New Guy 64 monza convert Peoria, IL

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
DAVECS1

New Guy 64 monza convert Peoria, IL

Post by DAVECS1 »

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am an avid Hot Rodder, got two in the garage, and this corvair will make a third. The corvair has been on my bucket list of cars since I was in high school. For the longest time my goal has always been to break the sound barrier (exaggerating here but you get the point :-) I suppose that's why it took so long for me too get one. Now that I have two kids and a wife, speed is not as high on the list of prerequisite fun car requirements. Words like convertible, space, 4 seats, all seem to hold importance as spending time with the family is a blast. As luck would have it my wife dragged me over to what she thought was the coolest convertible Mustang she had ever seen. She has always wanted one. Fortunately I got to inform her, that her Mustang was a corvair and I had always wanted one. Ever since I have causally looked for the right ride. Was not looking to drop alot of coin as I already have two rides that have that requirement, but was not so far gone that I would have to perform an epic restoration before the maiden voyage.

As of three weeks ago that corvair finally popped up. Literally a barn find. It has been sitting for years. It was last redone in the 80s some time. I can tell the last owner loved his car but his skills were limited. She has some sins but nothing that is cause for a complete tear down. I trailered home and did all the bar find car stuff. Brakes, brakes, and brakes lol! Rebuilt carbs, wheel bearings, replaced fuel lines and vacuum lines, new ignition stuff. She fired up and purred to life. She has the dreaded flywheel problem. I installed a Hi torque for now. The power pack will get dropped in the winter and everything will get updated and replaced. Probably get the new starter rebuilt. I imagine I will be tearing into the rockers this winter also as so one has attempted to shore them up, but they were not very talented. I have checked and the chassis seems to be solid for now, as jacking up in different places the door gaps and windshield seem to maintain their position. I like to think I am handy with my welders so it should work out.

So that's my epic story. Nice to be part of the group finally. I hope you will forgive me in the future, as I said I am a hotrodder, so my corvair will probably not remain totally stock.

Here she is.
1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 Speed
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: New Guy 64 monza convert Peoria, IL

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

It looks like you are off to to a good start with your newest acquisition – perhaps something that is more practical than your "hot rods" – a parts chaser and family grocery getter of sorts. Its nature as a convertible will probably make it fun for family outings when the weather is good.

You might want to consider investigating the local chapters of CORSA (Corvair Society of America). Socializing with local Corvair clubs can make Corvair ownership more enjoyable – possibly for the whole family – as many clubs organize car shows, picnics, rallys, and other family-friendly social gatherings for Corvair enthusiasts.

There are two CORSA chapters in Illinois... One based in the Chicago area (about 150 miles) and the other in Springfield, Illinois (about 78 miles).

CORSA (Corvair Society of America)

http://corvair.org/

CORSA (Corvair Society of America) Chapter Locator
Locating a local CORSA chapter near you can be very helpful, and attending meetings, parties, Corvair shows, etc. can greatly add to the enjoyment of your Corvair
https://www.corvair.org/index.php?optio ... crmSID=3_u

CORSA Chapter Locator - Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts
Chapter ID: 605
Organization Name: Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

Street Address (Primary): P.O. Box 704, Matteson, IL
President: Bill Stricker
Vice President: Kirk Parro, 2139 Hawthorne Rd, Homewood, IL 60430, (708) 798-4525
Secretary: Guy Brandes, 4255 W Touhy Ave, Lincolnwood, IL 60712, (847) 933-7740
Treasurer: Fred Castro
Director At Large: Bruce Quantock, 4108 Main St, Downers Grove, IL 60515, (630) 663-4580
Newsletter Editor: Charley Biddle
Newsletter Name: Airhorn
Email (Primary): clbiddle@comcast.net
For current monthly CCE information call our hotline 877-CORVAIR.

CORSA Chapter Locator - Prairie Capital Corvair Assn.
Chapter ID: 627
Organization Name: Prairie Capital Corvair Assn.

Street Address (Primary): P.O. Box 954, Springfield, IL 62705
President: Tim Mahler, 688 S Bradfordton Rd, Springfield, IL 62711, (217) 793-3824
Vice President: Bob Gwin
Secretary: Thema McKenzie
Treasurer: Jim Allen
Newsletter Editor: Tim Mahler
Newsletter Name: The Flat Six
Email (Primary): prairiecapital@corvair.org

Some of the Internet links listed here might prove to be useful to you...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

Would love to see more pictures of your Corvair, including the engine compartment, interior, etc. Pictures of the other cars in your collection would be great too!

Again, welcome! :welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Nice car, looks like someone put in highback seats? The EM's rarely sag in the center unless severely rusted, so a lack of sag does not necessarily mean no underbody rust. The EMs used a lot heavier steel than the LM cars. Regardless it sounds like you have the skills to tackle the rockers. Color looks like Silver Blue?
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
DAVECS1

Post by DAVECS1 »

Here is some of my other projects.

This is a 2001 roadstar. I bought it on year used sold it when we had our first kid. Then got the chance to buy it back in a less than stellar state. So I spent the winter getting it back to cool

This is the Firebird. It is a car I have always wanted. When I got my job here in peoria 13 years ago we purchased this. It has been a labor of love.

In the bike picture you can also see the vette. I will get some better photos of it. It was kind of an accidental acquisition. When my mom passed in 1997 me and my brothers and old man sat around depressed for a long time. Until on day dad said lets go look at the vette he found in the paper. It was an old barn find too. We all spent many years making it super cool. Dad wanted a newer vette for retirement. I could not bare to see this one go so he gave it to me and I helped him buy a triple black C5 convertible.
1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 Speed
DAVECS1

Post by DAVECS1 »

I have been meaning to take some more pictures of the Corvair for you all, but I keep getting sidetracked wrenching and driving it. I snapped a couple tonite with my phone after installing some new spark plug wires. Not the greatest, but a start. Hopefully I can get some with the real camera when out and about.

This was bringing it home I had this on the phone too.

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 Speed
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:coolphotos: :goodpost: She's lookin' really good! Keep up the good work and enjoy! :tu:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Introductions”