corvair Monza

Post by Shane Monza 65 »

Bought a ’65 Monza convertible in August, my first Corvair. It's a beauty--black with white canvas top, red interior. It appears to be in wonderful condition, with no rust that I can see anywhere. One of the previous owners kept the car in a mold-free garage for 30+ years, so I am told. The engine was rebuilt in 2006, and it has relatively new canvas top. The original interior is in good shape. The convertible top boot needs work--most of the snaps have come off since I’ve used it, and it has one small puncture, but is in decent shape otherwise.

The car could use new tires, maybe a carb balancing, and oil change. Not sure what else at this time. It blows blue smoke sometimes upon starting, and idles a bit fast, but drives smooth on the open road.

I bought the car in West Virginia, and with new brake/trans fluids and oil, drove it to it’s new home in the Finger Lakes, NY, with a buddy following in his truck in case of any problems or breakdowns -- a 500 plus mile trip with no issues save for leaking gas when filling up, which I understand is due to a filler hose crack.

So now that it will be in a colder climate with more snow, I’ll first be looking for advice on how to over winter it on my property...
Attachments
Corvair in front of firehouse.JPG
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: My new 1965 Corvair Monza

Post by bbodie52 »

:tu: :clap: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum, from one Late Model ragtop owner to another.

This link may help you with your fuel leak problem. It is common for Corvairs to develop a fuel leak in the filler pipe connections. A partial fill is a temporary fix until you can pull the fuel tank and make the necessary repairs...

Fuel Tank Removal & Installation
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=5779

Since you live in a road salt infested part of the country, the best thing you can do for your classic Corvair convertible is to keep it home and out of the road salt during the winter. Road salt is terribly corrosive and Late Model Corvair convertibles are particularly vulnerable to the destructive nature of road salt. If your Corvair is relatively free of body rot and rust, you really want to keep it that way!

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=275

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for your Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.

The Corvair Forum is a great way to learn about Corvairs and to find guidance and assistance in helping you with Corvair-related issues. But there is no real substitute for face-to-face contact with other like-minded Corvair enthusiasts. I would strongly suggest that you consider joining a local CORSA club chapter. These clubs are usually family-oriented and offer car shows, competitions, DIY training and assistance, picnics, etc. that can really enhance the enjoyment of owning and driving a Corvair.

ImageThere are several CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters in New York. I would suggest contacting them and inquiring about membership.

Here are some links to investigate...

Long Island Corvair Association
West Babylon, New York - Chapter 117
:link: http://longislandcorvairassociation.zohosites.com/

Central New York Corvair Club
P.O. Box 616 Jamesville, NY 13078 - Chapter 130)
:link: http://www.cnycorvair.com/CNYCorvair.php

Capital District Corvair Club
Delmar, New York - Chapter 120
:link: http://www.corvair.org/chapters/chapter120/

ACORNS (Association of COvaiR NutS)
Rochester, New York - Chapter 148
:link: http://www.corvair.org/chapters/chapter148/

Niagara Frontier Corvair Club
Buffalo, New York - Chapter 140
:link: http://nfcc.8m.com/index.html
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Nice! Welcome.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

Welcome, and that's a nice looking car. I was up in Ithica for the first time last month and loved the area and beautiful country. Too cold in the winter for a Texan but I'd like to go back in the fall sometime.
1961 Monza
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog it's too dark to read."
Shane Monza 65

Post by Shane Monza 65 »

Thanks very much for the welcome and helpful information and links! I'm a bit swamped this week but wanted to dash out the following....

A bit more about me—the Corvair is only the 3rd car I’ve ever owned, and my hands on repair abilities are very limited at this time. I can change a tire, check and change the oil, remove/change a battery, fill it up, wash and wax it. That’s about it at this point, but with all of the support out there, I’ve glad I decided to jump in and I'm hoping to learn to do a lot more. I’m becoming more and more aware that this car is like nothing I’ve ever owned or driven. And it's a blast to drive.

Right now, with a upstate New York winter only a few months away, I need to get protection set up for the Monza. Problem is, most builders I have relied upon in the past can’t take on a carport construction project this fall. So I’m also looking in to some kind of mobile, easy to assemble cover. First I plan to cover the car with a Covercraft Weathershield HP Cover. I can only assume that a lot of heavy snow on a convertible top is a very dumb risk to be taking, yet if anyone knows how much snow load a convertible can safely handle, I would appreciate having the knowledge. Worse comes to worse, I can rent a nearby car storage facility for this winter.

With a unique car of this age, and in the great shape that it’s in, I want to do all I can to maintain it and be a responsible owner. Any additional advise is very much appreciated!

By the way, I plan to make it to the Hershey PA Region AACA antique car show next month—looking forward to seeing some Corvairs there….

Return to “Introductions”