thank you from a newby to forum

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
newbycorvair65

thank you from a newby to forum

Post by newbycorvair65 »

I am new to forum and also a newby to the corvair world'
I have a 65 corsa that was running until I turned a corner to put car up and she just quit!
Any help would be greatly appreciative
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: thank you from a newby to forum

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!
newbycorvair65 wrote:...I have a 65 corsa that was running until I turned a corner to put car up and she just quit!
The information you provided would be classified as VERY SKETCHY! I'll try to venture a few guesses...

Does it have any electrical signs of life? Are there instrument warning lights when you turn the key on? Will the engine crank but not start? If you crank the engine and check for a spark at the coil wire or at a disconnected spark plug wire, do you get a spark between the wire and ground?

Turning the corner and having the engine just quit (won't start?) possibly sounds electrical in nature... such as a loose connection. If you have instrument power and lights, and it cranks but won't start and you cannot successfully find evidence of spark voltage at a spark plug wire, there could be a fault with the ignition points or th connection wire between the points and the coil. Supply voltage to the coil comes from a different circuit when cranking the engine than it does with the engine running. If you check for a spark and get nothing, a coil or distributor problem might be indicated.

Lack of fuel? If you have a spark when cranking the engine, but no signs of life, fuel starvation may be considered. If you remove the air cleaner, open the choke and peer down the throat of the carburetor, do you see a squirt of fuel as you open the throttle?

More clues and symptoms would be a significant help in diagnosing your problem.

:dontknow: I would like to invite you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, etc. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your geographic location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Introductions”