New, from Long Island

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Pathfinder

New, from Long Island

Post by Pathfinder »

Greetings. I'm a new, 1st time owner and scored with what I'm learning to be a rare find: 1969 140 / 4 Convertible. Came to me from my new friend in Wisconsin, and my daughter and I have been having a blast showing her off around the South Shore of Long Island. Looking forward to reading posts here and answers to my many questions that are about to follow! Unfortunately I'm having trouble uploading pics (assistance appreciated), but she's dusk blue w/white top.
'69 140/4 Vert, Dusk Blue / White Top
'14 Durango LTD
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: New, from Long Island

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum! i'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your prize acquisition. Here are some instructions regarding a couple of methods for posting photographs on the Corvair Forum...

If you are not familiar with posting pictures on the Corvair Forum, here are some guidelines. I wrote these instructions a while ago to try to help new members of the Corvair Forum with posting pictures. There are two methods. Hopefully these guidelines will help you...

To be able to post pictures, always use POST REPLY — not QUICK REPLY — to open the full-featured editor.

There are basically two ways to post a digital photograph on the Corvair Forum. The first, illustrated below, involves inserting an image URL address between two Img markers. The URL image address is copied from an existing picture on the Internet. The source image can be another picture already on display within the Corvair Forum, or it can be just about any picture, artwork, or graphic image that is publicly viewable by anyone on the Internet. You simply need to copy the source image URL temporarily to the computer "clipboard", and the paste that URL address within the text you are writing on the Corvair Forum (between the two Img markers). Once you have posted your text, the Corvair Forum software will simply grab the image from the source URL and will display it embedded within your text (at the location where you embedded the Img markers and source URL).

For example, I am embedding the First Place Image and Avatar Image images to the left of this post within the text here by copying their URL addresses between two Img markers.

Here is what the above text looks like unsaved...
For example, I am embedding the First Place [img.]images/ranks/COTBLACKPLATE.png[/img] and Avatar [img.]download/file.php?avatar=2689_1344285003.jpg[/img] images to the left of this post within the text here by copying their URL addresses between two Img markers.
Maybe this illustration will help...

You can manually copy images and pictures from other Corvair Forum posts that were embedded as uploads by right-clicking each image in the source with your right mouse button and selecting Copy image URL from the menu choices. Doing so will invisibly copy the image URL address to the computer temporary data buffer called a clipboard. Using the Img button at the top of the editor screen, and the standard PC copy and paste technique will allow you to paste that URL address data from the clipboard into your Corvair Forum text (surrounded by bracketed img markers), which will display as the original picture or image when the post has been saved for display. It illustration below depicts the process.

Click on image to enlarge for better viewing...
Corvair Forum Image Transfer.jpg
NOTE: This same technique will allow you to copy just about any graphic, photo, or other displayed image from any public website, Facebook, or other website that is not secured and is publically viewable by right-clicking the desired image, obtaining the image URL, and then pasting the URL with Img markers into your Corvair Forum text.

==========================================================================

The other method of embedding pictures involves uploading the images that you have physically stored on your computer. Simply scroll down in the editor and click on the Upload attachment tab >> Choose File >> Add the file. You can upload many pictures, but you have to add them one at a time. The Corvair Forum operating system does not allow for batch uploads of multiple files.

Either way, the pictures you upload will not be visible as photographs until you click on Preview or Submit.

==============================================================================================

The Corvair Forum is a great way to learn about Corvairs and to find guidance and assistance in helping you with Corvair-related issues. But there is no real substitute for face-to-face contact with other like-minded Corvair enthusiasts. I would strongly suggest that you consider joining a local CORSA club chapter. These clubs are usually family-oriented and offer car shows, competitions, DIY training and assistance, picnics, etc. that can really enhance the enjoyment of owning and driving a Corvair.

ImageThere are several CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters in New York. I would suggest contacting them and inquiring about membership.

Here are some links to investigate...

Long Island Corvair Association
West Babylon, New York - Chapter 117
:link: http://longislandcorvairassociation.zohosites.com/

Central New York Corvair Club
P.O. Box 616 Jamesville, NY 13078 - Chapter 130)
:link: http://www.cnycorvair.com/CNYCorvair.php

Capital District Corvair Club
Delmar, New York - Chapter 120
:link: http://www.corvair.org/chapters/chapter120/

ACORNS (Association of COvaiR NutS)
Rochester, New York - Chapter 148
:link: http://www.corvair.org/chapters/chapter148/

Niagara Frontier Corvair Club
Buffalo, New York - Chapter 140
:link: http://nfcc.8m.com/index.html

==============================================================================================

Here are some useful Corvair-related links...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: Finally, I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for your Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Pathfinder

Post by Pathfinder »

Thanks Brad - I'm actually more computer savvy than mechanical savvy at the moment, and it was killing me I couldn't upload the pics - turned out the tablet was to blame; the desktop works like a charm. So please enjoy the pics... Meanwhile, thanks for your comments and link suggestions. As for the car it has about 49k original miles and was repainted about 10 years ago, although could probably use a refresh in another year or so. The chrome is in what I would call good condition - a few small dings here and there, but all the trim is straight, solid and rust free. The interior could use a detailing but otherwise in-tact 100%, though the foam around the center dash pod (radio, etc) is a little saggy and I'm having trouble finding replacements. Some of the kickplates and seat "socks" are rough but I'm thinking a re-spray of paint will solve those issues. All glass and fuzzy are 100%; the clock and gas gauge are not functioning - saving that for a later date. The top has some very minor issues on the right side near the bottom, but otherwise in great shape, save for some scuff marks. The boot is 100%. When she arrived all 4 carbs needed a rebuild and we swapped out the electronic ignition back to points - the car is much happier and peppier for it. Had to drain out the dirty gas (and I think I still get a bit sucked in here and there causing some occasional stalling), and that would be about it.

As for my skills, it's been 30 years since I've tuned up a car and don't have the tools any longer, etc., and at the moment have a great support team of mechanics nearby who love working on these cars and who I can learn from as time goes by. That said, I'm handy enough to climb under dash's and fiddle w/ radios, fix interior parts, etc., and looking forward to building my knowledge base as I go.

Thanks again for your welcome message.
Phillip
Attachments
005.jpg
007.jpg
010.jpg
010.jpg (32.15 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
012.jpg
012.jpg (30.88 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
'14 Durango LTD
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:coolphotos: :clap: That is a sharp looking convertible! That should turn some heads wherever it goes!!! :woo:
Pathfinder wrote:...we swapped out the electronic ignition back to points - the car is much happier and peppier for it. Had to drain out the dirty gas (and I think I still get a bit sucked in here and there causing some occasional stalling), and that would be about it...
Unless the electronic breakerless ignition system was faulty, I'm not sure why eliminating it would make the engine run better. One possibility is the source voltage. The stock wiring in the car provides a full 12V DC to the coil and ignition system from the starter solenoid only when the engine is being cranked. When the key is released to the ON position, the source voltage from the starter solenoid disappears — leaving only a reduced 6-7V DC to the coil via a resistor wire in the wiring harness. When an electronic breakerless ignition system (usually Pertronix or Crane) is installed, it is usually recommended that the resistor wire in the circuit be bypassed, to provide a full 12V DC to the electronic components at all times. If this was not done the source voltage for the electronic circuits may have been too low — causing the electronics to partially malfunction.

If you will be running ignition points in the distributor, you need to confirm that the resistor wire is in the circuit, to properly reduce the source voltage to the coil to only 6-7V DC. If the resistor wire is not in the circuit, the higher current will cause excessive arcing across the ignition points, which will cause premature wear and pitting of the contacts. This 6-7V DC is what you should measure at the coil positive terminal with the key ON. The source voltage should jump to a full 12V DC ONLY when the engine is being cranked. If you want to run an electronic ignition system, the source voltage should be at 12V DC at all times.
Pathfinder wrote:...the clock and gas gauge are not functioning - saving that for a later date...
In the Monza instrument panel, the clock and fuel gauge are dependent on a proper chassis ground to function properly. If that ground strap connection (one screw) is corroded or loose, the clock will not function and the fuel gauge internal coil will not be properly energized. You should check the connections at each gauge and also check the ground strap (shown below).

Left click each image to enlarge for better viewing...
1965-69 Corvair Instrument Panel Detail (Monza)
1965-69 Corvair Instrument Panel Detail (Monza)
1965-1969 Corvair - Instrument Cluster and Body Harness
1965-1969 Corvair - Instrument Cluster and Body Harness
1965-1969 Corvair Interior Compartment Wiring Diagram
1965-1969 Corvair Interior Compartment Wiring Diagram
Brad Bodie
Pathfinder

Post by Pathfinder »

Thanks Brad. Will advise mechanic re: resistor wires and will check contact areas behind dash as suggested. Your comments are super appreciated. Phillip
'14 Durango LTD
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Welcome to the forum. FYI..there is a Corvair owners group just for 69 owners. They maintain a registry of serial numbers and such.

http://www.corvair.org/chapters/69corvair/
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

FYI — The wiring diagram below shows the approximate location of the resistor wire. (Lower left portion of the diagram). The resistor wire is labelled 20 W/R/B. That resistor wire is integrated into the wiring harness, and is found between the 12-pin multi-connector and the 2-pin connector that is tied to the starter solenoid. The 12V DC wire from the solenoid to the coil is labeled 20 B/Y (20 Gauge, Black with Yellow Stripe). When the starter solenoid is engaged, 12V DC is present on this wire — coming form the starter solenoid. When the solenoid is off, only the lower voltage coming from the 20 W/R/B wire remains to power the coil and ignition points. Running a new bypass wire around the resistor wire from the multi-connector to the coil will provide a full 12V DC. However, in reading over the instructions for the Crane Cams and Pertronix units, the issue of supply voltage varies. It appears that the Crane cams XR700 can tolerate a ballast resistor circuit, and can possibly run hot without one. Their model XR3000, however, seems to want a full 12V DC and they recommend a resistor bypass for the XR3000. The Pertronix manual seems to recommend bypassing the ballast resistor or resistor wire to provide their electronics with a full 12V DC.

You did not mention the model of the electronic ignition system you removed from your Corvair. I have attached instruction sheets for the Crane Cams and Pertronix units, if you are considering using the electronic ignition system again.

The important thing is to determine whether or not your Corvair's resistor wire was ever bypassed when the electronic ignition was installed. If you plan on using the original system with ignition points, you will want a resistor wire or ballast resistor in the circuit to prolong the life of the ignition points. Depending on the model of electronic ignition system you had installed, the resistor wire (if present) may need to be bypassed if you plan on possibly reinstalling the electronic system.

To further complicate things, some Pertronix coils (Flamethrower II) have a special low internal resistance that is only compatible with the Pertronix Ignitor II system. Those low-resistance coils cannot be used with standard ignition points.
(See the chart on the bottom of the Clark's Corvair Parts online catalog page 75) http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=75
1965-1969 Corvair Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram
1965-1969 Corvair Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram
Crane - Basic XR700 and XR3000 Hookup
Crane - Basic XR700 and XR3000 Hookup
Quick Test for Ballast Resistance
Quick Test for Ballast Resistance
Attachments
Pertronix Ignitor 12v neg Instructions.pdf
Pertronix Ignitor Instructions
(73.1 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Pertronix 91162A Ignitor II Instructions.pdf
Pertronix 91162A Ignitor II Instructions
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
Crane Cams XR700 Optically Triggered Installation Catalog Page.pdf
Crane Cams XR700 Optically Triggered Installation Catalog Page
(110.12 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Crane Cams XR700 Optically Triggered Installation Instructions.pdf
Crane Cams XR700 Optically Triggered Installation Instructions
(3.38 MiB) Downloaded 72 times
Brad Bodie
Pathfinder

Post by Pathfinder »

Thanks azdave - found them and the facebook 69 group too. Planning to register there soon! Brad: thanks again for the info in case I'm looking to revert back to the electronic ignition. For now the points seem to be doing a great job!
'14 Durango LTD
Rons64

Post by Rons64 »

Sharp looking car!! You should take it to the Fire Island Lighthouse show in September at RM State Park. Not many Vairs there and yours would be a nice addition. I lived on LI for many years and enjoyed cruising there.
Ron
Pathfinder

Post by Pathfinder »

Thanks Ron - I'll check out the show. The LI Corvair Chapter, of which I'm a new member, also has their show in Sept, and probably the same day! Are you sorry you left the Island? Tired of the snow, myself...
Phillip
'14 Durango LTD

Return to “Introductions”