New here

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
f3racer

New here

Post by f3racer »

Hey everyone, My name is William and im looking at picking up 3 Corvairs. I'll get to that in a second.

I am a 17yr vet of the US Army stationed near Savannah GA. I have 4 daughters, 3 dogs, and a great wife. I am an avid motorcyclist and am in charge of the MC safety program here for the Army. I raced for a few years to. I saw my 1st corvair in 2000 and was in love ever since. Now is where i might actually get to own 1, or 3. I am an active member of many forums and have been a mopar to gm convert for a few years. My 1st GM was my Chevy colorado, then a pontiac grand prix GXP that i loved, and then an 09 G8 GT.

Last week i was driving from Ft Stewart to Ft Benning and passed a house with about 10 older cars out front. A fairlane coupe, galaxie 500 2 door, desoto, lincoln limo, and 3 corvairs. 2 black coupes, and 1 red sedan. All pre 65. All have been sitting. So on the way back i stop and ask about them and the lady says anywhere from 500-1000 each depending on which one i want. So i took some pictures, got her number and went on my way. I took more pictures of the better of the three, but on my way home i decided i wanted all of them. I am going to call this afternoon and offer 1500 for all 3. The one i took the most pictures of is a 63 Monza 900 auto. Based off of the info i gathered on this forum it seems to have a few upgrades. i may be wrong though. Under the hood it looks all original except an alternator, what looks like a magnesium fan, and dual exhaust. The interior looks awesome.

Here are some pictures. Any thing you can tell me would be helpful. Ill post pics of the better of the 3 first.

here are the other 2 cars
registration from 1983!

i have plans for these cars. the nicer one will be a daily driver/resto mod with a strange engine swap. I plan on using an LS4 with a 4t65e-hd trans. She will look kind of like this one.

i am unsure why all of the sudden i am enjoying this type of look but i think the 4 door will get this look with a different set of wheels.

i think the 3rd car will stay all original and slowly be restored, with very small upgrades on things like the charging system and such.

My mom owns Sunstate Upholstry in Green Cove, FL so all my interior stuff is set. My wife manages a body shop in town and i can use whatever i need in there so body work, and paint are good to go. Im a decent mechanic so i think i can handle the rest. Ive restored and rebuilt bikes, and built wiring harnesses and such. Hopefully that helps. Never dealt with a boxer style 6 cylinder before, Only BMW boxer twins.

Every time i searched something on google i was sent here so i know there is a ton to learn on this forum.

Thanks, Will.
1968 corvair monza coupe

2010 VFR1200
09 SV650R

/G\ "Always Traveling East"

"Be water, my friend."
Bruce Lee
November 27, 1940- July 20, 1973
flat6_musik

Re: New here

Post by flat6_musik »

Welcome to the forum, Will!! Dang, you've got an understanding wife who manages a body shop?!......and your mom owns an upholstery shop?! LOL Dude......the corvair gods are smiling down on you already!! I hope we get to see some pics of "the goods" coming together soon! Glad to see ya on board!
f3racer

Post by f3racer »

Thanks flat6. Can anyone tell me which motor is in the picture.
1968 corvair monza coupe

2010 VFR1200
09 SV650R

"Be water, my friend."
Bruce Lee
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome: :pray: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

I've been around Corvairs since I was 8 years old (1961). I used to be stationed at Robins AFB in Warner Robins, and my sister used to be stationed at Fort Stewart, so I'm familiar with that area. I was in the Air Force for 24 years — from 1972 to 1996 — and retired as a MSgt (E7) in Pennsylvania, near Fort Indiantown Gap and the Harrisburg area. I relocated to North Carolina, on Lake Chatuge (about ¼ mile from the Georgia border and 4 miles north of Hiawassee, Georgia), in 2008 to care for my aging father. We drive Corvairs throughout my time on active duty in the Air Force, and still drive one now. I'm also a motorcyclist, and currently own a 2003 Yamaha FJR1300 sport touring bike and a 2002 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa. (I will probably sell the Hayabusa though, since at age 61 it is perhaps a bit much).

Your observations in your engine description appear to be spot on — a 1963 145 CI 102 hp engine with a magnesium blower and an alternator substitution. The engine serial number and cylinder head numbers might help to confirm the internal components, but the visual evidence seems to point to accurate observations on your part. The upgrades, window sticker on the side and the custom dual exhaust might indicate that a Corvair enthusiast has been an owner in the past. Hopefully the floor pans, trunk bottom, etc will have minimal rust. I think the wheel covers are from a 1965 or later Corvair, and the trim on the nose of the car and the tail light lenses are not 1963. A picture of the body tag in the engine compartment might reveal more about the car. The VIN tag (30927W116126) decodes as a 1963 Monza 2-door coupe. It was the 16126th Corvair built at Willow Run that year.

You say you passed a house in rural Georgia with about 10 older cars out front. Something of a perpetual yard sale? It seems that there are a lot of houses like that in central Georgia! ::-): It sounds like you have some great project plans. No PCS moves on the horizon? After adopting three orphan Corvairs, any relocation might be a bit of a hassle. Will they let those cars on Post, or do you have a place for them outside of Fort Stewart?

With 4 daughters, three dogs, and a wife, are you sure that three Corvairs will be enough? ::-):

The following Corvair Forum link can provide you with a list of useful websites that should be helpful as a Corvair owner. Lots of parts sources and free, downloadable technical manuals, shop manuals, parts and assembly guides, etc...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

There are three CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters in Georgia, but unfortunately none are near your location. All three are listed in the CORSA website that is included in the above link.

There is a big annual CORSA family get-together coming up in mid-April in Helen, Georgia (about 280 miles from your location). Since you and the family may be getting into Corvairs in a big way, I would suggest that you might consider a family outing to north Georgia on that weekend, so that you can socialize with numerous Corvair enthusiasts, see many Corvairs, meet club members, and just enjoy the sunshine in Helen, Georgia. If you are interested, I have attached a brochure in Adobe Reader format for you to look over.

SPRINGFEST 2014
Celebrating 30 Years of Corvairs in Helen
HOSTED BY: Corvair Atlanta, Heart of Georgia Corvair Club, and Queen City Corvair Club
at The Festhalle in Helen, Georgia
April 18-19, 2014
Clarks Corvair Parts will be here
Corvair Springfest - Helen GA - 2014.pdf
Corvair Springfest - Helen GA - 2014
(112.85 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Good luck with your Corvair-related plans, and I hope we hear a lot more in your future!

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
f3racer

Post by f3racer »

Bbodie...thanks for the ton of info. I love those fjr's. I have a cbr10000rr and an sv650. Image

I don't know about the age thing though. My dad is 65 and still rides his torture rack rc51 daily.

I didn't get any other numbers as I didn't know anything about it. The cars are 2hrs from me so I can't go back yet. I will soon though. They are near Eastman game.

The army is stabilizing people for longer times now because of how much out costs to move someone so no PCS moves for me.

I'll see if I can't talk the wife into Helen this month.
1968 corvair monza coupe

2010 VFR1200
09 SV650R

"Be water, my friend."
Bruce Lee
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Each person has to gauge their riding abilities and needs. I could (and have) ridden all day on the Yamaha, but I am still somewhat intimidated by the Hayabusa. Also, my wife is handicapped now and I am her primary caregiver, so I have to be careful about accidents and injury potential. The Hayabusa was bought as something of an ego thing, I suppose, but I ride the Yamaha much-more often by choice, so it really doesn't make sense for me to keep the seldom-ridden 200 mph Hayabusa.

My 1983 Honda CB1100F (Sold to my son)

My 2nd Motorcycle, a 1987 Honda Hurricane CBR1000F. Photo taken in 1990 at 7098 Evaline Lane, Austin, Texas while stationed at Bergstrom AFB (Sold)

My 3rd and 4th motorcycles - 2002 Suzuki GSX-1300R Hayabusa sport bike and 2003 Yamaha FJR1300 sport touring bike.

My current 1966 Corsa Convertible

Not shown: My 1991 Toyota Supra Turbo 5-Speed, Targa Top.
Brad Bodie
classicchevyowner7

Post by classicchevyowner7 »

Welcome! Good luck with your Corvairs! sounds like you have a good plan!
- Allen
f3racer

Post by f3racer »

Love those 'canes. I had an 88 600. My favorite bike of all time was my 1st. A 75 cb400f supersport. My 1krr is a great mixture of what I need. Plenty of power and great handling for track days a twisties. Comfy enough for longer rides. And light enough for the classes I teach. I have recently been thinking of a new vfr1200 with the accessory bags.
1968 corvair monza coupe

2010 VFR1200
09 SV650R

"Be water, my friend."
Bruce Lee
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

1st. black one is 63, 2nd black one is 64 & the red sedan looks to be 60 with the concave nose.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
f3racer

Post by f3racer »

Please school me on how you can tell the difference.
1968 corvair monza coupe

2010 VFR1200
09 SV650R

"Be water, my friend."
Bruce Lee
Skrain

Post by Skrain »

f3racer wrote:Please school me on how you can tell the difference.
The 1960 Corvair was the only year to have the concave nose, they are sometimes referred to as a "Caveman Corvair".
The other years will show a difference on the trim on the nose between the headlights.
Clark's catalog will show the differences as they sell replacement trim pieces.
1964 Monza Spyder Turbo Convertible.
1949 Ford 8N Tractor
2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4X4 Pickup
Jimmyvonviggle

Post by Jimmyvonviggle »

Here is a diagram of the fronts that might help.
Attachments
image.jpg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I made a minor correction... The 1965 front end is different from the 1966-1969 Corvairs. The Corvair logo is relocated from the trunk to a position adjacent to the driver's side headlights.
1960-1969 Corvair Front View.jpg
Brad Bodie
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

bbodie52 wrote:I made a minor correction...
another correction............the 60 trunk is right - theres no rib in the middle. the 61-4 should have a rib.

-Scott V.
f3racer

Post by f3racer »

So here is the body tags and vins for the cars. The tires are flat and the grass is high to I couldn't get engine numbers.
The 1960ImageImage

The 64
ImageImage
The 63Image
Last edited by f3racer on Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1968 corvair monza coupe

2010 VFR1200
09 SV650R

"Be water, my friend."
Bruce Lee
f3racer

Post by f3racer »

From what I can tell the 63 has Clark's ultimate exhaust underneath
1968 corvair monza coupe